Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Received my offer today. Is this a decent package (Dubai)?

Received my offer today. Is this a decent package (Dubai)?

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:04 am
Just Joined

bruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nice
Default Received my offer today. Is this a decent package (Dubai)?

AED 25,000 with 2 bdrm apartment, car, annual air-fare home and school fees for the kids.

I'm a lawyer with a wife and two kids. This is roughly how much I make here before taxes, so the opportunity to make this much tax-free (along with the perks) is very appealing.

My wife doesn't plan on working for at least 1 year and I do intend to do some travel in the region (Oman, Egypt, Tunisia, India, etc.)

Will I be able to survive (and perhaps even be able to save a little coin?) with this package? I thought this was ample before reading some of the posts on this board.

Thanks for any comments.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:16 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Received my offer today. Is this a decent package (Dubai)?

You'll be fine mate, just ensure that the overall package includes health insurance/medical cover, that could come to a pretty hefty sum.

Basically, you've got AED25k/month to play with, as you're getting 1 car free.

All you'll need to cough up is for another car for your missus + insurance (say 3k/month, DEWA (Utilities) bills over-estimate that at 1k/month (if it's not paid directly by your company) and the rest is yours.

Food/beer/eating out will probably run to 6k/month btw.

So I would suggest you should be able to comfortably save 10k/month for your holidays.

Just 1 thought, as you've got 2 kids, will your company not putyou in a 3 bed apartment? Finally, check where the apartment is, avoid Deira like the plague, Bur Dubai is just about palatable, try to go for uptown mirdiff, if you're working on the airport side of the creek, or marina if you're on other side.

Good luck
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:28 am
Just Joined

bruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nicebruce_wayne2006 is just really nice

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Full health/medical is included.

I couldn't negotiate for a bigger apartment, but my aim is to eventually (hopefully) purchase a place of my own. I'm not sure where the place is located, but I'll find out. Thank you for that information.

BTW, the firm is only picking up the work visa costs for myself. If my wife intends to work in the future, how much visa processing/legal fees can I expect to shell out?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 3:46 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to sponsor your wife and kids for their residency, dunno how much it costs exactly, but if you reckon on AED1000 you should be OK.

If/when she gets a job usually she'll come under the employers sponsorship and they'll supply her with a labour card.

Just out of interest, to get a mortgage here you need a minimum of 6 months work (and bank statements) plus deposit and various fees etc.

Also check whether your employer will give you a housing allowance if you're NOT in their accomadation, check how much it is cos for a 3 bedroom apartment you're looking at around AED15k/month in marina, less in Mirdiff (but who wants to live on the flightpath in Mirdiff)

Last edited by MJC; Jan 23rd 2007 at 3:49 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 6:59 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
Food/beer/eating out will probably run to 6k/month btw.
Good luck

No way!!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:56 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
No way!!
Agreed!....more like 15k
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:00 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Agreed!....more like 15k

Depending on lifestyle... try less than 6k - How you doing?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 8:15 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Depending on lifestyle... try less than 6k - How you doing?
Im good thanks!
still waiting on residency!