Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Real extent of the Duabi debt fiasco

Real extent of the Duabi debt fiasco

Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of
Default Real extent of the Duabi debt fiasco

IMF serves up its own estimates on debts of Dubai

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....ate=columnists

Assorted highlights include :

"...IMF claims that Dubai Inc debt amounts to $109bn..."

"The IMF says authorities have assured it that the VAT will be in place in just two years"

"The IMF claims that Dubai is considering a capital-gains tax on property"

"This uncertainty is reflected in the cost of insuring debt. Dubai is still considered one of the world’s riskiest borrowers, riskier than even Greece or Iceland. And Abu Dhabi, thanks to its commitment to Dubai, is considered riskier than Qatar."

Crystalises some of the reasons why we were not getting paid. The AD government had to call in the IMF to determine the true extent of how deep the sh*t is in Dubai.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real extent of the Duabi debt fiasco

Originally Posted by spart
IMF serves up its own estimates on debts of Dubai

Crystalises some of the reasons why we were not getting paid. The AD government had to call in the IMF to determine the true extent of how deep the sh*t is in Dubai.
Well, not really.... the IMF have been beating on at the UAE for ages.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Well, not really.... the IMF have been beating on at the UAE for ages.
Wasnt aware of that. Its interesting to read something that resembles a considered viewpoint, with real numbers, and not the rubbish that comes out of Mo's mouthpiece (aka the Gulf News).
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Wasnt aware of that. Its interesting to read something that resembles a considered viewpoint, with real numbers, and not the rubbish that comes out of Mo's mouthpiece (aka the Gulf News).
To be fair, the IMF may not have been specifically monitoring the debt - but they have been lobbying for a VAT system for ages.

A VAT system forces high quality book keeping throughout the value chain... one reason why it will be ages before it makes it here (especially given the cash nature of the economy)

The IMF watch all economies - they monitored and lobbied the UK for a while regarding the housing boom... they were ignored, the rest is history.

I love the capital gains tax idea... I wonder if you will be allowed capital losses to offset gains!

Last edited by Millhouse; Mar 1st 2010 at 4:23 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
A VAT system forces high quality book keeping throughout the value chain... one reason why it will be ages before it makes it here (especially given the cash nature of the economy)
I did wonder how they hoped to implement that within two years. I couldn't imagine how they would possibly recover the GST/VAT from the little Asian store keepers.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did wonder how they hoped to implement that within two years. I couldn't imagine how they would possibly recover the GST/VAT from the little Asian store keepers.
exactly, especially when the guy has three levels of pricing depending on the colour of your skin!

and all those cash transactions... is prostitution a 'value added' service?
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:59 pm