British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Relocating to Dubai -Hints and tips help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/relocating-dubai-hints-tips-help-275506/)

durq Jan 5th 2005 1:59 pm

Relocating to Dubai -Hints and tips help!

Hi all, I'm moving to Dubai with my parter in April. We are both in our mid twenties, I have a job already sorted (my company is taking me over). My missus is an A&E nurse here in London and wants to carry on in the same field out there. and I'm looking for some general hints and tips on the best ways to achieve it from those in the know...

What have you or your friends found easy or difficult about relocating out there?

Whats the current accomodation situation like? (we'd be looking for a 2 bed apartment)

Any reccomendations for shipping my stuff out there? ie How much is it worth taking with me in terms of furniture and possesions, and how much is it likely to cost?

Any idea how easy she'll find work?

Anything I should get written into my contract before I sign that I would automatically think of?

I'm really exited about the move, its a little way off yet but I want to start planning soon.

Sorry if this has all been asked a hundred times before, if someone could point me in the right direction it'd be most appreciated!
:)

Thanks in advance for your help
Dave

Heart of gold Jan 5th 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Relocating to Dubai -Hints and tips help!

[QUOTE]

Originally Posted by durq
Hi all, I'm moving to Dubai with my parter in April. We are both in our mid twenties, I have a job already sorted (my company is taking me over). My missus is an A&E nurse here in London and wants to carry on in the same field out there. and I'm looking for some general hints and tips on the best ways to achieve it from those in the know...

What have you or your friends found easy or difficult about relocating out there?

Whats the current accomodation situation like? (we'd be looking for a 2 bed apartment)

Any reccomendations for shipping my stuff out there? ie How much is it worth taking with me in terms of furniture and possesions, and how much is it likely to cost?

Anything I should get written into my contract before I sign that I would automatically think of?

I'm really exited about the move, its a little way off yet but I want to start planning soon.

Sorry if this has all been asked a hundred times before, if someone could point me in the right direction it'd be most appreciated!

:)

Im sure someone will be able to advise you, perhaps myself when I have given this a little more thought but for now .... I was a community auxillary nurse in the uk and though there are some great hospitals here, I was not prepared to work long hours for little pay.

Heart

Bob Jan 5th 2005 2:22 pm

can't help to much, but you had a chance to go through the faq's yet? loads of info there....might be able to help with some of the q's :)

durq Jan 5th 2005 2:23 pm

thanks for the quick reply! She know that there uisn't likely to be some pot of gold over there, but then again she's been working 12 hour shifts at A&E in St Marys Paddington for 4 years on NHS salary so how much worse can it be?!!

Heart of gold Jan 5th 2005 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by durq
thanks for the quick reply! She know that there uisn't likely to be some pot of gold over there, but then again she's been working 12 hour shifts at A&E in St Marys Paddington for 4 years on NHS salary so how much worse can it be?!!

Longer hours, and the pay is crap!

Truth Speak Jan 5th 2005 3:40 pm

Nursing is porly paid as lots of far eastern girls come across....don't expect more than 500 GBP a month...

Depends on yr frame of mind.....if u r uptight..everything is difficult....if u r laid back...nothings a problem...but you'll have to learn patience!!!!

Not good....prices vary from 50 - 70 K AEd a year....short supply also...don't expect to find one as soon as u land.

For a 2 bed apartment...the cost to furnish will be the same as hiring a 20 foot container and shipping everything u own out here.....we did for a 3....wish we hadn't. theres some lovely solid wood furniture here at a fraction of UK costs, and Ikea...depends how attached u r..... a 20 footer costs about two and a half grand with insurance.....takes 2 weeks....

easy if she takes a massive pay cut.. However if she changes profession and works under yr sponsorship she could get a better paid job, pa, or the likes quite easily....

Lots.....schooling if u have or plan to have a family - some schools charge up to 16000 AED a term, the average for a good uk curriculum is about 9k - car allowance.....1500 AED is good a month. cars and fuel are cheep. Housing as above..... make sure the municipality tax is covered - 5% of annual rent if renting...... food is the same as the Uk if u r not choosy. If u like Uk brands its more.....same for clothing etcetera....... medical insurance with a good hospital such as the American....make sure drugs are covered.......thats about it I think,

Good luck.
Hope I havent put u off

HNY TS....

Malteser Jan 5th 2005 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Nursing is porly paid as lots of far eastern girls come across....don't expect more than 500 GBP a month...

Depends on yr frame of mind.....if u r uptight..everything is difficult....if u r laid back...nothings a problem...but you'll have to learn patience!!!!

Not good....prices vary from 50 - 70 K AEd a year....short supply also...don't expect to find one as soon as u land.

For a 2 bed apartment...the cost to furnish will be the same as hiring a 20 foot container and shipping everything u own out here.....we did for a 3....wish we hadn't. theres some lovely solid wood furniture here at a fraction of UK costs, and Ikea...depends how attached u r..... a 20 footer costs about two and a half grand with insurance.....takes 2 weeks....

easy if she takes a massive pay cut.. However if she changes profession and works under yr sponsorship she could get a better paid job, pa, or the likes quite easily....

Lots.....schooling if u have or plan to have a family - some schools charge up to 16000 AED a term, the average for a good uk curriculum is about 9k - car allowance.....1500 AED is good a month. cars and fuel are cheep. Housing as above..... make sure the municipality tax is covered - 5% of annual rent if renting...... food is the same as the Uk if u r not choosy. If u like Uk brands its more.....same for clothing etcetera....... medical insurance with a good hospital such as the American....make sure drugs are covered.......thats about it I think,

Good luck.
Hope I havent put u off

HNY TS....

Would be nice if someone moved to Doha huh!!!!!!!.....................not fair, we never get to answer any calls for help :(

shiva Jan 5th 2005 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Malteser
Would be nice if someone moved to Doha huh!!!!!!!.....................not fair, we never get to answer any calls for help :(

i met up with the doha rugby club through some ex doha friends at the 7's....... boy u guys know how to party... bloody brilliant....almost enough fun to make me move to doha...

Malteser Jan 5th 2005 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by shiva
i met up with the doha rugby club through some ex doha friends at the 7's....... boy u guys know how to party... bloody brilliant....almost enough fun to make me move to doha...

YYYYYoooohhhhoooooooooooooo something positive about Doha......finally.

And about time too!!!!! hehe

Truth Speak Jan 5th 2005 4:29 pm

Awwwwwww...we could make up a troll for u......nearly moved there once myself...about 5 yrs ago....u feeling sorry 4 yrself 2nite malt??

Malteser Jan 5th 2005 4:32 pm

Awwwwwww...we could make up a troll for u......nearly moved there once myself...about 5 yrs ago....u feeling sorry 4 yrself 2nite malt??

Nah.

TS where is todays highlights report????? lol

Truth Speak Jan 5th 2005 4:36 pm

Nah.

TS where is todays highlights report????? lol

In your head malt.....quick before it melts...iccarus had that problem

Malteser Jan 5th 2005 4:40 pm

In your head malt.....quick before it melts...iccarus had that problem

LOL..............dont know how Im going to survive once its starts getting v hot

Truth Speak Jan 5th 2005 4:43 pm

LOL..............dont know how Im going to survive once its starts getting v hot

Ice, lotsa ice......has its uses

Malteser Jan 5th 2005 4:44 pm

Ice, lotsa ice......has its uses

hmmmmm sure do