British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Relocating from London to Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/relocating-london-riyadh-484782/)

brookerj Oct 2nd 2007 9:55 am

Relocating from London to Riyadh

Hi everyone,

Firstly I wanted to say "Hi". I am in the process of negotiating a new employment contract which will support the relocation of my family and I to Riyadh for a couple of years. Can't wait to leave the gloomy UK behind :)

Although I have experience of working with many arabic people and organisations, this will be our first ever move outside Europe. We are completely committed to the move and the change in lifestyle, culture etc. Esecpailly as we have spent the last couple of months reading up on the transition.

However, thre are a few things that I have not been able to find answers to. Can anyone help me with the following?

1) What items are normally included with the accomodation at the Al-Hamra compound? For example, should we ship over our dining room furniture, lounge suite, beds and bedding, big flat screen TV and audio gear, PC computers ?

2) Are there restrictions on bringing over professional business reading material, such as published books, CDs and software (such as MS-Office, Adobe Photoshop, Maths for kids, Arabic learning materials) ?

3) Are there restrictions on bringing family photo albums, such as family holidays, wedding photos and videos etc. (Some 200megabytes worth and all stored on our PC) ?

4) How long should I plan to be in Saudi before the family can realistically join me? After processing of residency visas, gaining entry to school(s), and sorting out accomodation ?

5) Most importantly. I have been asked to take up a very senior role as a board director for a Riyadh business. What sort of things should I watch out for? Does anyone have any tips or pointers with regards my due-diligence of the company before I finally accept an offer? I am especially concerned about the pecking order when blame is aportioned, especially concerning company executives and taking on debt in order to grow the business.

I very much look forward to any help you can provide with any or all of the above questions.

All the best,
JB

Paidtoplease Oct 2nd 2007 11:33 am

Re: Relocating from London to Riyadh

Welcome, sorry can't help re Riyadh as in Dubai but may be an idea to search the forum as it may answer most of your questions from previous posts.

maranelloman Oct 2nd 2007 1:11 pm

Good choice. I've lived in Riyadh and its a good city. I'll be moving to Jeddah at the end of the year myself. Anyway I'll try and answer your questions.

1. Compounds are usually available furnished and unfurnished. Unfurnished is empty. Furnished usually included everything including the TV, but no bed linen etc. Pots and pans, plates etc were also not included. PC were not included. You may be better giving the compound a call to clarify with them.

2. I had no problem taking my reading materials/manuals etc. Software you mentioned should be fine, especially since all the shops sell copies!

3. I had not problems with photos etc. No one asked to check my PC either.

4. Expect your Iqama to take about 6 weeks. 4 weeks if you are lucky. Once you get there you will have to apply for their Iqama which will probably take another 6 weeks. It all depends on timing too as Ramadan will slow everything down as well as Eid (mid Oct & mid Dec). Offices close for 5 days from memory. As for schools you can do what I am doing. We have already narrowed it down and spoken to 2 schools and when I get there I will sort out accomodation and schools ready for the kids to arrive. My wife might fly out with me on a business/visitors visa to help me choose and then fly back. I'll then return to pick them up when the visa is done.

5. Cant help you much here. I was based in a bank. But be prepared for things to move very slowly and for life to be restrictive. But saying that its a great place to live as a family.

Good luck!
Adnaan.

Alexa Oct 2nd 2007 3:35 pm

You might want to take a look at www.sainsaudi.com

They are very helpful.
Good luck!

maranelloman Oct 2nd 2007 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Lady Lou (Post 5378280)
You might want to take a look at www.sainsaudi.com

They are very helpful.
Good luck!

Maybe this one?
http://www.sainsaudi.co.za/blog/

brookerj Oct 2nd 2007 10:25 pm

Thanks for the info.

I found http://www.sainsaudi.co.za and have reviewed intensively this evening. Great reading but also, more importantly, very helpful ;)

I'm visiting Riyadh next week and Dubai, in order to orientate myself and look around various compunds, schools etc whilst meeting potential employers.

Maranelloman - your feedback has been very helpful and is much appreciated.

Any idea what a container costs to transport for items from the UK to Riyadh? Can anyone suggest a good, reputed shipping company in the UK or Saudi?

Thanks again,
JB

Alexa Oct 3rd 2007 10:10 am

Yep, that is the one.:thumbsup:

maranelloman Oct 3rd 2007 11:09 am

Originally Posted by brookerj (Post 5379664)

Any idea what a container costs to transport for items from the UK to Riyadh? Can anyone suggest a good, reputed shipping company in the UK or Saudi?

Thanks again,
JB

No idea but if you find out let me know!

Nic1 Oct 3rd 2007 11:33 am

Hi can't answer all the questions, but re your family joining you - my husband moved to Riyadh at the beg of Feb and we finally arrived on 8th May. We had to wait for my husband's paperwork to be sorted before we could start on ours - there was a slight holdup with ours and we had to fly in and out of London, so it might be possible to do it slightly quicker. But I would allow 6-8 weeks.

Re the schools if it's the British School you are looking at one word of advice - get the medical done before you leave UK - we didn't realise that the children couldn't start school until the medical had been done - so that wasted another week out here - they insist on urine and stool samples . . . . Not sure what they thought they might be harboiuring!!

We had no problems with getting in our photos as our container wasn't inspected at all. However, on the advise of a friend we pput our Christmas tree ornaments into storage with other stuff - some have great sentimental value . . .

Good luck on the move.
Nicola