Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Radio adverts lying again.

Radio adverts lying again.

Old May 30th 2007, 12:50 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Radio adverts lying again.

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
in my last job i treated my electricians to a night out in Carters.

We were at the table for around 30 mins when one of the guys, an indian went to the toilet (as you all know it is outside of the restaurant)

he was gone for about 15 minutes when my phone rang. He was outside and the bouncer would not let him in cause he was an indian

I went over to the door and really let rip at the bouncer the manager and anyone who worked near the door and were aware of the situation

I demanded that the manager personally serve Dileep a malt whiskey of his choice on the house or there would be merry hell to pay.

He did and the bouncer apologised prefusely (fair enough as he was just following orders) It was the manager that i wanted an apology from

He gave me the usual, we do not operate an anti indian policy etc we reserve the right however to be selective on who we allow into the place.

I asked him on what he basis his selection on, Dress??

I had jeans and diesel trainer/shoes on with a t-shirt
dileep had a smart well ironed shirt, nice trousers and polished shoes

he couldnt answer me

prick:curse:

a bloody disgrace and i have not been back since
I would say shocking, but it isn't. It goes on everywhere.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I would say shocking, but it isn't. It goes on everywhere.
i know, we iused to go to a restaurant in sharjah for lunch. We all had on our overalls etc,

our little game was to tell the indian guys to go the restaurant first

just as the doorman/waiter was about to turn them away,

my scottish pal and i would come round the corner dressed in EXACTLY the same as my collegues.

Afternoon sir, table for how many???

unreal, but as you say, believable
Old May 30th 2007, 12:59 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

i know, we iused to go to a restaurant in sharjah for lunch. We all had on our overalls etc,

our little game was to tell the indian guys to go the restaurant first

just as the doorman/waiter was about to turn them away,

my scottish pal and i would come round the corner dressed in EXACTLY the same as my collegues.

Afternoon sir, table for how many???

unreal, but as you say, believable
They even do it in Sharjah? That is shocking.
Old May 30th 2007, 1:00 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I bet they do it everywhere in the Gulf - and people want to come here and spend 10 million on houses to live in our wonderful city!!! yeah right!!!
Old May 30th 2007, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I bet they do it everywhere in the Gulf - and people want to come here and spend 10 million on houses to live in our wonderful city!!! yeah right!!!
thing is thou, its indians turning away indians.

They are the most inter racial people i have ever met.
Old May 30th 2007, 1:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

thing is thou, its indians turning away indians.

They are the most inter racial people i have ever met.
I know it is mad, my friend who has just built her own villa said it was driving her round the bend, the Supervisor wouldn't so much as lift a finger - she was moving marble herself and he did nothing!! If it isn't their job they just WON'T do it.
Old May 30th 2007, 1:58 am
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I know it is mad, my friend who has just built her own villa said it was driving her round the bend, the Supervisor wouldn't so much as lift a finger - she was moving marble herself and he did nothing!! If it isn't their job they just WON'T do it.
It's the caste (class) system, or so I've been told. I've seen the better-off Indian families in parks just leaving litter everywhere, because they expect someone else to clean up after them.
Old May 30th 2007, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

That Sharaf DG one about "if we don't have it, you get it free" has been shown to be total carp. It only applies to certain products according to today's 7 Days. The logic was all wrong anyway. How can they something if they don't have it?
Is a bit of odd policy, I asked for a component to composite video converter and the guy said no we don't have it. I asked how he was going to get me a free one? He explained that I would have to find it in shop and tell them the price, model and make etc. And then something about three days what I am not sure?

Also while there someone was returning a camera bag I think and was saying he found it cheaper at Grand Stores! Wasn't making a scene but was saying quietly and calmly that he would not be shopping here again and called them a disgrace for their advertising campaign.

Wouldn't mind the 103" plasma screen though, just need to find it cheaper then dhs 245,000!!!!!!!
Old May 30th 2007, 2:56 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Benson
Is a bit of odd policy, I asked for a component to composite video converter and the guy said no we don't have it. I asked how he was going to get me a free one? He explained that I would have to find it in shop and tell them the price, model and make etc. And then something about three days what I am not sure?

Also while there someone was returning a camera bag I think and was saying he found it cheaper at Grand Stores! Wasn't making a scene but was saying quietly and calmly that he would not be shopping here again and called them a disgrace for their advertising campaign.

Wouldn't mind the 103" plasma screen though, just need to find it cheaper then dhs 245,000!!!!!!!
try Jumbo!
Old May 30th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the caste (class) system, or so I've been told. I've seen the better-off Indian families in parks just leaving litter everywhere, because they expect someone else to clean up after them.
This is generalising and sweeping... but sadly quite true. Being Indian by blood myself I am thorougly ashamed of it.
Old May 30th 2007, 5:00 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by jvr20
This is generalising and sweeping... but sadly quite true. Being Indian by blood myself I am thorougly ashamed of it.
It was just what I was told. I have witnessed the littering personally, and was curious about it. Generally, I'm against generalising.
Old May 30th 2007, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

It was just what I was told. I have witnessed the littering personally, and was curious about it. Generally, I'm against generalising.
I didn't mean the litter thing per se - after all that particular alleged offense is not just limited to here and to a certain group, witness chav behaviour at home - I meant the whole 'trying to out-white the whites' colonial mentality that still exists to this day.