Reload this Page >

Recommended obstetrician / Riyadh

Recommended obstetrician / Riyadh

Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

thecentennial is on a distinguished road
Default Recommended obstetrician / Riyadh

Hi,

There is the possibility of a role in Riyadh. My wife is pregnant (very early 1st trimester). Cutting it short, can anyone recommend a good obstetrician in Riyadh,or let me know the typical procedure for a privately managed pregnancy i.e. is it generally the same as e.g. UK (pick a good Dr, see them for the 9 months, book into a private hospital, have baby).

I have asked for more information from the potential employer re medical insuramce, to ensure it covers obstetricians/c'section etc - is there anything else I need to be aware of / request whilst in the package negotiation stages?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:14 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Recommended obstetrician / Riyadh

Originally Posted by thecentennial
Hi,

There is the possibility of a role in Riyadh. My wife is pregnant (very early 1st trimester). Cutting it short, can anyone recommend a good obstetrician in Riyadh,or let me know the typical procedure for a privately managed pregnancy i.e. is it generally the same as e.g. UK (pick a good Dr, see them for the 9 months, book into a private hospital, have baby).

I have asked for more information from the potential employer re medical insuramce, to ensure it covers obstetricians/c'section etc - is there anything else I need to be aware of / request whilst in the package negotiation stages?

Thanks for the advice.
have got a couple of colleagues that have had children here in the magic kingdom, but on the whole, most of the people that i know have actually headed back 'home' (where ever that maybe) for the last trimester. for the initial trimester, hospitals like Kingdom, the Saudi-German hospital, etc. have (i've been told) good OB/GYN's and great setups, but when it comes to the pointer end of things, people have preferred to go 'home' for family support and those 'just-in-case' things. (didn't want to be dealing with any language confusions, etc.)

maybe you should try and ask for more travel allowance in anticipation of this?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by still.unsure
have got a couple of colleagues that have had children here in the magic kingdom, but on the whole, most of the people that i know have actually headed back 'home' (where ever that maybe) for the last trimester. for the initial trimester, hospitals like Kingdom, the Saudi-German hospital, etc. have (i've been told) good OB/GYN's and great setups, but when it comes to the pointer end of things, people have preferred to go 'home' for family support and those 'just-in-case' things. (didn't want to be dealing with any language confusions, etc.)

maybe you should try and ask for more travel allowance in anticipation of this?
Yes we need to think about our options, though we have to remember going "home" would mean being separate for 5 months i.e. cant fly if past XX weeks pregnant, and cant fly pre-3 month old baby (or thats the guidance) - not sure I'd like that separation! We may drag out the mother in law, but at this point in time we're planning to have the baby in Saudi. Will keep "listening" to this thread for recommended docs.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:34 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Yes we need to think about our options, though we have to remember going "home" would mean being separate for 5 months i.e. cant fly if past XX weeks pregnant, and cant fly pre-3 month old baby (or thats the guidance) - not sure I'd like that separation! We may drag out the mother in law, but at this point in time we're planning to have the baby in Saudi. Will keep "listening" to this thread for recommended docs.
fair point, but you may want to check about the travel guidance bit. know of a couple that did it when she was in her 36th(?) week and flew with the child after about 2 months or so. mind you, husband headed off "home" as soon as the little one was born (flight on the same day!) it also might be easier than trying to get the mother-in-law in-country too though am only guessing at this point
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Maybe things have changed? My daughter came to Doha from London in 1981 at 6 weeks!
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

I had my two overseas but lots of friends went home, most flew back after 10 days. Maybe things have changed . . . .

N
Old Jan 19th 2009, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I guess all airlines vary, but I read recently that two weeks old is the cut off date for babes flying.....our son flew at 6 weeks and that was 6 years ago!

Has your wife expressed specific views about how she wants to manage the pregnancy/labour? Not all women want to be 'guided' in the direction of full technology/hospital/intervention.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fionamw
I guess all airlines vary, but I read recently that two weeks old is the cut off date for babes flying.....our son flew at 6 weeks and that was 6 years ago!

