British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Racism in Dubai nightspots! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/racism-dubai-nightspots-436838/)

FAX Jan 30th 2008 5:24 pm

Re: Racism in Dubai nightspots!

Just been searching the forum for old topics that might answer some of my newbie questions.

Shame about some of these nightspots having unofficial racist policies. As a British Asian person, what can I do to ensure a hassle free night?

Would it be best for me to make reservations in advance?

Or would the old "greasy Dh50 note carefully handed to the bouncer" trick work its magic (which I don't mind doing to be honest, if it avoids the "sorry mate couples only" aka "no darkies please")

The Dean Jan 30th 2008 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 5859647)
Just been searching the forum for old topics that might answer some of my newbie questions.

Shame about some of these nightspots having unofficial racist policies. As a British Asian person, what can I do to ensure a hassle free night?

Or would the old "greasy Dh50 note carefully handed to the bouncer" trick work its magic (which I don't mind doing to be honest, if it avoids the "sorry mate couples only" aka "no darkies please")

Blimey.....

Welcome back to an old friend - the "Racism in nightcubs" thread..........

........ obviously a serious issue that a lot of you care about - after 30 posts it still never once went off-topic.........

Madam Medusa Jan 30th 2008 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 5859647)

Fax, i know a lot of asian guys who don't have any issues (and my hubbie is half indian)...take some of this with a pinch of salt...

MM, xx

jvr20 Jan 31st 2008 3:56 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5859690)
Blimey.....

Welcome back to an old friend - the "Racism in nightcubs" thread..........

........ obviously a serious issue that a lot of you care about - after 30 posts it still never once went off-topic.........

Yeah i think it was one of my very first threads since joining the board!

Fax, I don't really get out much (long story) but when I do i haven't had any trouble... but I'm always with a group of white people and always so far a mixed crowd. I don't have any desi friends here, and never been out in a male-only group, and I'm guessing that's when the real problem is.

lionheart Jan 31st 2008 4:11 am

You will find nightclub entry much easier if you are accompanied by a woman. I know a couple of guys who pay virtual strangers (ie.women) for this dubious privilege.

NorthernLad Jan 31st 2008 4:41 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5862150)
You will find nightclub entry much easier if you are accompanied by a woman. I know a couple of guys who pay virtual strangers (ie.women) for this dubious privilege.

As far as I remember, Barasti has 'couples only' notice at the gate, I guess they use it to stop large groups of lads.

I think Left Bank has a similar policy.

I have yet to see a group of girls turned away from any bar.

Paidtoplease Jan 31st 2008 4:44 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 5862212)
As far as I remember, Barasti has 'couples only' notice at the gate, I guess they use it to stop large groups of lads.

And why would you ??? :p

MataHari Jan 31st 2008 4:47 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 5862212)

I am not sure how it works...cause most places have far more guys in than women...so it can never be couples only...
And everywhere I go there are loads of Indians, Arabs etc...so it's not like they cannot get in...and I am not talking Boudoir only...it's the same in Trilogy (well before the member ship, not been since), Chi/Lodge, The Apartment, 400 Club, Peppermint....It looks more like a random selection thing going on....either 'they like your face' or not...
Oh and about taking money from guys to get them in....ridiculous! You just walk in with them, they say thank you and that is it...no money involved.

Inselaffen Jan 31st 2008 5:10 am

when are we going to have the Sexism in Dubai Clubs thread?

why is it accepted to be ok to have free entry/free drinks for women?

MataHari Jan 31st 2008 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5862261)
when are we going to have the Sexism in Dubai Clubs thread?

why is it accepted to be ok to have free entry/free drinks for women?

of course it is...so that's that discussion ended....see, no need for a thread.

Inselaffen Jan 31st 2008 6:50 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5862265)
of course it is...so that's that discussion ended....see, no need for a thread.

but I wanted to do a poll!!! :mad:

MataHari Jan 31st 2008 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5862470)
but I wanted to do a poll!!! :mad:

oh stop going on about it...enough is enough.

Inselaffen Jan 31st 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5862754)
oh stop going on about it...enough is enough.

Bored Fuhrer! :mad:

MataHari Jan 31st 2008 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5862762)
Bored Fuhrer! :mad:

yeah...where *is* Gareth these days...

Inselaffen Jan 31st 2008 8:34 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5862789)
yeah...where *is* Gareth these days...

he must be *busy* elsewhere