Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Closed Thread

Old May 15th 2011, 8:39 pm
  #16  
You read these things?
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,261
auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

In all seriousness, I'd consider adopting it in the worst case scenario. I had house rabbits when I was living in the UK, and they now live with my ex.

They're so attentive and loving, it's hard to imagine having to let go, but it's better for them to go to a loving home than a shelter.
auzdafluff is offline  
Old May 23rd 2011, 9:59 am
  #17  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 22
MikeSS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Unfortunately pet rabbits can't enter the UK from outside the EU without going into quarantine, so this is something you'd need to consider. It's an expensive business (both in terms of the flight and the quarantine itself), but you wouldn't be the first person to consider it and bring a rabbit over- here's an updated web page for info:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...other-animals/
MikeSS is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:22 am
  #18  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
ZiggyCo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Hi FluffyBee,

I am actually the one who asked the question about rabbit travel from Dubai on the pet travel website link that ScottMac sent you.

After whole load of pressure from certain people telling me that the best thing for a rabbit would be to re-home her in Dubai and not put her through the stress of travel, I actually did just that. I found a lovely couple with another rabbit who couldn't have been more perfect. However, I just felt so bad leaving her there and she looked so mad when I left! I was told she stamped her feet and huffed and puffed that whole first night away and then pretty much camped out behind their washing machine and growled at everyone for the rest of her week-long trial period which is all extremely uncharacteristic of her.

I think the problem is that people tend to underestimate the intelligence or rabbits - they may not do tricks on command like a dog but my bun knows exactly who I am and (I think) also enjoys spending time with me as opposed to other people. She also trusts that I will protect her - she runs to me for comfort after the vet finishes clipping her toe nails and jumps for joy whenever I come back after being out of the country for long periods.

Before I took her to her trial new home I had her checked out by the vet who told me she would have been absolutely fine to fly. Also, the husband of the girl adopting her was also a vet and also said it's completely fine for a rabbit to fly. On the hour-long car journey there she was fine too, having a wash, eating some hay etc... So, in short, I weighed up the options and decided to take her back to England with me after all. I'm going in September so fingers crossed everything will work out ok!

Rabbit live up to the age of 14, so I was also really worried about what would happen when the lovely new owners that I found her left (everyone's an expat in Dubai! lol). I was soo worried she'd end up as snake food or be put down in an animal shelter that ran out of space.

So anyway, sorry for the extremely long post, but here is a little info that I gathered during an extremely intense week of bunny travel research! lol I'm just copying and pasting below an email that I sent to Homely Petz in Dubai last week about the different travel options and paper work required (sorry about the weird formatting):

RABBIT TRAVEL TO THE UK AND EU (Different requirements):
>
I've literally been looking into this for a couple of years and have found that no
> one really knows much about transporting a rabbit as not many people
> seem to do it. Everyone gave me conflicting information and Dubai
> Kennels and Cattery even sent me a quote of Dh6,500 just for the
> transportation - no wonder no one does it! lol...
>
> Anyway, after a whole ton of additional last minute research and lots
> of telephone calls with DEFRA, European pet shipping companies, EU
> embassies, Vets in Germany and several different airlines... and a whole lot of
> checking and re-checking... it turns out the whole process of taking a
> rabbit back to Europe only costs about Dh800 if you organise it
> yourself - and requires no red tape other than a health certificate.
>
> If you transport a rabbit directly back to the UK, it will have to
> undergo a very costly six months quarantine. However, this can be
> easily and _legally_ avoided be travelling though Europe. (I was
> given
> the ok to do this by DEFRA and also found other people online who
> have
> done the same thing:
> http://www.bunspace.com:9000/groups/topic?tid=6448 [1] ).
>
> The only paperwork required for a rabbit to enter Germany or Holland
> from outside of the EU, is a health certificate from the UAE Ministry
> of Environment and Water (MEOW). (no vaccinations required and no
> microchip etc). I also thought about going through France but that
> requires certain vaccines that can kill a rabbit - so it's much
> better to go through Holland or Germany.
>
> As for the flight from Dubai, bunnies can travel with Emirates in cargo to Dusseldorf, Germany, which is just a couple of hours by train to the ferry station of Hoek Van Holland
> (They can also go with KLM in cargo to Amsterdam but have to go via
> Frankfurt which means an extra flight and extra complication.
> Unfortunately you can't fly a rabbit directly from Dubai to Holland...
> so the closest is Dusseldorf, Germany and then a not-too-long train
> journey). They can also travel in the cabin with you with Finnair
> (the only airline that allows this). They run seasonal flights from Dubai
> starting in Sep/Oct. You would have to book the flight to Amsterdam
> and fly via Helsinki, but I think it's worth it to be able to
> reassure and check up on your rabbit during the flight. Flying with Finnair
> requires a microchip and a health certificate (Emirates Cargo do not
> require a microchip - so both options have pros and cons).
>
> For the next leg of the journey from Holland to England, the the best
> route is with the ferry from Hoek Van Holland to Harwich with the
> Stena Line ferry. Absolutely no paperwork is required for this leg of
> the journey - as it is travelling within the EU which has no travel
> restrictions at all for a rabbit!
>
> So there you have it - a relatively simple and inexpensive way to
> bring a pet rabbit back from Dubai! It's unfortunate that DKC put
> their prices so high that people get scared into leaving their pets
> behind! But with a little research, it _is_ possible to bypass these
> sorts of fees.

