Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Recent move from UK to UAE

Recent move from UK to UAE

Old Mar 14th 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

IndigoGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recent move from UK to UAE

Can anyone (who has recently moved from the UK to the UAE) let me know which removal company they used and any advice? I have had a quote from Pickfords but they give a very vague quote and it seems that they only quote delivery within a certain, limited, radius of the port of entry. Reviews of this company are also not that great. I really would appreciate any info.

Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:18 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recent move from UK to UAE

Crown (Crown Removals?) do an excellent service from UAE to UK (several colleagues have used them), so I guess it would be similar in 'tother direction. I can't remember the price, but I have in mind around AED3k for a 20' container. Do a search, the question came up about a year ago I think, and if I recall correctly Crown's price was considered high.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Crown (Crown Removals?) do an excellent service from UAE to UK (several colleagues have used them), so I guess it would be similar in 'tother direction. I can't remember the price, but I have in mind around AED3k for a 20' container. Do a search, the question came up about a year ago I think, and if I recall correctly Crown's price was considered high.
Thanks for that - will search. Much appreciated
Old Mar 15th 2013, 1:25 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl
Can anyone (who has recently moved from the UK to the UAE) let me know which removal company they used and any advice? I have had a quote from Pickfords but they give a very vague quote and it seems that they only quote delivery within a certain, limited, radius of the port of entry. Reviews of this company are also not that great. I really would appreciate any info.

We used Sterling...but that was over nine years ago. They very good then.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Peteinlondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - we are in the process of moving now and our container is due in next week. We got 3 quotes: Pickfords, Cadogan Tate and Doree Bonner. We ended up going with Cadogan Tate - they were around £3K for a 20ft container (all 3 quotes were within a couple of hundred pounds although Pickfords was the most expensive) but we ended up getting a 40 ft container as we had quite a lot of stuff - that was around £5K.

So far, so good - they were professional in the packing up our belongings and have been good at keeping us in the loop.

I would avoid getting insurance through any of them though - they are all far too expensive and a quick search online will find cheaper options.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peteinlondon
Hi - we are in the process of moving now and our container is due in next week. We got 3 quotes: Pickfords, Cadogan Tate and Doree Bonner. We ended up going with Cadogan Tate - they were around £3K for a 20ft container (all 3 quotes were within a couple of hundred pounds although Pickfords was the most expensive) but we ended up getting a 40 ft container as we had quite a lot of stuff - that was around £5K.

So far, so good - they were professional in the packing up our belongings and have been good at keeping us in the loop.

I would avoid getting insurance through any of them though - they are all far too expensive and a quick search online will find cheaper options.
Thanks for all the info. Hope your move goes ok.

Btw - who did you use for insurance?
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Peteinlondon is an unknown quantity at this point

We used a company called Clegg Gifford and saved quite a lot of money for essentially the same insurance. Hoping we don't need to make a claim!
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Crown were pretty useless 18 months ago getting our stuff in from Singapore. SG side was excellent, the local ones not so good. Who'd have thought that would be the case...

In fairness the actual crew were fine when everything finally showed up.

The insurance they offered was fine so long as you bothered to itemise it and not go with the volume quote.