British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   The RED slip.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/red-slip-551330/)

jrudofsky Jul 26th 2008 12:43 pm

The RED slip....

So I had an unfortunate fender bender today (bound to happen at some point I guess), minor damage, but the police decided it was my fault....once they make their decision I presumed there was not much to gain by arguing and suggesting they were wrong!

Do you also get a fine, as it's in arabic I can't read it. Do I just call the insurance company and they will explain the rest??

Thanks for any info

Blue Cat Jul 26th 2008 12:46 pm

Re: The RED slip....

yes take it to the insurance company with a copy of your policy, visa and driving license. I am busy sorting my car out at the moment which had a minor altercation with some white and small some months back. I have the green slip but it is still driving me round the bend :(

jrudofsky Jul 26th 2008 12:50 pm

Oh great it can take that long??!?! I presume a red slip, meaning they believe you are at fault, just means that my insurance company will pick up all of the bill? And that my premium will be affected for next year.....or is there anything more sinister?

Jeeper Jul 26th 2008 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by jrudofsky (Post 6612923)
Oh great it can take that long??!?! I presume a red slip, meaning they believe you are at fault, just means that my insurance company will pick up all of the bill? And that my premium will be affected for next year.....or is there anything more sinister?

99% chance you'll have a fine.

Blue Cat Jul 26th 2008 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by jrudofsky (Post 6612923)

mine car went into Mitsubish last Sunday, it still has not had insurance co approval. I have called the insurers many times and on one occasion it resulted in me swearing and demanding for someone who could tell the difference between H and 8 - my car reg is H8***** the daft cow on the phone kept saying 88***** - no we have no car - FFS!! drove me crazy!!!

jrudofsky Jul 26th 2008 1:00 pm

Oh and mine is a Mitsubishi too!!

Serious fine or couple of hundred AEDs? Can't believe they made me at fault!!! Arrggghhhh

W10 Jul 26th 2008 1:15 pm

Was it your fault?

jrudofsky Jul 26th 2008 1:22 pm

The red slip says so.......the other guy got the green one.

Pulling out, turning left through stationary traffic more than half the car on through the turn and some chap in his pick up decided not to stop and let me finish pulling out, he slammed on at the last minute and slewed it to the right so he just caught the wheel arch of my car. Police said as I hadn't completed the turn it was my fault.

To be fair, they hadn't seen it and I was crossing into the other lane....but this guy must have been blind or my likely expecting me to miraculously be out of his way.

Oh well....trying not to get worked up about it. Upset the missus though.

MacScot Jul 26th 2008 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6612940)
mine car went into Mitsubish last Sunday, it still has not had insurance co approval. I have called the insurers many times and on one occasion it resulted in me swearing and demanding for someone who could tell the difference between H and 8 - my car reg is H8***** the daft cow on the phone kept saying 88***** - no we have no car - FFS!! drove me crazy!!!

:rofl::rofl:

That was funny...I had the same problem with the "H" part my car reg...so I used radio alphabet to 'help' and said H for Hotel. I was asked which hotel ??

Blue Cat Jul 26th 2008 1:25 pm

sounds to me that he was in the wrong not you :( you will have to take the car up to the bodyshop place at Dubai Investment Park for them to do a quotation and then get the insurance approval :)

jrudofsky Jul 26th 2008 1:30 pm

It was my first experience of this and in the end I decided it really wasn't worth a massive argument with the police (given general expat publicity at the moment and the handcuffs in the drinks holder). The insurance company have just said their assessor will be there tomorrow at 8am so will aim to get there for then. Want me to point them in the direction of your car?!

Where is DIP, actually, don't worry i'll find it.

Just a bit annoying more than anything, never been in a car crash before.

MacScot Jul 26th 2008 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6613025)
sounds to me that he was in the wrong not you :( you will have to take the car up to the bodyshop place at Dubai Investment Park for them to do a quotation and then get the insurance approval :)

Nope...same in the UK.. when entering a traffic lane (even via gap between stationary cars in an adjacent lane) one must give way to oncoming traffic in that lane...even if the drivers are dopes and do not stop in time. Otherwise, wait for a larger gap in the oncoming traffic who have right-of-way

jrudofsky Jul 26th 2008 1:39 pm

Thanks for pointing that out! It was more the fact that the guy hadn't stopped that pissed me off! I mean where was he trying to go given that my car was effectively blocking his lane!!

Anyway, just after advice on how to sort it out and any potential issues from a red slip rather than a green slip.

Blue Cat Jul 26th 2008 1:50 pm

are you with Royal Sun Alliance? the Insurance guy won't be there at 8 trust, just ring them and do it over the phone. We left the car on Sunday and were told that the Insurance people would be there by lunchtime - no one showed until Tuesday!!!!

DIP is behind the Green Community, go up Emirates Road to the Green Community roundabout, straight over at the roundabout down the next roundabout and then take a right left turn. DIP is on the left hand side, I am sure there is a u turn or something up that way but I would say you are wasting your time going up there :(

MacScot Jul 26th 2008 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by jrudofsky (Post 6613067)
Thanks for pointing that out! It was more the fact that the guy hadn't stopped that pissed me off! I mean where was he trying to go given that my car was effectively blocking his lane!!

Anyway, just after advice on how to sort it out and any potential issues from a red slip rather than a green slip.

As far as I know they don't do bump-for-bump car insurance deals in Dubai except when two cars exit car parking spaces and hit each other...both get police green slips and their respective insurance companies pay up for each client.

In general, police attending an accident (however minor) hand out what could be called the "who is at fault certificates " basically GREEN is Good and RED is Bad. If you get the Green slip, you are deemed not to be at fault and the other person's insurance company will pay for both cars. If you get the Red slip it is your insurance company that will pay for both cars and you will get a premium increase due to it.

I've not been in a driving accident yet...so I may be wrong.