Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rent increase laws

Rent increase laws

Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent increase laws

Originally Posted by zamboooka
Thanks dude, I guess the best bet would be to just go for a 5% increase and forget about the market rates.. haha apparently my questions regarding this has made me a villian..so I should just stay hush on the matter

Do you give huge % discounts to BE members ????
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:16 pm
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MataHari
no need...two sides of the coin and all that
true true.. see you're sensible
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:17 pm
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Do you give huge % discounts to BE members ????
but wont the BE members get all upset if I threw the current tenants out for them?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

but wont the BE members get all upset if I threw the current tenants out for them?
Naaaa, Fu^k Em
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:18 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

nah...they are a hypocritical lot anyway....
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:19 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Naaaa, Fu^k Em
lol...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:21 pm
Viva la revolucion..

hahaha!!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

The Rent Committee is an experience best avoided for both sides- a negotiated settlement will always be better, cheaper and less time consuming for all concerned. I would either take the 5% and wait and see what next year brings by way of a rent cap or see if the tenant wants to sign up for a longer period than 1 year and negotiate from there.

I'm surprised you are renting out property in Dubai and aren't familiar with the rent cap laws though- it is a subject that is never out of the papers these days.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:28 pm
Viva la revolucion..

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
The Rent Committee is an experience best avoided for both sides- a negotiated settlement will always be better, cheaper and less time consuming for all concerned. I would either take the 5% and wait and see what next year brings by way of a rent cap or see if the tenant wants to sign up for a longer period than 1 year and negotiate from there.

I'm surprised you are renting out property in Dubai and aren't familiar with the rent cap laws though- it is a subject that is never out of the papers these days.
Havent read any news papers in ages. I know its lazy.. but anyway.. I agree with you on the 5% thingi. Makes sense.
Thanks man!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:41 pm
Viva la revolucion..

Originally Posted by Border Reiver

Dude I sent you a msg with some questions. Please reply whenever you can. Really appreciate it!

Sorry for the trouble.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

ok, i am clear about the 5% increase...but what about the market rate point? how is this going to work, does anyone know??

MM, xx
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody knows. It is one of those Dubai "gray areas" you may have heard about....
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dubai Knight
The market rate is set by the 5% government capping. This applies for a period of 24 months so if the rent is increased by the statutory 5% this year, the landlord cannot increase again next year.

As for moving tenants out; the landlord renews the contract every year and, if the tenant wishes to renew and is able to make the rent, (many now demand 1 cheque to make it harder for the tenant to find the cash) he has first refusal. Any attempt to move a sitting tenant out, even at the end of a contract, under spurious grounds (renovation etc.) is eligible for review by the Municipality Rent Tribunal. If they deem the reason unfair, then the landlord will be forced to allow the tenants to remain at the current rate and they may even impose a fine.

There is a plan afoot to grade all private properties in Dubai with a star system like hotels based on their location, facility and age. Each star grade will then have a set maximum and minimum rent the landlord is allowed to charge.

The spiralling rent situation in Dubai has been one of the major causes of an unprecedented 13% inflation rate, however the landlords seem unconcerned that it is screwing up their country, rather than lining their pockets in the short term.

Knight
Can someone explain what happens after the 24 months - for example, would this happen?

Year 1 - Rent agreed
Year 2 - Rent + 5%
Year 3 - Market rate

OR is it...

Year 1 - Rent agreed
Year 2 - Rent + 5%
Year 3 - Rent + 5%
Year 4 - Market rate.

I'm in the second lease year, I don't fancy a 100% rent increase this June when my lease runs out! But thats Abu Dhabi for you.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 3:44 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen it cited in the newspapers several times that after the same tenant has been in a property for three years, the landlord has a right to increase the rent to "market value", irrespective of whatever rent cap happens to be in place at the time.

So under the current rent laws, it would be more like :

Year 1 - rent agreed
Year 2 - rent as year 1
Year 3 - rent raised in accordance with rent cap at that time
Year 4 - market rate

Mind you, that's the rent law as it specifically applies to Dubai, not Abu Dhabi.

Last edited by Eeyore; Jan 28th 2008 at 3:47 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:54 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, anyone know how much a landlord's allowed to raise the rent by? As in what percentage? I've heard of some weird law that one cant even get rid of the tentants after the end of the contract without a valid reason (and the reason cant be rent increase)

Shame, shame, shame on you. Ernesto would choke on his havana there at such capitalism.Put up a Pinochet.

Thought about 'smoking' them out

Last edited by Eva; Jan 28th 2008 at 4:54 pm. Reason: sp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.