Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Saudi Arabia?

Relocating to Saudi Arabia?

Old Jan 9th 2005, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Heatherindoha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating to Saudi Arabia?

Would anyone be able to shed light on a move to Saudi Arabia?? Which cities are ok to move to with a family? thank you
Old Jan 9th 2005, 4:33 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Saudi Arabia?

Originally Posted by Heatherindoha
Would anyone be able to shed light on a move to Saudi Arabia?? Which cities are ok to move to with a family? thank you

my brothers in dammam and says he wants out asap as hes sick of getting shot at and the security of his compound scares him ( this is a guy who was in the british army and who got paid to get shot at!!!)
so i would say thats a no no as for the others i have a friend in jeddah whos company just paid for him to line his houses walls with bullet proof steel so id say thats buggered as well. why you moving/thinking of moving to the kingdom of doom?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 1:12 am
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Re: Relocating to Saudi Arabia?

My family and I lived in Riyadh from April 2000 to June 2004. There is no place in the Kingdom that you would be safe. Riyadh, Yanbu, Jeddeh, Al Khobar, basically every city has had bombings, kidnappings, drive-by shootings and major harassment of anyone who is not Saudi. The people don't want outsiders there and the government has a strong policy of "Saudi-ization" meaning doing away with all expats within a specified period of time. While the money is tempting and the life-style is fairly comfortable, living in fear for yourself and your family is no way to live. You can't even go to the grocery store or the bank without fear of being harassed or kidnapped or shot. My husband is middle-eastern (Iranian) and even he was beaten up by 5 young Saudis at a stop light "for fun" according to the police. Apparently the young Saudi men find it entertaining to hunt down expats and beat the bloody hell out of them. Please find somewhere else to live and work. The "Magic Kingdom" has lost its sparkle and it definately isn't worth your life!
Good Luck, Tami
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:06 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with the above post. I was there a year and was shot at, and the compound across the road was blown up.
The most secure compound in Riyadh seems to be Cordoba Oasis Village and Arizona. Because they have been targeted before, the security is very very good. Tanks at the main entrance, machine gun posts at every junction, and Saudi National Guard with machine guns at every checkpoint and intersection.
But this also asks the question...would you want to live like this.??????????????/
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:28 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Have to agree with the above post. I was there a year and was shot at, and the compound across the road was blown up.
The most secure compound in Riyadh seems to be Cordoba Oasis Village and Arizona. Because they have been targeted before, the security is very very good. Tanks at the main entrance, machine gun posts at every junction, and Saudi National Guard with machine guns at every checkpoint and intersection.
But this also asks the question...would you want to live like this.??????????????/
exactly.... offered roles in Saudi but always turned them down for the reasons above. Family used to be there years ago before it got nasty and all say do not go there at all....
Old Jan 10th 2005, 5:55 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Some friends from my country were living in the same compound that was bombarded last year. Thankfully non of their family was at home when it happened. Their personal opinion is that no money in the world would send them back to Saudi.

Good Luck with yr decision Heather....................by the way I am in Doha as well surprise surprise!!!

Morning JC long time no see...........ur leg any better??