Has your wife expressed specific views about how she wants to manage the pregnancy/labour? Not all women want to be 'guided' in the direction of full technology/hospital/intervention.
Will check all airlines into KSA for their restrictions.

Re wife's views - she's unsure at the moment, all she wants is a safe birth and healthy baby - no real preference for natural/c'section - whatever is best on the day. I guess her real concerns are the quality of care over there, expertise of the Dr's (can vary anywhere I guess - hence the request for a recommended obstetrician), and the family support. I'm querying potential employer re job description on iqama, to ensure it is one of those professions which allow visitors (is there a list??).

For my temp visit in a couple of weeks, I will be listed as an operations consultant (?) - don't know who determined this. I guess if she went home at as close to 8 months as possible, and flew back after e.g. 1 month (and I fly home for a week or 10 days in the middle) - it may work - just need to make sure I have everything sorted, from what I have read, leaving Saudi is not an easy process if you dont have the right visa etc.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Having babies is a national occupation over here so they are well experienced in that line and have good SCBU facilities too. Had mine in other ME countries, but will ask at work who is good and get back to you.

N
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Sulaiman Habib have just opened a brand new maternity hospital - looks lovely, will try and find out standard of care for you.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nic1
Sulaiman Habib have just opened a brand new maternity hospital - looks lovely, will try and find out standard of care for you.
Hi Nic1, thank you so much for your help - let me know what you find out.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 3:49 am

Will check all airlines into KSA for their restrictions.

Re wife's views - she's unsure at the moment, all she wants is a safe birth and healthy baby - no real preference for natural/c'section - whatever is best on the day. I guess her real concerns are the quality of care over there, expertise of the Dr's (can vary anywhere I guess - hence the request for a recommended obstetrician), and the family support. I'm querying potential employer re job description on iqama, to ensure it is one of those professions which allow visitors (is there a list??).

For my temp visit in a couple of weeks, I will be listed as an operations consultant (?) - don't know who determined this. I guess if she went home at as close to 8 months as possible, and flew back after e.g. 1 month (and I fly home for a week or 10 days in the middle) - it may work - just need to make sure I have everything sorted, from what I have read, leaving Saudi is not an easy process if you dont have the right visa etc.
get your entry/exit visa sorted (committed too) by your company in writing before touching down in the magic kingdom (can not stress enough). the last thing you want is in a touch situation to be kissing up to your boss/HR for them to do their paperwork, or (worse yet) need to fly during a government holiday (i'm guessing ramadan '09 is probably around when you're wife may be looking to travel?)

but, you're already on the right track by asking these questions before you get here, so you'll be just fine!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by still.unsure
get your entry/exit visa sorted (committed too) by your company in writing before touching down in the magic kingdom (can not stress enough). the last thing you want is in a touch situation to be kissing up to your boss/HR for them to do their paperwork, or (worse yet) need to fly during a government holiday (i'm guessing ramadan '09 is probably around when you're wife may be looking to travel?)

but, you're already on the right track by asking these questions before you get here, so you'll be just fine!
Re entry / exit visa, have been told this can only be sorted once iqama granted - is this correct? (and I have to be on the ground for iqama to be granted). Have been assured multple entry / exit visa will be provided...understand this means little, though I trust this person.

You are right, baby is due mid/end September, just after end of ramadam 09. What impacts are likely? Heavy traffic? Hospitals closed? Unsure..
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:22 am

Re entry / exit visa, have been told this can only be sorted once iqama granted - is this correct? (and I have to be on the ground for iqama to be granted). Have been assured multple entry / exit visa will be provided...understand this means little, though I trust this person.

You are right, baby is due mid/end September, just after end of ramadam 09. What impacts are likely? Heavy traffic? Hospitals closed? Unsure..
yes, exit/entry is not sorted until you've got your iqama, but the companies decision to get a multi or not is something you can at least get in writing before you touch down. also, ask about any passport retention policies etc. (and as for assured, just get them to reply to an email or something! - disclaimer; was also 'assured' or one before i arrived and now have been denied one. will have to get a single shot one everytime, and only if i beg my fing manager and hopefully get him on a good day :curse: )

as for riyadh in/around ramadan, i'll defer to those with more experience!