Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for expat health insurance provided, Dubai?

Recommendation for expat health insurance provided, Dubai?

Old May 18th 2010, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Recommendation for expat health insurance provided, Dubai?

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend an expat health/dental insurance provider in Dubai? Which providers have agreements in place with the main/most hospitals and dentists?

All the best,

MI.
Old May 18th 2010, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendation for expat health insurance provided, Dubai?

if your employer provides this then you wont have a choice normally.
Old May 18th 2010, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by busybee2
if your employer provides this then you wont have a choice normally.
Thanks for the quick reply, my employer is paying for it but does not have a preferred supplier, so I need recommendations!
Old May 18th 2010, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

BUPA - RSA/goodhealth - axa (i think) - google them

BUPA were best for us.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miuser2
Thanks for the quick reply, my employer is paying for it but does not have a preferred supplier, so I need recommendations!
Please PM me and I can make an appropriate recommendation depending on what you want and budget.

Bear in mind that for personal plans, you will not get direct billing for outpatients treatment. BUPA offer comprehensive plans, but are expensive for personal cover and the equivalent can be obtained from other companies at lower cost. Goodhealth are OK (best for very basic plans) and AXA has very poor admin. There are many many companies in the market, each with several different plans, so best to use an expert, especially as it costs you no more.
-
Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Raf77 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been told that I will not be able to find a health insurance policy that will allow consultation/treatment at the American Hospital.. is this accurate?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:37 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, it makes sense. My Bupa plan doesn't cover non-emergency medical treatment in the US - the only country in the world it doesn't provide cover in.

When I was with Goodhealth the same policy applied, then just as I switched jobs (and health providers) Goodhealth/RSA merged with an US medical provider and from that point onwards was going to allow some type of US coverage. Could be wrong, though.

Originally Posted by Raf77
I've been told that I will not be able to find a health insurance policy that will allow consultation/treatment at the American Hospital.. is this accurate?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:49 am
Just Joined

Raf77 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry... maybe my previous post wasn't clear, I meant the policies don't include/allow treatments/consultations at the American Hospital in Dubai.

The reason why I ask is that the American Hospital Dubai is supposed to offer the best quality healthcare (?) and also the most costly, which is why most insurance policies don't extend to the American Hospital.
This is what my employer told me when I asked to come out of the company policy ( inadequate ) and obtain insurance from a provider of my choice.

Last edited by Raf77; Sep 1st 2010 at 5:52 am.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

crw1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest that you have a look at the policies with Interglobal which is provided through Al Ain Ahlia Insurance Co. My wife and I have found them to be good. There UltraCare Plus scheme has provided excellent coverage.

Regards

Chris
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Axa has a good comprehensive health care insurance.....been with them for two years now.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

sorry... maybe my previous post wasn't clear, I meant the policies don't include/allow treatments/consultations at the American Hospital in Dubai.

The reason why I ask is that the American Hospital Dubai is supposed to offer the best quality healthcare (?) and also the most costly, which is why most insurance policies don't extend to the American Hospital.
This is what my employer told me when I asked to come out of the company policy ( inadequate ) and obtain insurance from a provider of my choice.

i have had a few different medical insurance here over the years and quite often they do not cover anything at the american hosp in dxb.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 1:37 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

No, not accurate.

Many company schemes, and some personal ones, have a limited list, but they do not all exclude the American Hospital. Some providers do not have a list at all and so you would have a free choice for most treatments.
-
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

AppleMac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busybee2
i have had a few different medical insurance here over the years and quite often they do not cover anything at the american hosp in dxb.
If you look at the American Hospital website they have accreditation with most of the major insurance providers.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AppleMac
If you look at the American Hospital website they have accreditation with most of the major insurance providers.
but not with any of the ones that i have had to use, always been excluded. not that that matters as in ad. we had alico and nas so fairly big ones here, and they were excluded, not with them now perhaps its changed.