Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Dubai

Relocating to Dubai

Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:01 pm
kgc
Just Joined

kgc has a spectacular aura aboutkgc has a spectacular aura aboutkgc has a spectacular aura about
Default Relocating to Dubai

Just found out we are moving to Dubai in about a month and are really stressing re the following:
1. whether to ship our furniture or not (is unfurnished accomodoation quite common there? we will be looking for a 1 bedroom flat)
2. if shipping our furniture - which company to use (my research online was very confusing
3. my husbands' job is secured - mine not - what are the chances to find a good job for someone with 5years of dental practice management experience, is it best to register with agencies or look online?
4. Knowing Dubai roads - we would like to get a 4x4 - where is the best place to rent a car?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 4th 2010, 2:15 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Dubai

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including the Middle East can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I can't answer your questions for you I'm afraid but I'm sure that someone will be along soon to help you.

Alistair.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:10 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

ooo... right.

1/ to ship or not to ship? Well, you can get furnished apartments for about 10- 20kAED per year more expensive than unfurnished... it also depends how much relocation and/or housing allowance your husband's company might be giving you (if any nowadays!) and/or how much you like your own furniture. We decided not to ship any furniture, just our personal possessions and to buy stuff here. As a wild guesstimate, I'd say 85% of apartments are unfurnished. There's also the option of a serviced apartment, where all bills are included in the price. It's a tad more expensive than having your own place, but offers far more flexibility in terms of paying month-on-month.

2/ we used Dory Bonner (a certain Andrew dealt with it all and was very knowledgeable and on the ball - as well as chatty!)

3/ I don't know. I'm making the most of being able to live comfortably on one salary to take a bit of a career break. Saying that, there are lots of dental practices here (and new ones opening up in new residential areas) so you'd probably stand a good chance. Personally, I'd apply directly to the practices.

4/ We used to use Diamond Lease through Mr Kitty's old company, although I'm not sure if they are the cheapest around. You may want to consider buying a second hand 4x4 instead of renting one, as it would be the cheaper option. We were paying around 2.8k AED per month for a cruddy Mitsubishi Gallant, which is the same size as a Vectra. Have a look on Dubizzle.com for second hand cars...

Hope this helps! Welcome to the Sandpit!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:17 pm
kgc
Just Joined

kgc has a spectacular aura aboutkgc has a spectacular aura aboutkgc has a spectacular aura about

Thank you so much
Old Sep 4th 2010, 7:10 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty View Post
ooo... right.

1/ to ship or not to ship? Well, you can get furnished apartments for about 10- 20kAED per year more expensive than unfurnished... it also depends how much relocation and/or housing allowance your husband's company might be giving you (if any nowadays!) and/or how much you like your own furniture. We decided not to ship any furniture, just our personal possessions and to buy stuff here. As a wild guesstimate, I'd say 85% of apartments are unfurnished. There's also the option of a serviced apartment, where all bills are included in the price. It's a tad more expensive than having your own place, but offers far more flexibility in terms of paying month-on-month.

2/ we used Dory Bonner (a certain Andrew dealt with it all and was very knowledgeable and on the ball - as well as chatty!)

3/ I don't know. I'm making the most of being able to live comfortably on one salary to take a bit of a career break. Saying that, there are lots of dental practices here (and new ones opening up in new residential areas) so you'd probably stand a good chance. Personally, I'd apply directly to the practices.

4/ We used to use Diamond Lease through Mr Kitty's old company, although I'm not sure if they are the cheapest around. You may want to consider buying a second hand 4x4 instead of renting one, as it would be the cheaper option. We were paying around 2.8k AED per month for a cruddy Mitsubishi Gallant, which is the same size as a Vectra. Have a look on Dubizzle.com for second hand cars...

Hope this helps! Welcome to the Sandpit!
Miss Kitty, no sarcasm, no abuse, no "why don't you use the search, you stoopid mare". You'll be giving this forum a bad name!.

Noobie; welcome and enjoy the ride. It ain't all bad.,

Last edited by Roadking; Sep 4th 2010 at 7:11 pm. Reason: not enough E
Old Sep 5th 2010, 5:34 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
Miss Kitty, no sarcasm, no abuse, no "why don't you use the search, you stoopid mare". You'll be giving this forum a bad name!.

Noobie; welcome and enjoy the ride. It ain't all bad.,
I was feeling magnanimous!

... actually, I'm in a pretty good mood... got our tenancy contract renewed for a good rate.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:08 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

How much?

Or at least what % reduction did you get?

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty View Post
I was feeling magnanimous!

