Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Recourse against extortion by landlord?

Wikiposts

Recourse against extortion by landlord?

Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recourse against extortion by landlord?

oh yes... as I was posting my earlier post, "Ads by Google" thoughtfully provided me with:

"Landlord Eviction
Various Eviction Notice Templates Download Now & Get the Job Done!
BizTree.com"

Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:41 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Actually, if a UK shop prices something incorrectly they're quite within their rights not to sell it. They can however be prosecuted if it can be shown they were using the mistake to try to mislead customers.
Having worked for the second largest supermarket chain in the UK for four years I can confirm that of something has the wrong price on it and a customer takes it to the check out 9 times out of 10 the customer pays whatever is on the label...and the store will not argue with a firm but polite customer. It's not worth it and the law is on the customer's side.

We also have laws to stop landlords doing what they do in the UAE everyday...well we have laws for now...Sharia law is already operating in the UK. ...

N.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 7:46 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lyds
Light at the end of the tunnel for us, but surely this kind of practice can't be good for Dubai.
The UAE is a third world country with lots of money...and it will stay that way until things like precedent become part of the legal code.

Good luck with the new place.

N.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:23 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Having worked for the second largest supermarket chain in the UK for four years I can confirm that of something has the wrong price on it and a customer takes it to the check out 9 times out of 10 the customer pays whatever is on the label...and the store will not argue with a firm but polite customer. It's not worth it and the law is on the customer's side.
Shop policy and law are not the same thing

Originally Posted by Trading Standards
"I want to purchase a three piece suite that is on display in a shop. The shop refused to sell it to me. Does a shop have the right to refuse to sell goods?"
Yes! Goods on display in a shop are there for you to make an offer to buy, the shop is not obliged to accept your offer. The same applies where goods have been labelled with the wrong price; the shop does not have to sell at that price.
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0050-1011.txt

Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:46 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Shop policy and law are not the same thing

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...V0050-1011.txt

Typical. you are correct. The shop does not have to 'honour the error'.
The sceanrio in a shop or supermarket as described above is 'an invitatioin to treat' .The buyer actually makes the offer to purchase -which the store can decline.Of course in many cases where the discrepancy is manageable (and oft covered in the 'mark up') chainstores and other outlets will 'honour the error in bona fides.