British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   RAK-Ras Al Khaimah (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/rak-ras-al-khaimah-719499/)

eunmamam Jun 3rd 2011 5:42 pm

RAK-Ras Al Khaimah

Hello, my family word is upside down since last night. I and my girls are supposed to flight out to KSA today, can't tell any more.
I don't know where to start but I need some information about RAK.
Any ex-pat family live there ?
Is it good environment for family with little kids ?
Good schools for British kids ?
Safety and living cost, etc ???
Please anybody, any information you know, share with me.
This relocation stuff is leading me and my hubby into a divorce !!!
Cheer !

Meow Jun 4th 2011 12:22 pm

Re: RAK-Ras Al Khaimah

I am totally confused. You say you are flying to KSA, but are asking about RAK which is an emirate in the UAE.

:confused:

Umbrella Jun 4th 2011 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by eunmamam (Post 9408186)
Hello, my family word is upside down since last night. I and my girls are supposed to flight out to KSA today, can't tell any more.
I don't know where to start but I need some information about RAK.
Any ex-pat family live there ?
Is it good environment for family with little kids ?
Good schools for British kids ?
Safety and living cost, etc ???
Please anybody, any information you know, share with me.
This relocation stuff is leading me and my hubby into a divorce !!!
Cheer !

Confused as well.

RAK is much better than KSA.

That said, it isn't paradise. You will find it much more liveable.

Go to rakapedia.com for some more information.

The zombies have been removed from this emirate.

U.

OriginalSunshine Jun 4th 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Umbrella (Post 9410022)
Confused as well.

RAK is much better than KSA.

That said, it isn't paradise. You will find it much more liveable.

Go to rakapedia.com for some more information.

The zombies have been removed from this emirate.

U.

RAK is still a dry cement factory shit-hole though. the only good thing about RAK is that it is an hour's drive from Dubai

lionheart Jun 4th 2011 2:59 pm

Is the original poster a WUM (wind up merchant) or does she really have no idea where RAK is located?:confused:

Blue Cat Jun 4th 2011 3:00 pm

RAK aint bad, we have a poster who lives up there, he will see this and give comment. Check out RAKESS school.

OriginalSunshine Jun 4th 2011 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 9410053)
Is the original poster a WUM (wind up merchant) or does she really have no idea where RAK is located?:confused:

oh hang on.

I wonder if she means...... South Rub Al Khali Company aka SRAK.....:unsure:

nope - she doesnt. title fairly explicit. sounds like someone who is trying to find an alternative location to KSA to live in.

eunmamam Jun 4th 2011 7:09 pm

Dear all, I know you are confused, not surprise! I am totally in limbo at the moment.

Now, I am using free internet (wi-fi) in MacDonald, thanks for my pygo UK mobile, sleep own my own home (fortunately, tenant will move in 25th June) , Children has left school, no electricity, water but has been surviving for 2days with my friend's help, don't know what to do after few days.

The story is my husband's CEO of waste management/environment consulting company has asked my husband (on 2nd June) to relocate to Ras Al Kaimah, North of Dubai. The company has several factories and offices overseas !
The last minute decision just A DAY before I and my girls supposed to flight to Saudi. It's a promotion for my hubby (not double money, though) He accepted the offer without consulting me, he said No time to do it!

Actually, I want to KILL both of MEN. After have been through all the Saudi Visa stress, living in uncertainty for almost a year. To be honest, I am not sure if I want to be with my husband any more am I willing to take another stress in this circumstance ?!?!?!

Only positive thing is NO financial loss for us as his company will reimburse the school application fees (BISJ), cancelled flight and my household shipment will ship back to RAK once KSA custom cleared.

My husband said, it's much better place and more freedom, bula bula the UAE visa is quite straight forward, takes only 1-2 weeks, REALLY, any Idea???

Sorry, I don't mean this thread sounds a Personal Counselling.
Anybody out there, any more information about RAK and possibly some personal advice shall I go or not.

Thanks for the post.

shiva Jun 4th 2011 7:33 pm

Any advice. Yeah stfu get on the plane and be grateful you managed to avoid Saudi

Hello.Kitty Jun 5th 2011 4:30 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 9410389)
Any advice. Yeah stfu get on the plane and be grateful you managed to avoid Saudi

ouch!

----

So you were all set to relocate to Saudi but at the last minute, your husband found a [better] job in RAK?

Aside from the logistics of getting your stuff back, I think you're quite lucky to have avoided KSA in that pretty much anywhere's better than there... even RAK!

flares Jun 5th 2011 4:41 am

just go with the flow eunmaman.

UAE will be a much better posting than KSA.

and if you can get to live in Dubai even better for you. Commute to RAK is dunno about 1 hour each way

Millhouse Jun 5th 2011 2:51 pm

If I were you I would leave him.

eunmamam Jun 5th 2011 2:53 pm

Thanks all for the positive comments, feel much better now.
It's the same company but has transfered to RAK at the last minute.
I know it's better to live in Dubai but my hubby's sponsor has own villa in RAK.
So, :fingerscrossed: for the re-negotiation about accomodation.
Anyway, thanks all for the post and will let know you how things go here,
still mess, though.

eunmamam Jun 5th 2011 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9411724)
If I were you I would leave him.

Can I go stay with you instead ? I have 3 beautiful and well mannered girls (under 10). :p

MataHari Jun 5th 2011 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by eunmamam (Post 9411730)
Can I go stay with you instead ? I have 3 beautiful and well mannered girls (under 10). :p

you'll be better off living in Saudi than with Millhouse...