Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rent increase at the end of the first year

Rent increase at the end of the first year

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 7:06 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rent increase at the end of the first year

Hello.

So - there is supposedly a rule / law that landlords can not increase the rent after the first year of the contract (even if it is a one year contract).

It is only after 2 years that they can increase the rent. By 15% I guess with the recent announcement.

Does anyone actually know if this rule exisits and can be applied - i.e. that landlords in Dubai can not increase your rent after the first year.

Hoping to hear soon as the b*stards are doing the obvious...
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent increase at the end of the first year

There are a number of policies regarding rent control, true.
However they aren't worth the paper they are written on, as even the government themselves are unable to resist the temptation to gouge.

Take this for example.

"Flouting rules
A month after the government announced the 15 per cent cap on rent increases, the JAFZA sent out notices to companies in the free zone increasing the rent of the JAFZA labour accommodation by up to 53 per cent."

I'd expect I'm not the only expat who's already got one back packed to leave UAE?
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 7:52 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
There are a number of policies regarding rent control, true.
However they aren't worth the paper they are written on
Does anyone know of any online resource that actually allows one to study the actual laws of the UAE (especially with regards to housing!)?

Are they published at all? (Even if they are not worth the paper they are written on, I'd still like to read them!)

Thanks...
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Does anyone know of any online resource that actually allows one to study the actual laws of the UAE (especially with regards to housing!)?

Are they published at all? (Even if they are not worth the paper they are written on, I'd still like to read them!)

Thanks...
I've been in my place just coming up to one year and just received a notice advising my rent will increase by 15% (to the exact dirham).

I'm sacking it and going to share somewhere.......65,550 for a poky 1 bdrm in the red light district (both in terms of traffic lights and the lasses) is outrageous. :scared:
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:49 am
W10

The freeze (in theory) only applies to new properties. Not new rental contracts.

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day - for every person whinging about their rent increase and saying "sod that i'm outta here" there's another person only too happy to pay it and move in.
Rent increase are here for a while i'd say.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:19 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Hello.

So - there is supposedly a rule / law that landlords can not increase the rent after the first year of the contract (even if it is a one year contract).

It is only after 2 years that they can increase the rent. By 15% I guess with the recent announcement.

Does anyone actually know if this rule exisits and can be applied - i.e. that landlords in Dubai can not increase your rent after the first year.

Hoping to hear soon as the b*stards are doing the obvious...

No, The rent Cap is only 15% every year That Too it can be increased by 51% it like counting 1+1=11 (welcome to dubai) ... ppl have the way to do it

To keep yourself safe look for a above 1yr contract. depending how long you wanna stay here.

On you second question, No you cannot read and refer to the UAE Penal/Federal and Civil laws (also regards to uae housing laws). They are in Arabic and Come in a guide/publication for lawyers! I doubt it you could have access to it as the lawyers may then go home and be jobless.

are you interested in a 7years contract? House in Umm suqeim 5bedroom, hall, roof, garden, 3 car parking space, (swimming pool space)... AED 135/-K.

7Yrs Contract.

Let me know.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:20 am
W10

I'd say another 6 months.

Then the market will have thousands more apartments on stream.

Villa prices will keep rising.

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by W10
I'd say another 6 months.

Then the market will have thousands more apartments on stream.

Villa prices will keep rising.
Yeah - lot of apartments coming online soon but plenty of people arriving in this palce to fill them and then some.....and then you've got all the ones who have spent the last year or so sharing but who don't necessarily want to share.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:45 am
W10

Depends on where you will live. Prices already falling at the Marina.

When Jumeirah Beach Residences are finished in June. There will an extra 10,000 apartments available in one go.

Thousands also nearing completion in Al Basrha.

Prices will fall - the population isn't rising as quickly as that...also coupled with the reports in the Arabic press today about VAT being introduced from 2007....

Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by W10
Depends on where you will live. Prices already falling at the Marina.

When Jumeirah Beach Residences are finished in June. There will an extra 10,000 apartments available in one go.

Thousands also nearing completion in Al Basrha.

Prices will fall - the population isn't rising as quickly as that...also coupled with the reports in the Arabic press today about VAT being introduced from 2007....
Well - in the meantime i'll be living in my car (again)....and this one hasn't even got a roof :-(
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:01 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Well - in the meantime i'll be living in my car (again)....and this one hasn't even got a roof :-(
dont think it would be a big deal. You just n eed an umbrella for special occasion
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Anyone got a maids room they want to rent out?
It's all I need.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 10:17 am