Reload this Page >

Raising a family in Dubai??

Raising a family in Dubai??

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 5:03 pm
Dreams come true....when?

Ifti is on a distinguished road
Default Raising a family in Dubai??

Hi
Both my wife and myself are thinking of moving to Dubai. Im 24 and work in the IT industry. I understand I can gain entry with my wife on a 2 month visit visa and need sponsorship from a company etc to stay longer. Im planning to live and work in Dubai for about 3 or 4 years before I move back to Britain.

My main confusion is if we decide to have a child while in Dubai. If my wife and I decide to have a child while we are still in Dubai, would the baby automatically pick up a visa etc or is one required?? Also would he/she be considered with an arab nationality - being born in Dubai and all? Or am I correct in assuming if we stay in Dubai for approx 4 years, have a child in them 4 years, could we still move back to Britain and carry on the childs education etc here with a British nationality??

I do apologise if this is confusing. Im basically stuck in knowing what would happen if we had a child in Dubai, while still considering moving back to Britain at some point in the future maybe. Also what would the complications be if we decided to have a child here and then wanted to move to Dubai for a few years after - would a company sponser my wife and child as well as myself??

Many thanks for any info in advance.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 5:20 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Raising a family in Dubai??

Originally Posted by Ifti
Hi
Both my wife and myself are thinking of moving to Dubai. Im 24 and work in the IT industry. I understand I can gain entry with my wife on a 2 month visit visa and need sponsorship from a company etc to stay longer. Im planning to live and work in Dubai for about 3 or 4 years before I move back to Britain.

My main confusion is if we decide to have a child while in Dubai. If my wife and I decide to have a child while we are still in Dubai, would the baby automatically pick up a visa etc or is one required?? Also would he/she be considered with an arab nationality - being born in Dubai and all? Or am I correct in assuming if we stay in Dubai for approx 4 years, have a child in them 4 years, could we still move back to Britain and carry on the childs education etc here with a British nationality??

I do apologise if this is confusing. Im basically stuck in knowing what would happen if we had a child in Dubai, while still considering moving back to Britain at some point in the future maybe. Also what would the complications be if we decided to have a child here and then wanted to move to Dubai for a few years after - would a company sponser my wife and child as well as myself??

I friend of mine has recenly been thru this....you have to jump thru alot of hoops but you can get a UK passport for the kiddie....contact the consulate...the details are in the FAQ threads at the top of the ME forum..

Cheers
TS
Old Dec 24th 2004, 7:06 am
Dazed and Confused

Crying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant futureCrying Freeman has a brilliant future

Hi

Welcome to the board. My friend's 2 year old was born over here, I think he goes on the parents passport until he is old enough (16 i think). Even though he was born here he will never be and arab national, you can only be an arab national if one of the parents is. He has a choice of either being an English or Filipino passport holder or dual national as and when he is older.

The british consulate should be able to give you all the info required, also try the Dubai explorer as it has some info there too.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Crying Freeman
Welcome to the board. My friend's 2 year old was born over here, I think he goes on the parents passport until he is old enough (16 i think). Even though he was born here he will never be and arab national, you can only be an arab national if one of the parents is. He has a choice of either being an English or Filipino passport holder or dual national as and when he is older.

The british consulate should be able to give you all the info required, also try the Dubai explorer as it has some info there too.

Hope this helps.
As far as I am aware you can't get children added to their parents' British passports anymore. My daughter was born in April last year & we were moving in August so I had to get her her own passport.

Bit of a bloody joke though - the photo was the "baby's first portrait" taken in the hospital when she was 3 days old & she's stuck with it until she's 5! Have also heard that in some parts of the world there's a great trade in babies' passports for that very reason as no doctoring of the photo is needed as it could be anybody.
Old Dec 24th 2004, 3:33 pm

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
As far as I am aware you can't get children added to their parents' British passports anymore. My daughter was born in April last year & we were moving in August so I had to get her her own passport.

Bit of a bloody joke though - the photo was the "baby's first portrait" taken in the hospital when she was 3 days old & she's stuck with it until she's 5! Have also heard that in some parts of the world there's a great trade in babies' passports for that very reason as no doctoring of the photo is needed as it could be anybody.