... actually, I'm in a pretty good mood... got our tenancy contract renewed for a good rate.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 6:34 am
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kgc View Post
Just found out we are moving to Dubai in about a month and are really stressing re the following:
1. whether to ship our furniture or not (is unfurnished accomodoation quite common there? we will be looking for a 1 bedroom flat)
2. if shipping our furniture - which company to use (my research online was very confusing
3. my husbands' job is secured - mine not - what are the chances to find a good job for someone with 5years of dental practice management experience, is it best to register with agencies or look online?
4. Knowing Dubai roads - we would like to get a 4x4 - where is the best place to rent a car?

Thanks in advance
1) Mostly unfurnished, although at the 1 bed end of the market you are more likely to find furnished if that's what you want. It costs more though.

2) We shipped - cost 1700quid for a 20ft container (enough for a 4 bed house) from London to Abu Dhabi including loading the container in London and unpacking in Abu Dhabi (we did the packing though). Insurance was about 400quid arranged through a separate broker. We used a company called 'City Moving' and the guy was called Alan

3) No idea.

4) I recently (well a year ago now) bought a second hand 3 year old Pajero. I hate it, but most people love them - you can always offload them and they don't depreciate much... e.g.

A Toyota Yaris leases for c.1700 Dh / month which is 20,000 Dh / year. We bought our Pajero for 45,000 - and could sell it (quite easily I would say) today for 35,000 (I see them advertised for 45,000). It will last several more years before it dies and is a much much better car than a Yaris.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:42 am
ex-expat

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
How much?

Or at least what % reduction did you get?
22%!

The chancers that are agents have rather optimistically upped their advertised rents again though to stupid levels. Got in there just at the right time.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:10 am
kgc
Just Joined

Thank you for all the info!!!!!!

still stressed though...
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:15 pm
ex-expat

Thank you for all the info!!!!!!

still stressed though...
stress is normal, but a word to the wise would be to not get too het up about planning everything in minute detail.

With the best will in the world, time-scales here are flexible to say the least and there is a lot that you can only really do once you're here.

Even if you were to ship your stuff tomorrow, it'd take 5-7 weeks to arrive, so you're looking at at least a month in a serviced apartment (cheaper than hotel). Landlords often want people to move in about 2-3 weeks after agreeing to rent the place, so you can happily spend 7-10 days finding a place to live. Unless you have exceptionally stringent criteria, you'll be able to find something decent in that time... and if you're really lucky, there'll only be a few days cross-over between taking on the lease and your shipment arriving!

That is, if you decide to ship it... if you go for a fully-furnished place, you could be out of the serviced apartment quicker.

Same with the car really...

Deep breaths, lots of patience (especially with DEWA (utilities) and Du (telecoms)... and agents, Landlords, home delivery....) and a key phrase: Inshallah!

Best of luck!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:19 pm
kgc
Just Joined

Thanks very much! I will try to keep calm and look forward to the sunshine instead
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:42 pm
ex-expat

Thanks very much! I will try to keep calm and look forward to the sunshine instead
hehe - at least you're not coming over during Ramadan, like we did! Duh!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

libby2010 will become famous soon enoughlibby2010 will become famous soon enough

Thanks in advance
am totally in the same boat and trying to organise relocation at short notice.
thanks to emirates millhouse I have Julie, who owns a relocation business and is absolutely FANTASTIC.
endlessly patient , extremely knowledgable, she has lived in dubai for 11 years.
I am still undecided as to shipping stuff or buying second hand,renting furnished seems a bit unpersonal in the long run. i cannot believe the rates millhouse has quoted. if i can get those i will ship.we have been quoted 5000.- pounds just to move a 2bed apartment from switzerland to uk (by a uk firm).red this message just in time to reconsider.I hope he didnt just miss a zero.
wish you the very best of luck !!!!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

lehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the roughlehoff is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by libby2010 View Post
am totally in the same boat and trying to organise relocation at short notice.
thanks to emirates millhouse I have Julie, who owns a relocation business and is absolutely FANTASTIC.
endlessly patient , extremely knowledgable, she has lived in dubai for 11 years.
I am still undecided as to shipping stuff or buying second hand,renting furnished seems a bit unpersonal in the long run. i cannot believe the rates millhouse has quoted. if i can get those i will ship.we have been quoted 5000.- pounds just to move a 2bed apartment from switzerland to uk (by a uk firm).red this message just in time to reconsider.I hope he didnt just miss a zero.
wish you the very best of luck !!!!
Yes Millhouse's rate was excellent I have to admit... I have just shipped (well it was meant to dock yesterday) a 20ft container from the midlands to Dubai and it was nearly £3.5k!! although they did do all the packing/unpacking and organising which may be why... the killer though is that doesnt include insurance which was an extra £1300... cant believe they quote without it, its like saying we'll get your goods there but we cant say they will be in one piece! We used Crown who have an office in Dubai (Ras al Khor) which made me feel a bit more comfortable about being able to go down there in person and sort it out if necessary, i know some firms dont have a base here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.