Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Be Ready for Internet restrictions - Skype and websites..

Be Ready for Internet restrictions - Skype and websites..

Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

NeedHelpNow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Be Ready for Internet restrictions - Skype and websites..

Hi,

I have been reading here and there is ONE aspect that should perhaps be addressed. It is the fact that internet censorship is happening. They also block applications like skype in many middle east countries. This will Unblock Skype in Qatar

Many of you are wanting to move there but dont know yet about this little yet significant restriction it has on many of us.

While i do strongly agree that some sites should be blocked due to content, some are blocked for all the wrong reasons. We are simoply not used to it coming from Europe and USA

Being in the privacy of your new home in the middle east you are bound to miss home family and friends. You will NOT be able to place a cheap skype call to loved ones as you had hoped and that will frustrate you, even more so the fact that international call rates will piss you off even more.

The site Vpn Accounts might get blocked but you can always reach them by email support [AT] vpnaccounts . com for more information on how to sign up and use the service. You dont need access to the site once you have an account anyway

As stated ealier, this is an issue that should have been addressed earlier and i hope it would benefit all who are planing a visit the middle east!
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be Ready for Internet restrictions - Skype and websites..

Originally Posted by NeedHelpNow
Hi,

I have been reading here and there is ONE aspect that should perhaps be addressed. It is the fact that internet censorship is happening. They also block applications like skype in many middle east countries. This will Unblock Skype in Qatar

Many of you are wanting to move there but dont know yet about this little yet significant restriction it has on many of us.

While i do strongly agree that some sites should be blocked due to content, some are blocked for all the wrong reasons. We are simoply not used to it coming from Europe and USA

Being in the privacy of your new home in the middle east you are bound to miss home family and friends. You will NOT be able to place a cheap skype call to loved ones as you had hoped and that will frustrate you, even more so the fact that international call rates will piss you off even more.

The site Vpn Accounts might get blocked but you can always reach them by email support [AT] vpnaccounts . com for more information on how to sign up and use the service. You dont need access to the site once you have an account anyway

As stated ealier, this is an issue that should have been addressed earlier and i hope it would benefit all who are planing a visit the middle east!
the issue has been addressed but it is probably better to keep such details to PM's. The authorities here do go snooping around sites like this.