Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Racial unrest in the UK

Racial unrest in the UK

Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:07 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Racial unrest in the UK

This is e-mail I receive from my step-son in the UK ...

France are getting a bit of trouble, and after all of the grief they give us (British) about immigration, maybe they have second thoughts now? And it kinda has already started over here with the riots in Birmingham the other week. That was between the African and Asian communities. Its got to the point now in England where we are having racial wars that don't even involve the British!!! Its crazy!!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:11 am
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racial unrest in the UK

Originally Posted by novita77
This is e-mail I receive from my step-son in the UK ...

France are getting a bit of trouble, and after all of the grief they give us (British) about immigration, maybe they have second thoughts now? And it kinda has already started over here with the riots in Birmingham the other week. That was between the African and Asian communities. Its got to the point now in England where we are having racial wars that don't even involve the British!!! Its crazy!!
Getting crazier by the minute (shaking head)...where is this world heading to!!!!

Hey Nov..............kiss kiss
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:45 am
W10

So blacks and Asians aren't British?

There is no such thing as total racial harmony. There will always be some kind of tension - but the UK is one of the best places in the world in terms of true integration.

Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:20 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10

There is no such thing as total racial harmony. There will always be some kind of tension - but the UK is one of the best places in the world in terms of true integration.
Having spoken to many Anglo Saxons on this subject, Integration is the Key word.

If people wish to make a new country there home, they need to obide by the rules, reg and customs, as most ex-pats in the M.East HAVE to do.

Im not in the least racist, but im sick of other nationalities moaning about western ways. (british asians blowing up stuff, Honour killings because British asian are becoming too western??!! wtf do they expect.!!)
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:28 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Having spoken to many Anglo Saxons on this subject, Integration is the Key word.

If people wish to make a new country there home, they need to obide by the rules, reg and customs, as most ex-pats in the M.East HAVE to do.

Im not in the least racist, but im sick of other nationalities moaning about western ways. (british asians blowing up stuff, Honour killings because British asian are becoming too western??!! wtf do they expect.!!)

When I was in Europe I couldn't stand the Turks! And I told the Germans that I am glad that UAE doesn't gives Nationality to any Tom d!ck and Harry!

People have to integrate and adjust with the society they live in, So my request to the Turks, Indonesians or whoever to keep in their mind, that the Culture and traditions of the UAE will always remain the same! NO EATING AND DRINKING OUTSIDE DURING RAMADAN!

We don't care neither do we give a toss as to what are the laws in your respective countries!

PS. Gulf News next time doesn't waste your letters to editor space with poeple complaining with our ways.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:37 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasaNova
When I was in Europe I couldn't stand the Turks! And I told the Germans that I am glad that UAE doesn't gives Nationality to any Tom d!ck and Harry!

People have to integrate and adjust with the society they live in, So my request to the Turks, Indonesians or whoever to keep in their mind, that the Culture and traditions of the UAE will always remain the same! NO EATING AND DRINKING OUTSIDE DURING RAMADAN!

We don't care neither do we give a toss as to what are the laws in your respective countries!

PS. Gulf News next time doesn't waste your letters to editor space with poeple complaining with our ways.
For once i agree with you CN,
What people forget is we are Guests in the country, and as such need to repsect local laws and customs.

If only the migrants to the UK or EU did the same.

If you move/live in another country you have to accept it the way you find it, not try to change it because it does not fit in to your religious or moral point of view.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:56 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi CN ... if there is no place open during Ramadhan it is fair enough. I don't like it ... but doesn't mean I am going to make a big riot over it or ... set the car on fire ...

I know if I do that I will get kick out from the country ... in other word DEPORTATION !!!

Why they can't do that in the UK???
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:58 pm
semarang

Originally Posted by W10

You and my son are half white and half asian .... and both are you are British
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:00 pm
Feeling broody

alowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to behold

You are right, us expats do have to abide by the rules of the country,as we would expect others to do so in our own countries, but it is easy to forget where you are sometimes. This was my first Ramadan in this country and I once forgot that it was a holy month and I went shopping and chewed gum. It was only when I passed a closed cafe that I remembered :-( I felt awful and thought that the Muslims must have thought I was really disrespectful. I didn't mean to be. Sometimes our own countries habits are hard to forget.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:23 pm
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by novita77
Hi CN ... if there is no place open during Ramadhan it is fair enough. I don't like it ... but doesn't mean I am going to make a big riot over it or ... set the car on fire ...

I know if I do that I will get kick out from the country ... in other word DEPORTATION !!!

Why they can't do that in the UK???

