Ramadan in Cairo

Old Jul 23rd 2012, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

BritGeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ramadan in Cairo

Hi Everyone, I will be in Cairo for a few days during Ramadan and I have read on the internet that "tourists do not have to observe the fast". Does that mean that we can drink water in public place such as when visitng the pyramids? I had assumed that all arabic countries would have the same rules as UAE but this gave me a bit of hope that it might be different in Egypt
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramadan in Cairo

Originally Posted by BritGeek
Hi Everyone, I will be in Cairo for a few days during Ramadan and I have read on the internet that "tourists do not have to observe the fast". Does that mean that we can drink water in public place such as when visitng the pyramids? I had assumed that all arabic countries would have the same rules as UAE but this gave me a bit of hope that it might be different in Egypt
I was there last year during Ramadan. I'd show a bit of caution but in general you will be fine. Make sure you don't go to the Pyramids near Iftar like I did...

Restaurants etc. are mostly open without curtains etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

qatarsoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritGeek
Be careful, I was there before in Ramadan as well, although Iam a Muslim, so it was easy for me. Try not to eat or drink in public, you never know there could be some idiots around, and things in Egypt are not like before, the extremists has so much muscle now . And they will use if they choose to do so. And don't go to Sinai , it's not safe there any more
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 2:17 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

No problem in Cairo, almost everything is as normal (except local bars and drink delivery companies are closed) cafes and hotels etc are open as normal. You can drink water etc in public but its best to be a bit discreet, thats about it.

The Sinai is as safe or unsafe as it ever was, drove from Taba (near the Israeli border) to Cairo a few weeks ago. At night and during the day, just be observant and don't stop for bedouin hitchhikers!

10% of Egypt is coptic christian so its not like all the country is fasting anyhow.