British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   real estate job losses in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/real-estate-job-losses-dubai-577823/)

Foxes Dec 10th 2008 5:05 am

real estate job losses in Dubai

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php...at%20developer

The source said that some members of staff had refused to resign on principle and wanted to be given a proper reason for their dismissal.
“They gave us two options. They gave us a resignation letter and a termination letter. They said that if you choose the termination letter you would not get a recommendation. They did not want to say: ‘You are being made redundant

just read the article above - more devasting news for expats following nakheel and emaar job losses. if the article is correct - more worrying is the refual to issue NOC's -surely a govt dept could not have such a policy ?

Hello.Kitty Dec 10th 2008 5:33 am

Re: real estate job losses in Dubai

who knows... they're not used to dealing with making redundancies and in a warped way, doing so could admit they were wrong in some way... depends if they want to admit failure, I suppose.

Depressing stuff.

Slingshot Dec 10th 2008 4:43 pm

there was a good article in the National in the last week regarding what employees can expect if they are made redundant - plenty of companies I know have been trying not to honour things such as flights home and annual leave entitlement

Autonomy Dec 10th 2008 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Slingshot (Post 7056282)
there was a good article in the National in the last week regarding what employees can expect if they are made redundant - plenty of companies I know have been trying not to honour things such as flights home and annual leave entitlement

Hey - any chance of a link to this article? Thanks....

Dutchie Dec 10th 2008 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Foxes (Post 7054443)
http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php...at%20developer

just read the article above - more devasting news for expats following nakheel and emaar job losses. if the article is correct - more worrying is the refual to issue NOC's -surely a govt dept could not have such a policy ?

That's wierd! Just turned off the TV here in Holland and they where actually showing an interview with one of the employee's that lost her job. Good PR for the UAE if I quote her last comment "This country is a f**king joke! I wonder when Steven Spielberg is going to use it in a movie. If this happened anywhere else in the civilized world, and employer would go to jail for a stunt like this one..." end quote

Eva Dec 10th 2008 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7056342)

Not Slingshot's referenced article but a few which make interesting reading-well I think so anyways:

http://gulfnews.com/articles/08/11/30/10263734.html

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...515084840/1137

http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...934/0/YOURVIEW

hth

str Dec 10th 2008 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7056342)

I think it's this one:
Surviving the giant eraser

Autonomy Dec 10th 2008 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dutchie (Post 7056400)
That's wierd! Just turned off the TV here in Holland and they where actually showing an interview with one of the employee's that lost her job. Good PR for the UAE if I quote her last comment "This country is a f**king joke! I wonder when Steven Spielberg is going to use it in a movie. If this happened anywhere else in the civilized world, and employer would go to jail for a stunt like this one..." end quote

youtube it or it didn't happen....

Autonomy Dec 10th 2008 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by str (Post 7056509)
I think it's this one:
Surviving the giant eraser

thanks. interesting.... i.e. not much recourse really it seems....

particularly good headline....:blink:

p.s. several mates laid off in property and construction.... everyone still seems to want to see the movies so me ok so far....

Eva Dec 10th 2008 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 7056576)
thanks. interesting.... i.e. not much recourse really it seems....

particularly good headline....:blink:

p.s. several mates laid off in property and construction.... everyone still seems to want to see the movies so me ok so far....

Legals talkin up the theory....but reality as we know has a nasty habit of sinking the incisors.
Sit tight and keep yer head down
Then there's always AD-NY Film School. In theory;)

saleca Dec 11th 2008 4:12 pm

Rumours of huge layoffs now in consultancy design firms ie architects & engineers

Slingshot Dec 11th 2008 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by saleca (Post 7058783)
Rumours of huge layoffs now in consultancy design firms ie architects & engineers

unfortunately not just rumours

busybee2 Dec 11th 2008 6:00 pm

yep not rumours:(

Slingshot Dec 11th 2008 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7059041)
yep not rumours:(

hope you were not affected

bimcnorth Dec 11th 2008 6:55 pm

Apparently Abu Dhabi is next stop for many in Dubai...

Dec. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Abu Dhabi, armed with oil wealth and a $500 billion spending plan, is providing the escape route for British engineers as their bets on Dubai’s construction boom turn sour.

Abu Dhabi will be the main driver behind Carillion’s goal to double Middle Eastern sales by the end of 2009, according to CEO John McDonough. He has moved 150 senior directors from Europe to the Gulf region this year and has added 6,000 employees in Abu Dhabi, working on projects ranging from hotels to aluminum smelters. Britain’s second-biggest construction company is adding jobs this year, while many of its peers slash employee numbers.
For Carillion, based in Wolverhampton, England, revenue from Middle Eastern operations is set to soar to more than 600 million pounds by the end of 2009, nearly double the group’s 2007 figure, CEO McDonough said. Most sales will stem from Abu Dhabi’s infrastructure plans, and the company yesterday raised its earnings growth target to 15 percent.

“There is no question that Dubai has seen its outlook soften, with contracts delayed, some indefinitely,” Tim Jones, finance director at Interserve Plc, said in a Dec. 5 interview. “Abu Dhabi will be extremely exciting over the next few years.”
Interserve, which has built roads, towers and electricity stations in the Gulf region, gets nearly one-third of its annual sales from the Middle East through building contracts including roads, apartment blocks and electricity stations.

“We can initially attack Abu Dhabi from our Dubai base because they are so close, and the more work we get, the more likely it is that we will seek to set up an office there,” said Jones.

“Abu Dhabi has a master plan,” WS Atkins Chief Executive Officer Keith Clarke said in an interview. “You can even buy a copy and read it. They have developed a plan for which they have the cash.
Dubai accounts for half of Epsom, England-based Atkins’s 112 million pounds ($163 million) in Middle East sales, though Abu Dhabi is on course to match that level in a couple years, Clarke said. Dubai will see a slowdown from its “vastly impressive growth,” said Clarke, whose firm is the U.K.’s biggest engineering-design company