Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rent increase annoyance - what would you do?

Rent increase annoyance - what would you do?

Old Jan 16th 2012, 10:42 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rent increase annoyance - what would you do?

So according to RERA site we are not due for a rent increase...

Landlord is not listening to this argument, says we are paying way less than market rate... maybe we are, but as per RERA no increase is due. We're at the end of year one here...

These are the options given to us (in a crappy way I have to say):-

No increase in rent but pay in one cheque (currently it's two)
5% increase and remain on 2 cheques

My options are to accept either of the above or

Stick to my guns and go to RERA.

He claims that if I stick to my guns and go to RERA he'll either sell or move his family in to my apartment. (He's full of BS - he lives in Russia and owns several properties plus he paid more than what the market value for the apartment is so either way his argument is BS)

What would you do? 1 cheque, accept 5% increase as you want to flat but not the hassle or go RERA route..

HELP!
Old Jan 16th 2012, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all
Default Re: Rent increase annoyance - what would you do?

Originally Posted by Autonomy
So according to RERA site we are not due for a rent increase...

Landlord is not listening to this argument, says we are paying way less than market rate... maybe we are, but as per RERA no increase is due. We're at the end of year one here...

These are the options given to us (in a crappy way I have to say):-

No increase in rent but pay in one cheque (currently it's two)
5% increase and remain on 2 cheques

My options are to accept either of the above or

Stick to my guns and go to RERA.

He claims that if I stick to my guns and go to RERA he'll either sell or move his family in to my apartment. (He's full of BS - he lives in Russia and owns several properties plus he paid more than what the market value for the apartment is so either way his argument is BS)

What would you do? 1 cheque, accept 5% increase as you want to flat but not the hassle or go RERA route..

HELP!
Rent committee will decide the case in your favour of no increase at the end of first year.

You need to pay court fees of 5% of annual rent up front, but whoever wins the case ends up footing the bill for the fees.

It was quite a hassle when I did it in 2008, but I only had that option, or downsizing considerably or paying about 50% more than my then existing annual rent for a similarly sized property.

With the current market, I would say you should weigh up which is more hassle - 3 or 4 trips to the rent committee or moving house and leaving him with no rent at all.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:09 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a huge fan of the rent committee but for 1 cheque or 5% increase realistically you'd be better taking either option than faffing around at the municipality, multiple trips work time, parking etc etc.
Pay up and **** up the place before you do eventually leave if you still feel aggrieved
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:33 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

My initial reaction would be to be bloody minded and take the complaint to RERA. Second reaction would be to want to move as LL is clearly a git. Third reaction would be to pay in one cheque to avoid the hassle and cost of moving.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on what the going rate is for similar properties. We are paying 80K and accepted no rental decrease (nor increase either) simply because the going rate for a 3-bed villa in Garhoud according to RERA is well over 125K.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
It really depends on what the going rate is for similar properties. We are paying 80K and accepted no rental decrease (nor increase either) simply because the going rate for a 3-bed villa in Garhoud according to RERA is well over 125K.
Sorry about this, fact is that it will cost you 5% (fees) + 10k AED (shifters as they say here) to move. Suck it up.

I would offer 2 cheques and same rent. Then, when he says no. I would turn around and bend over while writing out the single cheque.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:04 pm