When I needed a passport for my daughter back in 96, she had to be added to mine.... I since lost that passport and was told February last year when I queried about a replacement they told me that a child now has to have their own one ... More expense.

LL... Looking at the pics of my two when they were babies, there was no mistaking that they were related to me
Old Dec 24th 2004, 4:16 pm

Thanks you everyone for the info. It is much appreciated. I was really looking to relocate to Dubai with my wife for around 3 to 4 years - for the experience more then anything ;o) I am of British nationaility and my wife is Pakistani - also soon becoming a British national.
If we do decide to have a child while in Dubai as long as we have the option of keeping our child a British national, whether its with his/her own passport or under my passport, I think I would be happy.
Thansk again for the info. Have a great Xmas.
Ifti
Old Dec 24th 2004, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

aburob has a brilliant futureaburob has a brilliant futureaburob has a brilliant futureaburob has a brilliant futureaburob has a brilliant futureaburob has a brilliant future

My daughter was born in UAE, Abu Dhabi. We had 120 days to get her visa sorted out, which was enough time to arrange a passport through the British Embassy. If you can, avoid going for a temporary passport just to speed things up as it will need to be attached to the permanent passport until the residence visa needs renewing (3years). Individual passports for any age of child has been around for a while now. My daughter is stuck with a photo in her passport that looks nothing like her for another 3 years.

As far as I know depending on your level of income you would sponsor your family once your employment and residence visa was sorted out. I was fortunate that my employer also paid for my family's visa's.

Cheers
Have a merry Xmas
Old Dec 24th 2004, 6:10 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crying Freeman

Hope this helps.
U can't be a british national if the father born outside UK. Except if it is got things to do with RAF or any other military things. I mean my husband can passed the nationality even he born in Germany, the reason is he was there because my father in law worked for RAF. If he born in Germany because of my father in law expatting with ordinary company, my husband can not pass the citizenship to my son when my son born outside UK (he born in Doha).
Old Dec 24th 2004, 6:18 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks you everyone for the info. It is much appreciated. I was really looking to relocate to Dubai with my wife for around 3 to 4 years - for the experience more then anything ;o) I am of British nationaility and my wife is Pakistani - also soon becoming a British national.
If we do decide to have a child while in Dubai as long as we have the option of keeping our child a British national, whether its with his/her own passport or under my passport, I think I would be happy.
Thansk again for the info. Have a great Xmas.
Ifti
Abt child things... if u not born in the UK, ur wife will have to deliver the child in the UK so the child can attain the british passport. If not the child will have to get through the settlement things. I will defenitely said best if the baby having a british passport than pakistani passport. British passport more acknowledgeable worldwide. Except if Pakistan allow dual nationality, the baby can have both then...

Good luck with ur relocating!!!

NOVITA
Old Dec 24th 2004, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by novita77
Abt child things... if u not born in the UK, ur wife will have to deliver the child in the UK so the child can attain the british passport. If not the child will have to get through the settlement things. I will defenitely said best if the baby having a british passport than pakistani passport. British passport more acknowledgeable worldwide. Except if Pakistan allow dual nationality, the baby can have both then...

Good luck with ur relocating!!!

NOVITA
Hi, again thank you so much for the info.
I would personally prefer for any future child to have a British passport for the reason you suggest, and am currently working on getting my wife's British residency up to scratch so that she may have a British passport also.
I know im probably jumping the gun, but I like to plan ahead and have all areas covered before I make such a big move ;o)
Old Dec 25th 2004, 5:39 am
semarang

Hi, again thank you so much for the info.
I would personally prefer for any future child to have a British passport for the reason you suggest, and am currently working on getting my wife's British residency up to scratch so that she may have a British passport also.
I know im probably jumping the gun, but I like to plan ahead and have all areas covered before I make such a big move ;o)
Hubby said as long as u born in the UK r u OK with child passport. When my son born, they never ask the mother paperwork only father...

MERRY XMAS !!!