Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Re-location to Dubai - Advice please!

Re-location to Dubai - Advice please!

Old Sep 15th 2003, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Velvet is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re-location to Dubai - Advice please!

It is looking likely that my hubby will be re-located to Dubai sometime in the next 2 months. We are both originally from Glasgow, Scotland but have been living in Hong Kong for the last few months.
When we moved to Hong Kong I found an excellent web site (asiaxpat)which listed all sorts of practical advice for expats trying to find their bearings, is there something similar for Dubai? I have no idea of what to expect life to be like in Dubai, we are both very social, early 30's, no kids and I know I would like to live near the bars etc is this an option? Also I don't have a driving licence - the books I have managed to get hold of (Lonely Planet etc) seem to think that driving is the only way to get about - is this true? Are taxis in plentiful supply or should I be getting some driving lessons before we move out there?

I have so many questions - too many to list them all here! - if anyone could offer any advice on living in Dubai / finding accomodation-furniture etc / meeting people / getting about / what language skills will I need etc etc etc I would be most grateful. Thanks.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:50 am
Just Joined

thewanderlust is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re-location to Dubai - Advice please!

Originally posted by Velvet
It is looking likely that my hubby will be re-located to Dubai sometime in the next 2 months. We are both originally from Glasgow, Scotland but have been living in Hong Kong for the last few months.
When we moved to Hong Kong I found an excellent web site (asiaxpat)which listed all sorts of practical advice for expats trying to find their bearings, is there something similar for Dubai? I have no idea of what to expect life to be like in Dubai, we are both very social, early 30's, no kids and I know I would like to live near the bars etc is this an option? Also I don't have a driving licence - the books I have managed to get hold of (Lonely Planet etc) seem to think that driving is the only way to get about - is this true? Are taxis in plentiful supply or should I be getting some driving lessons before we move out there?

I have so many questions - too many to list them all here! - if anyone could offer any advice on living in Dubai / finding accomodation-furniture etc / meeting people / getting about / what language skills will I need etc etc etc I would be most grateful. Thanks.
Dubai is a nice city, a lot less happening than Hong Kong though - and therefore a lot more relaxing. Jumeira is full of British expats, and I doubt you'll have any trouble fitting in.

Taxis are fine, pretty cheap and reliable. You could manage to live there and never own a car, but if you want freedom it's the only other alternative. Cars are cheap and you can rent them and drive on your international license.

There are lots of people moving in and out of Dubai, so you can usually pick up cheap near new furniture from those leaving. Check out the local papers for ads. There are a lot of Indian and Pakistani expats so some of the furniture may not be to your taste.

You will be fine speaking English - most of the people you deal with on a day to day basis will speak English.

I've written up a short travel report which you can find on my website here – hope you can get something from it!
Old Sep 18th 2003, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Stublue.KPL is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Just read your post with interest.
I am presently looking for work in dubai and at the moment i live in Glasgow. My girlfriend left today to work for emirates airlines and she has been told that there is great nightlife and plenty of decent bars when she gets over there. Hope that everything works out for you and your hubby and you never know, we may meet up over there sometime for a typical glaswegian "swally"
all the best
Stu
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Velvet is an unknown quantity at this point

Wanderlust and Stu thanks for your comments.
Stu we might indeed meet up for that drink!, hope you find work soon.
Wanderlust your website is pretty interesting, let me know if you need any info on Hong Kong at any time.
Old Sep 20th 2003, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

thewanderlust is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Velvet
Wanderlust and Stu thanks for your comments.
Stu we might indeed meet up for that drink!, hope you find work soon.
Wanderlust your website is pretty interesting, let me know if you need any info on Hong Kong at any time.
If you've got any general travel advice, or advice for people moving to HK, I'd love to put a page up on my website - as well as any photos you may have? Nothing too long, just a few brief paragraphs which you may have already written?? If you do you can email them to [email protected] Have fun in Dubai, let us know how you go. Cheers.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Lloyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re-location to Dubai - Advice please!

Hi my name is Lloyd

I have lived in Dubai for 9 years now and have loved any minute of it. If you have any questions just send me an e-mail and i will be more than happy to reply to you. my e-mail address is [email protected] if you visit this web site it will give you all the information you need on dubai www.the-explorer.com
lloyd.

Originally posted by thewanderlust
Dubai is a nice city, a lot less happening than Hong Kong though - and therefore a lot more relaxing. Jumeira is full of British expats, and I doubt you'll have any trouble fitting in.

Taxis are fine, pretty cheap and reliable. You could manage to live there and never own a car, but if you want freedom it's the only other alternative. Cars are cheap and you can rent them and drive on your international license.

There are lots of people moving in and out of Dubai, so you can usually pick up cheap near new furniture from those leaving. Check out the local papers for ads. There are a lot of Indian and Pakistani expats so some of the furniture may not be to your taste.

You will be fine speaking English - most of the people you deal with on a day to day basis will speak English.

I've written up a short travel report which you can find on my website here – hope you can get something from it!
Old Oct 18th 2003, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Sean Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stublue.KPL
Just read your post with interest.
I am presently looking for work in dubai and at the moment i live in Glasgow. My girlfriend left today to work for emirates airlines and she has been told that there is great nightlife and plenty of decent bars when she gets over there. Hope that everything works out for you and your hubby and you never know, we may meet up over there sometime for a typical glaswegian "swally"
all the best
Stu
Buddy,

It sounds like you and me are in the same boat at present and it may be an idea to get our heads together and exchange info.
Let me know what you think.

Cheers

Sean