Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Racism in Dubai nightspots!

Racism in Dubai nightspots!

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:42 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Racism in Dubai nightspots!

http://www.xpress4me.com/news/uae/dubai/20000557.html

Racism in our favourite drinking spots!! Waxy's and Jimmy dix don't fare to well. This is a new newspaper that isn't shy about what it prints, and amazingly it is part of the gulf news group. Where is the moonwalking naked man for his comments!

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism in Dubai nightspots!

We don't go to any of these places - just as well, shows the mentality of the people behind them. What I read was absolutely disgusting :curse:

If it happened to me I would complain to DTCM, the media and do everything to give them bad publicity.......does not matter whether or not they take any action - not the type to take any cr@p!

Last edited by IndieG; Mar 23rd 2007 at 4:22 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:19 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
We don't go to any of these places - just as well, shows the mentality of the people behind it. What I read was absolutely disgusting :curse:

If it happened to me I would complain to DTCM, the media and do everything to give them bad publicity.......does not matter whether or not they take any action - not the type to take any cr@p!
years ago I was dating British Asian lad, we went to the Lodge together and they wouldn't let him in. I went mental as you do when you have had a glass or two. He had to go back to the hotel to get his passport to prove he was british. I know we shouldn't have gone in but in those days there was only the lodge for late nights, the diamond or whatever had closed down due to them advertising a gay night! oh memories!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I went mental as you do when you have had a glass or two.
Thought racism had less to do with passport and more to with skin colour......

I'd go mental without even having a glass
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:47 pm
W10

Nice to see Double Decker has learned its lesson. I made an official complaint once after being turned away.

Shame to see Waxy's and Rock Bottom are still the same...people who go there need to be shot to be honest.

Surprised about Boudoir and Sho Chos, I thought their policy was more "if you don't look like you drive a Porsche, you can't come in"

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:13 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, yet another reason why Dubai has started to wear me down. The casual, ingrained racism and rampant elitism that permeates the place can be quite sickening at times.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:55 am
W10

What's really annoying is the way that people just accept it as a 'That's Dubai' thing, like standing in 19 different queues to change a driving licence.

It is one thing that people have the power to change.

I never visit bars that I know to have a racist door policy, but I guess it doesn't matter to average white man. After all, it doesn't affect them. But watch them go when an Emirati gets favourable treatment at work...

Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:20 am
Concierge

the one rule for one, one rule for another can drive you mad I agree. Seeing as I haven't actually been to any of those nightspots mentioned I am a bit out of touch with door policies. I can remember being in the Boston a few years back and Asians weren't allowed in FULLSTOP! Dubai is the most racist place I have ever been to in my entire life. Jimmy your right it does get you down.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:34 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Sho Chos and Boudoir are full of people from all over the world, all colors and nationalities...lots of groups of only males as well,so I am not sure what happend there.

Waxy's I am not sure I have ever been there, Rock Bottom is a stupid place.

The Appartment, l find there are many nationalities as well, also depending on the DJ of the night, again also lots of male groups get in. Same for the Lodge.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:35 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by MataHari
Sho Chos and Boudoir are full of people from all over the world, all colors and nationalities...lots of groups of only males as well,so I am not sure what happend there.

The Appartment, l find there are many nationalities as well, also depending on the DJ of the night, again also lots of male groups get in. Same for the Lodge.
I need to get out more!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:51 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Nice to see Double Decker has learned its lesson. I made an official complaint once after being turned away.
I don't think they have learnt anything. The last few times I've been there (not through choice) the place was dead. I guess they let anyone in now as they need business. I'd also expect if it was still as popular as when it first opened they would still enforce their racist policy.

The bouncers there are complete nob jockeys.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:56 am
W10

The time I got refused entry there, I almost got beaten up because I insisted on asking to speak to the manager.

They told me I was being aggressive by standing by the door asking to speak to the manager while a bunch of white guys wandered in.

I ended by asking him how much he gets paid to sell his soul, and that if I give him Dh1,000 would he stop all white people coming in.

A Sudanese guy I know once said he would love to hire Waxy's for one night and stop all white people from coming in, only letting Asians in.

Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:09 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MataHari

Shocho, the Leb place... (owner, manager, crowd, etc), therefore, if you look "slick" (in their own eyes, obviously) you'll be greeted, if you're too casual, you'll be grated.
Moral: better a super-tacky Armani shirt open to your hairy belly than a normal "georgetown university" T-shirt. ESPECIALLY if you're a chocolate face!

Unless, of course, you're not a beautiful Dutch spy. Or you were one, , Lesbanese wear sunglasses all the time, they can't distinguish much more than the long hair.

I stopped going there when I heard the one-too-many unknown face calling me "habibi". Funny enough both the owner and manager were customers of mine

DD: you must be s*itting me! That place is SO SAD!
RB: after 1 am it starts being funny, usually because of an ongoing fight, fake-ids making out to warm up the boys and, of course: the pool table!
The lodge, apartment, trilogy: NEVER been there, and proud to be!!!SHAKIRA???AHAHAHAHAHA!Just funny.

I take a guess: none of you ever has ever been to club Africana, blue bar?Marco Polo in Deira? Indie, tell me you've been!Desi, Palm Beach Rotana? Mehfil!

Maybe the Dutch spy...
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:19 am
W10

I've been to Marco Polo and the Blue Bar

Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:52 am
Banned

GrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud ofGrecoRomano has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10
I've been to Marco Polo and the Blue Bar
You're my new favourite, W. Now go put your skirt on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.