Hope this helps Fluffy! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. Good luck!
ZiggyCo is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2011, 11:59 am
  #19  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
ZiggyCo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

By the way, just to add to my last post, rabbits aren't included in the pet passport scheme, so I imagine the requirements to fly a rabbit from Muscat to Europe would be the same as from Dubai to Europe.
ZiggyCo is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:06 am
  #20  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,554
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Originally Posted by ZiggyCo View Post
Hi FluffyBee,

I am actually the one who asked the question about rabbit travel from Dubai on the pet travel website link that ScottMac sent you.

After whole load of pressure from certain people telling me that the best thing for a rabbit would be to re-home her in Dubai and not put her through the stress of travel, I actually did just that. I found a lovely couple with another rabbit who couldn't have been more perfect. However, I just felt so bad leaving her there and she looked so mad when I left! I was told she stamped her feet and huffed and puffed that whole first night away and then pretty much camped out behind their washing machine and growled at everyone for the rest of her week-long trial period which is all extremely uncharacteristic of her.

I think the problem is that people tend to underestimate the intelligence or rabbits - they may not do tricks on command like a dog but my bun knows exactly who I am and (I think) also enjoys spending time with me as opposed to other people. She also trusts that I will protect her - she runs to me for comfort after the vet finishes clipping her toe nails and jumps for joy whenever I come back after being out of the country for long periods.

Before I took her to her trial new home I had her checked out by the vet who told me she would have been absolutely fine to fly. Also, the husband of the girl adopting her was also a vet and also said it's completely fine for a rabbit to fly. On the hour-long car journey there she was fine too, having a wash, eating some hay etc... So, in short, I weighed up the options and decided to take her back to England with me after all. I'm going in September so fingers crossed everything will work out ok!

Rabbit live up to the age of 14, so I was also really worried about what would happen when the lovely new owners that I found her left (everyone's an expat in Dubai! lol). I was soo worried she'd end up as snake food or be put down in an animal shelter that ran out of space.

So anyway, sorry for the extremely long post, but here is a little info that I gathered during an extremely intense week of bunny travel research! lol I'm just copying and pasting below an email that I sent to Homely Petz in Dubai last week about the different travel options and paper work required (sorry about the weird formatting):

