British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Recent move from UK to UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/recent-move-uk-uae-790530/)

IndigoGirl Mar 14th 2013 4:23 pm

Recent move from UK to UAE

Can anyone (who has recently moved from the UK to the UAE) let me know which removal company they used and any advice? I have had a quote from Pickfords but they give a very vague quote and it seems that they only quote delivery within a certain, limited, radius of the port of entry. Reviews of this company are also not that great. I really would appreciate any info.

:confused:

Bahtatboy Mar 15th 2013 9:18 am

Re: Recent move from UK to UAE

Crown (Crown Removals?) do an excellent service from UAE to UK (several colleagues have used them), so I guess it would be similar in 'tother direction. I can't remember the price, but I have in mind around AED3k for a 20' container. Do a search, the question came up about a year ago I think, and if I recall correctly Crown's price was considered high.

IndigoGirl Mar 15th 2013 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10605052)
Crown (Crown Removals?) do an excellent service from UAE to UK (several colleagues have used them), so I guess it would be similar in 'tother direction. I can't remember the price, but I have in mind around AED3k for a 20' container. Do a search, the question came up about a year ago I think, and if I recall correctly Crown's price was considered high.

Thanks for that - will search. Much appreciated

NorthernLad Mar 15th 2013 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by IndigoGirl (Post 10603753)
Can anyone (who has recently moved from the UK to the UAE) let me know which removal company they used and any advice? I have had a quote from Pickfords but they give a very vague quote and it seems that they only quote delivery within a certain, limited, radius of the port of entry. Reviews of this company are also not that great. I really would appreciate any info.

:confused:

We used Sterling...but that was over nine years ago. They very good then.

Peteinlondon Mar 16th 2013 4:47 am

Hi - we are in the process of moving now and our container is due in next week. We got 3 quotes: Pickfords, Cadogan Tate and Doree Bonner. We ended up going with Cadogan Tate - they were around £3K for a 20ft container (all 3 quotes were within a couple of hundred pounds although Pickfords was the most expensive) but we ended up getting a 40 ft container as we had quite a lot of stuff - that was around £5K.

So far, so good - they were professional in the packing up our belongings and have been good at keeping us in the loop.

I would avoid getting insurance through any of them though - they are all far too expensive and a quick search online will find cheaper options.

IndigoGirl Mar 18th 2013 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Peteinlondon (Post 10606740)
Hi - we are in the process of moving now and our container is due in next week. We got 3 quotes: Pickfords, Cadogan Tate and Doree Bonner. We ended up going with Cadogan Tate - they were around £3K for a 20ft container (all 3 quotes were within a couple of hundred pounds although Pickfords was the most expensive) but we ended up getting a 40 ft container as we had quite a lot of stuff - that was around £5K.

So far, so good - they were professional in the packing up our belongings and have been good at keeping us in the loop.

I would avoid getting insurance through any of them though - they are all far too expensive and a quick search online will find cheaper options.

Thanks for all the info. Hope your move goes ok.

Btw - who did you use for insurance?

Peteinlondon Mar 19th 2013 3:17 am

We used a company called Clegg Gifford and saved quite a lot of money for essentially the same insurance. Hoping we don't need to make a claim!

Cypselos Mar 20th 2013 5:48 am

Crown were pretty useless 18 months ago getting our stuff in from Singapore. SG side was excellent, the local ones not so good. Who'd have thought that would be the case...

In fairness the actual crew were fine when everything finally showed up.

The insurance they offered was fine so long as you bothered to itemise it and not go with the volume quote.