Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Relocating with my little girl for my husband's job - what's it like/where to live??

Relocating with my little girl for my husband's job - what's it like/where to live??

Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:27 am
Just Joined

MAMMY_ALEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Relocating with my little girl for my husband's job - what's it like/where to live??

Hi, I'm 31 and have a 7 month old little girl . My husband has been offered a job in Abu Dhabi so we're weighing everything up before we decide. I need some advice from like-minded women of a similar age living in Abu Dhabi...

1) Where is good to live? We'll need to find an apartment/house within a week of being there. I like nice furnishings as I currently live in an old victorian house with high ceilings and a mixture of old reclaimed and new furniture etc - I'm very particular! I have a feeling I'm going to be quite picky! Don't mind something more modern and bright than i have at home here in the UK. Does anyone have any recommendations for particular apartment blocks/areas near the coastline/in the city which might be nice and suitable for families. Budget would only be around 110,000drm pm. Need min 2 bed, but preferably 3 for when family come to visit.

2) What social-scene/activities are there for families? Pre-school groups, clubs, baby yoga baby language etc??

3) What health clubs does anyone recommend for families?

4) How safe is it?

5) Will I look back??

xx
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Relocating with my little girl for my husband's job - what's it like/where to liv

Originally Posted by MAMMY_ALEX
Hi, I'm 31 and have a 7 month old little girl . My husband has been offered a job in Abu Dhabi so we're weighing everything up before we decide. I need some advice from like-minded women of a similar age living in Abu Dhabi...

1) Where is good to live? We'll need to find an apartment/house within a week of being there. I like nice furnishings as I currently live in an old victorian house with high ceilings and a mixture of old reclaimed and new furniture etc - I'm very particular! I have a feeling I'm going to be quite picky! Don't mind something more modern and bright than i have at home here in the UK. Does anyone have any recommendations for particular apartment blocks/areas near the coastline/in the city which might be nice and suitable for families. Budget would only be around 110,000drm pm. Need min 2 bed, but preferably 3 for when family come to visit.

2) What social-scene/activities are there for families? Pre-school groups, clubs, baby yoga baby language etc??

3) What health clubs does anyone recommend for families?

4) How safe is it?

5) Will I look back??

xx
1- Dunno, probably, other folk will know better.
2- Loads probably, other folk will know better.
3- Most apartments have gym/pool etc.
4- Pretty safe. Unlikely to get mugged, apart from when paying for beer.
5- Nah. **** that. What's the point in being here and dreaming of the UK?

My NY resolution involved being more helpful to other people. I feel like I've tried but miserably failed. Sorry.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:52 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating with my little girl for my husband's job - what's it like/where to liv

1) I presume you mean a budget of AED 110k per year. Before deciding on an area you need to consider where your husband will be working. Dubai is a new city so most buildings are pretty new. For that budget you are looking at a small villa inland or an apartment. There is no real centre to Dubai, so you'll need to look at a map to see where areas are.

2) Loads of things to do for small children and their parents.

3) Do you mean a gym? Many apartment buildings have a small building and pool.

4) Compared to UK cities and towns - very. Driving can be a bit dodgy, but you soon learn to drive very defensively.

5) That largely depends on your attitude. Dubai is very different to the UK, no matter the first impressions, and whilst it isn't for everyone, you can have a good life here, assuming the money is right.

Good luck.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
1) I presume you mean a budget of AED 110k per year. Before deciding on an area you need to consider where your husband will be working. Dubai is a new city so most buildings are pretty new. For that budget you are looking at a small villa inland or an apartment. There is no real centre to Dubai, so you'll need to look at a map to see where areas are.

4) Compared to UK cities and towns - very. Driving can be a bit dodgy, but you soon learn to drive very defensively.

5) That largely depends on your attitude. Dubai is very different to the UK, no matter the first impressions, and whilst it isn't for everyone, you can have a good life here, assuming the money is right.

Good luck.
It's Abu Dhabi, sorry, not Dubai.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Good luck.
thanks scamp!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MAMMY_ALEX
It's Abu Dhabi, sorry, not Dubai.
My mistake. The answers are pretty much the same, although there is less to do in AD and rents are more expensive. You still need to know where your husband will be working as traffic can be bad.

A week to out accommodation is doable, but ideally you'd want longer so you can check out areas properly. Get your husband to negotiate for the company to put you up for a few more weeks as it's quite common for people to have a month to get sorted.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

raining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to all

I was also concerned about the furniture situation! Exactly the same as you in that respect but fear not - there are some gorgeous furniture shops here (Marina, The One). Unfortunately they have gorgeous price tags to match. However if you like reclaimed furniture and are prepared to tart pieces up yourself, buy stuff from dubizzle or there's a second hand furniture shop in Khalidyah. This is what I do as I did it as part of my business back in the UK. You don't have to live with all flat-pack stuff!

Someone else will probably be able to help with the areas for families. We don't have kids but live at Al Zeina which is very family friendly as it has a private beach and several pools and gyms. Our 2bed with sea view is 130,000 dhs a year but something without a sea view may be in your budget. Housing is very expensive here. Khalifa City A is good value with lots of variety. Really though, it does all depend on where the job is. The driving is dreadful here and you don't want to have to contend with that anymore than is necessary.

Loads of gyms, especially The Club for families although there may be waiting lists. Loads of nurseries etc too.

It's very safe here (apart from driving but you get used to it quickly).

You'll only look back if you don't make the best of your situation, as with everything. I've been here almost a year and whilst there are days when I hate the place, I do like it here. I'm never going to love it but it's a nice place to live for a few years.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I live in an old Victorian Villa with high ceilings. You'll be fine. Mine is like a mid-terrace house in Putney.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by raining
there are some gorgeous furniture shops here (Marina, The One). Unfortunately they have gorgeous price tags to match..
OP, Read the above as:

Eye wateringly, cripplingly expensive.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

raining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to allraining is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Scamp
OP, Read the above as:

Very true. I'd balk at those prices even if I were worth millions.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by raining
Very true. I'd balk at those prices even if I were worth millions.
Don't get me wrong, I know there are folk out here who earn the money and can afford / want to buy that stuff but lord above. I saw a leather arm chair, the kind I want for the bedroom to sit and read books in, make notes and ponder life from (read: Chuck my clothes all over) but they wanted 11,000 for it. In the sale.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:03 am
Bored liberal

OP, Read the above as:

You can buy wooden furniture very similar to what you find in Marina, but at a fraction of the price, if you can deal with a warehouse that isn't in a shiny mall. Seems a lot of people never shop anywhere apart from the giant malls.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:05 am
Account Closed

You can buy wooden furniture very similar to what you find in Marina, but at a fraction of the price, if you can deal with a warehouse that isn't in a shiny mall. Seems a lot of people never shop anywhere apart from the giant malls.
Antiques Museum or somewhere different?

Never found AM to be that cheap, just a great place to take visitors.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:12 am
Bored liberal

Antiques Museum or somewhere different?

Never found AM to be that cheap, just a great place to take visitors.
AM doesn't have much furniture. Safita is the place for wooden furniture. You can also pick up some bargains for the home at Global Village, especially in the last weeks.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:19 am
Account Closed

AM doesn't have much furniture. Safita is the place for wooden furniture. You can also pick up some bargains for the home at Global Village, especially in the last weeks.
Still never been to GV. Might have to go look. Is it still going or shut now?

Safita - will google. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.