RABBIT TRAVEL TO THE UK AND EU (Different requirements):
>
I've literally been looking into this for a couple of years and have found that no
> one really knows much about transporting a rabbit as not many people
> seem to do it. Everyone gave me conflicting information and Dubai
> Kennels and Cattery even sent me a quote of Dh6,500 just for the
> transportation - no wonder no one does it! lol...
>
> Anyway, after a whole ton of additional last minute research and lots
> of telephone calls with DEFRA, European pet shipping companies, EU
> embassies, Vets in Germany and several different airlines... and a whole lot of
> checking and re-checking... it turns out the whole process of taking a
> rabbit back to Europe only costs about Dh800 if you organise it
> yourself - and requires no red tape other than a health certificate.
>
> If you transport a rabbit directly back to the UK, it will have to
> undergo a very costly six months quarantine. However, this can be
> easily and _legally_ avoided be travelling though Europe. (I was
> given
> the ok to do this by DEFRA and also found other people online who
> have
> done the same thing:
> http://www.bunspace.com:9000/groups/topic?tid=6448 [1] ).
>
> The only paperwork required for a rabbit to enter Germany or Holland
> from outside of the EU, is a health certificate from the UAE Ministry
> of Environment and Water (MEOW). (no vaccinations required and no
> microchip etc). I also thought about going through France but that
> requires certain vaccines that can kill a rabbit - so it's much
> better to go through Holland or Germany.
>
> As for the flight from Dubai, bunnies can travel with Emirates in cargo to Dusseldorf, Germany, which is just a couple of hours by train to the ferry station of Hoek Van Holland
> (They can also go with KLM in cargo to Amsterdam but have to go via
> Frankfurt which means an extra flight and extra complication.
> Unfortunately you can't fly a rabbit directly from Dubai to Holland...
> so the closest is Dusseldorf, Germany and then a not-too-long train
> journey). They can also travel in the cabin with you with Finnair
> (the only airline that allows this). They run seasonal flights from Dubai
> starting in Sep/Oct. You would have to book the flight to Amsterdam
> and fly via Helsinki, but I think it's worth it to be able to
> reassure and check up on your rabbit during the flight. Flying with Finnair
> requires a microchip and a health certificate (Emirates Cargo do not
> require a microchip - so both options have pros and cons).
>
> For the next leg of the journey from Holland to England, the the best
> route is with the ferry from Hoek Van Holland to Harwich with the
> Stena Line ferry. Absolutely no paperwork is required for this leg of
> the journey - as it is travelling within the EU which has no travel
> restrictions at all for a rabbit!
>
> So there you have it - a relatively simple and inexpensive way to
> bring a pet rabbit back from Dubai! It's unfortunate that DKC put
> their prices so high that people get scared into leaving their pets
> behind! But with a little research, it _is_ possible to bypass these
> sorts of fees.

Hope this helps Fluffy! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. Good luck!
That's it................ nominations for the "Post of the Year" award have now closed.......
The Dean is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2011, 5:25 am
  #21  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,870
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

The worlds gone f***ing mad....!
co durham boy is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:27 am
  #22  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,335
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
The worlds gone f***ing mad....!
I'm waiting for the hamster to die so we can go back.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:58 am
  #23  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,554
The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

I just love ZiggyCo's assumption that, after four posts in two hours on 15 May, then nothing since, FluffyBee will still be hanging around to read this..........
The Dean is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2011, 11:03 am
  #24  
Forum Regular
 
sherri's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai ex Edinburgh
Posts: 279
sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
I'm waiting for the hamster to die so we can go back.


Anyway, Karma given to ZiggyCo - Great post.
sherri is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2011, 6:15 pm
  #25  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,870
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Can anyone tell me where i can get my Gerbil an Emirates I.D card , also my Cockatoo needs an N.O.C as he's leaving Dubai Zoo for Al Ain Zoo as he had trouble with his sponsor the Macaw , any replies welcome...!
co durham boy is offline  
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 2:13 pm
  #26  
Hit 16's
 
Bahtatboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Posts: 13,118
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
Can anyone tell me where i can get my Gerbil an Emirates I.D card , also my Cockatoo needs an N.O.C as he's leaving Dubai Zoo for Al Ain Zoo as he had trouble with his sponsor the Macaw , any replies welcome...!
Who's a pretty boy then?
Bahtatboy is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2011, 12:16 pm
  #27  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
ZiggyCo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Keep them coming! lol
ZiggyCo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service