Rent Increase

Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Max the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really nice
Default Rent Increase

What are the current rules on rental increase?

I have a private landlord who owns the apartment and they have asked for a 15% increase on the new contract. I thought you could only increase 7% year on year??
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent Increase

In abu dhabi, I understand there was a 7% cap that was reduced to 5%. Providing you give the correct notice period you have an automatic right to renew your tenancy for 4 years at the end of the first lease.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
In abu dhabi, I understand there was a 7% cap that was reduced to 5%. Providing you give the correct notice period you have an automatic right to renew your tenancy for 4 years at the end of the first lease.
correct, although for leases renewed after Q4, 2010 the landlord can kick you out at will, so in effect no rent cap.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max the Dog
What are the current rules on rental increase?

I have a private landlord who owns the apartment and they have asked for a 15% increase on the new contract. I thought you could only increase 7% year on year??
Are you in Dubai or AD? If Dubai, I would tell them that you are not going to renew, there are lots of bargains out there.
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Are you in Dubai or AD? If Dubai, I would tell them that you are not going to renew, there are lots of bargains out there.
After 5 years in our flat - I refused to renew, as they wouldn't offer the same rate that's published in Gulf News by dozens of people renting the same type of unit in the same development!

There's no reason to pay any premium in Dubai.
It'll be a renters market for a long time. Now is a good time to move to a better apartment.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Max the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really niceMax the Dog is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
To be honest, we are paying slightly under the rate advertised for the same development, but I was under the impression that the landlord cannot increase above the cap (what is this currently?)
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:33 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that in Dubai the landlord can only increase the rent by a max of 5%, and then only after the second year. Just dealing with a tenancy agreement for one of our guys where the (Brit) landlords want a clause stating that the tenancy is only for 1 year, after which the landlord has the right to terminate, and if there is continuation it will be under a new agreement with a new price. We've rejected it--it really is a buyer's market now, and even in AbDab everything's negotiable.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

the rules differ slightly from ad to dxb. in dxb you cannot have a rental increase in the second year and then they are decided each year, currently at 5&. in abu dhabi you can have an increase every year, currently 5%. but with this new law they are bringing in come next november, they can evict you with 2 months notice if you are paying way under the market rates etc. it was originally 7% which was knocked down a few years ago to 5%. so first of all in which emirate are you talking about?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Max the Dog
To be honest, we are paying slightly under the rate advertised for the same development, but I was under the impression that the landlord cannot increase above the cap (what is this currently?)
and quite often in ad i know, they do increase more than the 5% because there was not any recourse, but hopefully with the new rules it should make it better in that respect.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Well I spoke to Better Homes and they said because the contract will be on its second year, the landlord cannot increase at all. You can only increase on the 3rd year and then only by 5% !