British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Real Jumeirah and Umm Sequim bargains ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/real-jumeirah-umm-sequim-bargains-860447/)

Tockalosh Jun 20th 2015 5:02 am

Real Jumeirah and Umm Sequim bargains ?

Whilst trawling dubizzle for a new place to live it seems that Jumeirah and Umm sequim are loaded with what appears to be relative bargains in comparison with this time 2 years ago. i.e. comparing ranches to Jumeirah

Budget is ideally 200K and there are quite a few decent sized villas available. Quite a few are within the dubizzle estimates of 250 - 300k but on offer at 200 - 220 mark.The dubizzle estimates are generally below market rate so it appears strange to me

None appear to be near where disruption could be expected from the canal works so does anyone have any idea why prices appear to be so competitive down there ?

DXBtoDOH Jun 20th 2015 6:36 am

Re: Real Jumeirah and Umm Sequim bargains ?

What I really like about Jumeirah and Umm Suqeim is the huge variety of villas. They have a reputation for being posh areas but there's tons of smaller and more modest villas left over from the days....errr...10 years ago when almost all expat families of all income levels lived in this part of town as there was hardly anywhere else to live and Dubai was much smaller.

My guess is that the cheaper villas are probably either smaller and/or have aged, meaning they have 1990s kitchens and bathrooms, and in Dubai of the 1990s that meant replicating what was popular in the UK in the 1970s. Lots of newcomers these days seem to prefer a new villa with a more modern kitchen even if it means living way out in the desert.

Then again it could be that the rental market is really starting to dive!

I'd book appointments to visit the cheaper villas so you can see why they may be cheap. There's also many smaller 'compounds' of 6-8-10 modestly sized but still comfortable villas scattered about that rarely advertise, so it's also worthwhile to note the phone numbers of the management company outside one of the villas and see if any's available and what the rents are.

My good mate and his wife did the above, driving around Jumeirah 1-3 and US 1 and looking for the smaller compounds and noting the contact numbers. They found several excellent bargains and got a 3-bed+maid's villa in a fantastic location within walking distance of the beach. The villa is modest but it's comfortable enough, it's older but in good shape and the landlord is apparently quite responsive with any maintenance issues and it's in a truly brilliant location.

Tockalosh Jun 20th 2015 6:56 am

Thanks for that. Funnily enough we ruled out some of the older-looking properties because they were particularly dated. We are taking a drive around later this morning to get a proper feel for the place. Been here 2 years and generally crash at weekends as I travel constantly so its only been cursory glances when passing though Jumeira and Umm sequim.
We don't want or need a particularly large place as all our UK stuff fits just nicely into a Ranches ghetto sized house. We made the mistake of filling a large villa in Bahrain only to have to flog it all when we moved to Oz so wont make that mistake again. If we get a larger place then the kids can have more space to run riot instead of having a 12 seater sofa fill the place.
Also ruled out the places with tiny yards which was a majority of them as my 2 need running around space. Some didn't appear to have enough space for a bbq let alone kids run around area !!
After saying that, we are looking at a place in Barsha that is maningi big with huge garden that is nearly new and on budget at 200k.

Tockalosh Jun 20th 2015 9:45 am

so after a few hours driving around, it appears no one ever thought of having a garden in Jumeira bigger than 2.4 metres from the back of the house to the wall.

DXBtoDOH Jun 20th 2015 10:43 am

But you can walk to the beach!

Yeah, I don't think gardens in Jum and US are ever big except for the really big properties. I've seen some that did have larger gardens but the smaller ones are more common.

Regarding your earlier post, yeah, I think rents are definitely dropping noticeably. I just spent an hour trawling through Dubizzle for Marina and JLT apartments. More and more 'nicer' apartments are falling into my budget and more and more landlords are now offering multiple cheques.

Will be interesting to see what happens after the summer. I don't move till October.

Tockalosh Jun 20th 2015 2:00 pm

Ja definitely so. Popped in to see one of the leaches who rents properties later this arvo and it seems 230k advertised can be had for 200k before its even been viewed. Apparently rents in the ranches have been dropping since last June but punters still ask dream rentals. Might not be so bad after all. At that rate I will be off to Savanah

norsk Jun 21st 2015 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11680308)
Ja definitely so. Popped in to see one of the leaches who rents properties later this arvo and it seems 230k advertised can be had for 200k before its even been viewed. Apparently rents in the ranches have been dropping since last June but punters still ask dream rentals. Might not be so bad after all. At that rate I will be off to Savanah

A typical Ranches expat landlord?

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/63070697.jpg

Meow Jun 21st 2015 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11680169)
so after a few hours driving around, it appears no one ever thought of having a garden in Jumeira bigger than 2.4 metres from the back of the house to the wall.

Ours is a bit bigger than that but you're right in that most don't have large gardens. We have a small lawn both front and back, a side seating area and heaps of plants so that is plenty. Space for the cats the run around and also visiting children.

There are lots of older and very dated villas although we think our place is about 15 years old and isn't too bad. You still end up paying a bit for the location and it suits us as it's pretty convenient to get to most places.

If the riff raff moves in, my rent might drop... ;)

Tockalosh Jun 21st 2015 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11680762)
Ours is a bit bigger than that but you're right in that most don't have large gardens. We have a small lawn both front and back, a side seating area and heaps of plants so that is plenty. Space for the cats the run around and also visiting children.

There are lots of older and very dated villas although we think our place is about 15 years old and isn't too bad. You still end up paying a bit for the location and it suits us as it's pretty convenient to get to most places.

If the riff raff moves in, my rent might drop... ;)

Well with our loud and proud redneck pick up, 2 wild boys and a couple of ridgeback puppies, we would certainly trash the current rents however rest easy meow, the wife has found a couple of places back on the ranches with big gardens on budget so looks like we are staying up country

Meow Jun 22nd 2015 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 11680935)
Well with our loud and proud redneck pick up, 2 wild boys and a couple of ridgeback puppies, we would certainly trash the current rents however rest easy meow, the wife has found a couple of places back on the ranches with big gardens on budget so looks like we are staying up country

Phew! :cool:

Ridgebacks are lovely dogs. Proper dogs.

norsk Jul 2nd 2015 9:29 am

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

mikelincs Jul 2nd 2015 10:12 am

Originally Posted by stevefam (Post 11690015)
<snip>

post reported, seems like advertising which is against forum rules