Ramadan in Doha

Old Jun 10th 2015, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough
Default Ramadan in Doha

Hi everyone,

This will be my first Ramadan since moving to the ME (got here in August last year) and I was wondering how much things shut down for the month?

I know about the no eating & drinking in public thing, the bars all shutting, and government offices being on severely reduced hours, but what about the other shops? Do the malls, supermarkets etc. carry on as usual?

I'm *really* looking forward to the traffic dying off though. Reckon I can take a good ten minutes off my commute each way
Old Jun 10th 2015, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ramadan in Doha

life gets slow in Ramadan as working hours reduced. If you commute in the early morning then you will have the roads for you. Avoid traveling at night or around Iftar time (~6:30 pm) as people will be in rush to reach their destinations before that time. Many expats travel away to spend Ramadan with their families and this also contribute to making Doha less busy. Some others prefer to stay during Ramadan to enjoy short working hours. As for Supermarkets as far as I know they are open all nights in Ramadan, but I won't go shopping at night as it will be overcrowded.
I hope this helps.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Big_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the roughBig_Show is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, that's helpful. I'm doing the opposite - my summer holiday this year starts with Eid and carries on after it.

What are the malls, supermarkets like during the daytime though? If I have to get anything done I'd like to get it done so I can be safely off the roads before the sunset traffic-apocalypse...
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_Show
Thanks, that's helpful. I'm doing the opposite - my summer holiday this year starts with Eid and carries on after it.

What are the malls, supermarkets like during the daytime though? If I have to get anything done I'd like to get it done so I can be safely off the roads before the sunset traffic-apocalypse...
Most supermarkets will work a split shift , usually opening at 9am for 3-4 hrs shutting down and reopening later for the evening . Traffic on an evening is bad and before Iftar horrendous and life threatening .

If you keep away from the peak time nonsense then it can be pretty relaxing here , the schools are shut and a lot of families leave so it's pretty quiet . Just make sure you have plenty booze to see you through or you'll be cold turkey like a strung out smackhead in a seaside bedsit
Old Jun 10th 2015, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Most supermarkets will work a split shift , usually opening at 9am for 3-4 hrs shutting down and reopening later for the evening . Traffic on an evening is bad and before Iftar horrendous and life threatening .

If you keep away from the peak time nonsense then it can be pretty relaxing here , the schools are shut and a lot of families leave so it's pretty quiet . Just make sure you have plenty booze to see you through or you'll be cold turkey like a strung out smackhead in a seaside bedsit
Cheers mate, handy to know.

No worries about the booze, I'm heading to QDC on Sunday morning to top-up my supplies!
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_Show
Cheers mate, handy to know.

No worries about the booze, I'm heading to QDC on Sunday morning to top-up my supplies!
Double Bubble allowance before the Holy Month as well , get in early as they'll be queuing round the block next week !!
Old Jun 10th 2015, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Double Bubble allowance before the Holy Month as well , get in early as they'll be queuing round the block next week !!
I've got a couple of days off so I'll be going bright and early in the morning. That place is bad enough on a regular Thursday, let alone the week before Ramadan starts!

It'd be interesting to see some photos of all the queues for the panic-buying later on in the week though
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

Whats the story on booze and nightlife in Dubai during the 'festive period' ? Ive been in Bahrain before and its dry....
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DubInRiyadh
Whats the story on booze and nightlife in Dubai during the 'festive period' ? Ive been in Bahrain before and its dry....
Dry in Doha and you'll get a beer in Dubai after 8pm but no live music .
Old Jun 11th 2015, 10:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Dry in Doha and you'll get a beer in Dubai after 8pm but no live music .
Spot on. Although they'll play music over speakers and then tell you off for dancing. My advice to all bars; don't play the ****ing macarena if you don't want me to throw some shapes.