I was talking to a French friend of mine regrading this issue of Riots in France, according to him and many others, France is not a friendly country if you are a non-french or a non-french speaking person! and Rascism is blatant with the attitude of the people.

The problem of the Immigrants is that they believe that its their right to stay in France becuase France Colonised their countries and forced their Culture on them!

Who is to Blame I dont know!

Long live the RULERS OF THE UNITED ARAB EMIRATES! thats all i Know.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:40 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=CasaNova]I was talking to a French friend of mine regrading this issue of Riots in France, according to him and many others, France is not a friendly country if you are a non-french or a non-french speaking person! and Rascism is blatant with the attitude of the people.

Hence the jokes about the French
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

I was talking to a French friend of mine regrading this issue of Riots in France, according to him and many others, France is not a friendly country if you are a non-french or a non-french speaking person! and Rascism is blatant with the attitude of the people.

The problem of the Immigrants is that they believe that its their right to stay in France becuase France Colonised their countries and forced their Culture on them!

That's a tricky one CN and I don't have the answers either. I remember the fuss in the UK when Hong Kong was being "handed back" to China and there was a rush for British passports. Not the sort of issue where you'll ever please everyone
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:52 pm
Up in the air

My mother lives in France, and to a point, you are right, they do not have much time for us nor do they go out of their way.....HOWEVER, once you make an effort to learn the language and join in with local events/festivals they are very very nice people (apart from the parisiens).

I know that there was uproar when they banned muslin headscarfs in schools, But you have to bear in mind, they also banned crucifixes and any other overtly obvious regious icons regardless of which flavour of religion.

I think they have got some aspects right. Do what you like in your own home, but but dont force your views on others.
If it causes that much upset to christians, jews or muslims that they cant wear religious icon at school just leave france...simple !!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:56 pm
Look, the bar's open

china syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud ofchina syndrome has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by alowicious_28
You are right, us expats do have to abide by the rules of the country,as we would expect others to do so in our own countries, but it is easy to forget where you are sometimes. This was my first Ramadan in this country and I once forgot that it was a holy month and I went shopping and chewed gum. It was only when I passed a closed cafe that I remembered :-( I felt awful and thought that the Muslims must have thought I was really disrespectful. I didn't mean to be. Sometimes our own countries habits are hard to forget.
Quite easy to do, just last week I looked up to find the office door left ajar as I took a gulp of tea (did somebody pass, or did they not?) ............. then find myself feeling guilty as I go to close it, at least we are attempting to be considerate. It appears we and all expats I know do give a toss. And to be honest, I dont believe the muslims I work with, or most I know for that matter would hold such a thing against me in such circumstances, they are quite understanding.

The problem is, we dont know which lines we might cross, or how far we can cross them, that could get us into trouble.

The emerging problems in other more 'tolerant' countries is that if some people are not happy and dont give a toss about the laws, they take it upon themselves to express themselves and show their discontent on the streets. They know that in such transparent societies such events will be publicised and any hint at deportation etc will be met with a (I can hear it now) shouts of 'human right violations' as voices from afar condem the possibility that the thugs and arsonist may possibly be punished or even deported.

I agree with you, we as expats (and frequent travellers to other countries on vacation, business etc) have to abide by the laws and rules of that country we are guests in.

I have been in ME for more than a decade, and continue to comply with laws, rules and any other requirement required of me.
Because for the time being, I wish to stay where I am.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:00 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by china syndrome
Quite easy to do, just last week I looked up to find the office door left ajar as I took a gulp of tea (did somebody pass, or did they not?) ............. then find myself feeling guilty as I go to close it, at least we are attempting to be considerate. It appears we and all expats I know do give a toss. And to be honest, I dont believe the muslims I work with, or most I know for that matter would hold such a thing against me in such circumstances, they are quite understanding.

The problem is, we dont know which lines we might cross, or how far we can cross them, that could get us into trouble.

The emerging problems in other more 'tolerant' countries is that if some people are not happy and dont give a toss about the laws, they take it upon themselves to express themselves and show their discontent on the streets. They know that in such transparent societies such events will be publicised and any hint at deportation etc will be met with a (I can hear it now) shouts of 'human right violations' as voices from afar condem the possibility that the thugs and arsonist may possibly be punished or even deported.

I agree with you, we as expats (and frequent travellers to other countries on vacation, business etc) have to abide by the laws and rules of that country we are guests in.

I have been in ME for more than a decade, and continue to comply with laws, rules and any other requirement required of me.
Because for the time being, I wish to stay where I am.
well said !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.