Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ramadan Activities / Opening Hours

Ramadan Activities / Opening Hours

Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice
Default Ramadan Activities / Opening Hours

Hi All,

So my flights are virtually confirmed for myself and the family to relocate at the end of July, but in my infinite supply of naivety I hadnt realised until lastnight that it would be Ramadan when we arrive. I believe it runs from around 10 July to about 9 August, give or take?

We are staying in a hotel right at the back of DIFC (where I'll be working) and fronting onto SZR, so not particularly child friendly but I thought, "great, theres a Starbucks 50yds up the road to get my morning fix, loads of restaurants in DIFC and downtown is a short cab ride away", but no...... Its Ramadan, which as I understand it means that pretty much everywhere except select restaurants in certain hotels is shut.

Does anybody have a list or suggestions of places that might be open? Given the heat and our status as new arrivals, much of our days will be punctuated by viewing houses, to the mall, to the pool, back to viewing houses..... .and so on. I'm therefore quite keen to keep the wife, kids and myself entertained, fed and watered sufficiently in our first week or so (at least until everything comes back "on stream"). Hence, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 9:46 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ramadan Activities / Opening Hours

Originally Posted by MrBAH View Post
Hi All,

So my flights are virtually confirmed for myself and the family to relocate at the end of July, but in my infinite supply of naivety I hadnt realised until lastnight that it would be Ramadan when we arrive. I believe it runs from around 10 July to about 9 August, give or take?

We are staying in a hotel right at the back of DIFC (where I'll be working) and fronting onto SZR, so not particularly child friendly but I thought, "great, theres a Starbucks 50yds up the road to get my morning fix, loads of restaurants in DIFC and downtown is a short cab ride away", but no...... Its Ramadan, which as I understand it means that pretty much everywhere except select restaurants in certain hotels is shut.

Does anybody have a list or suggestions of places that might be open? Given the heat and our status as new arrivals, much of our days will be punctuated by viewing houses, to the mall, to the pool, back to viewing houses..... .and so on. I'm therefore quite keen to keep the wife, kids and myself entertained, fed and watered sufficiently in our first week or so (at least until everything comes back "on stream"). Hence, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks.
The Dubai International Food Court will be buzzing as normal.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
The Dubai International Food Court will be buzzing as normal.
McD and KFC are open in the Malls but only for Take-away
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice

Ok thanks, I've heard a few outlets like McD etc - Starbucks, Caffe Bero, etc are open in Malls but for takeaway only.

Again, please excuse my ignorance but does "take-away only" mean you have to scurry back to your car and covertly sneak a slurp of coffee or whatever, or is it just a case that you cannot sit-in said establishments but can freely walk around the malls drinking a coffee, etc?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBAH View Post
can freely walk around the malls drinking a coffee, etc?
No, you can't do that.

The Mall of Emirates may be an option as the outlet opposite the Ski Slope is actually part of the Kempinski hotel - it always used to open but with curtains up keeping those who may be offended out
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

You can eat and drink as normal after 7pm or thereabouts.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 7:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Eid is expected around 7th August, so you'll only be here for the last week or so of Ramadan. Just remember that there is no eating, drinking or smoking in public until they call evening prayers.

Every year more and more places seem to be open and as Millhouse says you'd never realise it was Ramadan in DIFC. It's not that hard really and everywhere is open in the evening until very late. Supermarkets etc are fully open too, so you won't starve!
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:40 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

You won't forget arriving in Dubai that's for sure, did you get a villa sorted?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:52 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Food court in the Dubai Mall.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Food court in the Dubai Mall.
for take-away only
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:06 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
for take-away only
Really? Didn't use to be.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Really? Didn't use to be.
Yes. You're right it didn't used to be, but last year (and possibly the year before) they had it curtained off, but only takeaways allowed.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Blue Cat, not sorted villa yet - I arrive with the family but have 2-wks off to enjoy endless viewings, no food during daylight hours and searing heat...
Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep View Post
Yes. You're right it didn't used to be, but last year (and possibly the year before) they had it curtained off, but only takeaways allowed.
it was last year they started the take-away only thing, their lack of willpower destroys it for everyone else and what would a fasting muslim be doing in a food court at lunch time anyway?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In KSA the locals cope with Ramadan by turning night into day. Weird but you can get used to it ! I remeber vteaching my evening classes from 11pm to 1 am instead of the more normal 6 to 8 pm. Something strange about coming out of class and having ba coffee at 01.30 am.

I am sure that UAE is the same as cities in KSA - AVOID THE ROADS IN THAT 45 MINUTES BEFORE THE BREAKING OF THE FAST AT SUNSET. Unless you are suicidal !

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.