Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Old May 15th 2011, 6:22 am
Just Joined

FluffyBee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Hello all

I have just joined today after finding this forum on Google

Apologies if its been asked a million times, but I'm hoping you can help.

I live and work in Muscat and will be here until November 2012. I have a rabbit (Fluffy - bought here in Muscat) who lives in the house with me.

Obviously I would like to Fluffy back to the UK when I leave. He is fit and healthy and has had his injections etc from the vet. The only problem is that I understand Oman are NOT in the pet passport scheme.

I was told by my British vet here in Oman that the best option for me is to drive across to Dubai and fly myself and Fluffy home from there - after obtaining the relevant clearance of course.

Now, my question is, is this possible? Has anyone done it? Can anyone give me advice (based on their experience) of how this is done?

Sorry this was so long winded and thank you for any help you can give.

FB
Old May 15th 2011, 7:28 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rabbit/Pet Passport Question

Wow...someone talking about taking a "real" rabbit through customs !

There is a post below on the subject matter:

http://www.pettravel.com/forum/showt...-UK-or-Germany
Old May 15th 2011, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks for attaching the link. Its very informative of him, but not very helpful.

I have been informed by my vet in Muscat that I can take Fluff across the border as the UAE and UK have a pet passport agreement in place and there will be a vet who will sign my documents to enable me to take Fluff back to the UK without the need for quarantine.

Maybe my vet was misinformed..... or maybe I just need to phone a vet in the UAE and have a chat with them

Thank you anyway for taking the time to reply

FB
Old May 15th 2011, 7:51 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Why on earth would anyone want to put a little bunny through the horrific ordeal of long distance travel. If his/her heart lasts the experience, I would be very surprised. Just find a home for it here and get yourself another one in the UK, if you really must. On a more serious note, can I take my pet hamsters with me as hand luggage?
Old May 15th 2011, 7:59 am
Just Joined

What do you mean just get another one?? Would you say that about a dog, a cat?? I hope you don't have any pets as they're going to be very disappointed when you up and leave them!

Fluffy has been with me since I've been in Oman.... he follows me everywhere in my villa and jumps up on the sofa to sit beside me every night.... you think the right thing to do is to just abandon him and go home, leaving him wondering where the hell I've gone?

My mum always said that if you can''t say something nice, then don't say anything and as I do not appreciate you rubbish and coldhearted comment, this statement definitely applies to you!
Old May 15th 2011, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't he be better off in a Pie ?
Old May 15th 2011, 8:12 am
Just Joined

I assumed this might be friendly place to chat and obtain serious answers to questions, but I can see now that there seem to be too many complete idiots (co durham boy is the case in point) on here who seem to think they're amusing and rather than being helpful, just seem to enjoy giving abusive answers....Which is a shame, but live and learn I suppose.
Old May 15th 2011, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyBee
I assumed this might be friendly place to chat and obtain serious answers to questions, but I can see now that there seem to be too many complete idiots (co durham boy is the case in point) on here who seem to think they're amusing and rather than being helpful, just seem to enjoy giving abusive answers....Which is a shame, but live and learn I suppose.
Sorry , maybe a Stew then ?
Old May 15th 2011, 9:08 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

How old it is? Having in mind their short lifespan it may become not an issue by Nov 2012.
Old May 15th 2011, 9:19 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I don't think she quite got our sense of humour
Old May 15th 2011, 9:20 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Where's your sense of humour? You got what you asked for--some sound advice. Ignore Lionheart (that's what we do most of the time), and anybody else (me included) if you don't like what we say. But to be honest, anybody who posts on line with a name like Fluffybee about transporting a pet rabbit 4,000 miles is pretty lucky if s/he gets ANY serious replies, let alone about 50:50 serious:irreverent.

I hope it works out for you and your furry friend

Yours, Alex.
Old May 15th 2011, 9:31 am
Account Closed

weasel central is an unknown quantity at this point

you heartless bastard...goulash or casserole surely.

but anyhow read below..

Comforting Rabbit Stew with white wine

The secret to the intense flavour of this recipe is browning the rabbit pieces, and all the other ingredients that go into it. Caramelising everything provides a base to support the wine and the stock and gives you a wonderfully earthy round flavour.

Serves 2 (4 for a starter)

Ingredients

One rabbit, jointed – get your butcher to do this (if frozen, defrost fully)
2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
2 small onions, cut into quarters or 8 pearl onions, drained from a jar
1/2 chicken stock cube made up with 8 fluid ounces (1/2 pint) of water or the equivalent in fresh chicken stock
2 cured rashers/bacon cut into small pieces
1 glass of dry white wine
Olive oil and butter for frying
Salt and pepper

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Season the rabbit pieces with salt and pepper. Put a splash of olive oil and a knob of butter in a big frying pan. Heat until the butter is melted. Add the rabbit pieces and fry all over until they are as brown as you can get them without burning them. This is important for the final finish and flavour.
2. Take the pieces out and put them into an oven proof casserole or terracotta dish.
3. In the same pan, fry the onions until they are caramelised on all sides. Add them to the casserole.
4. In the same pan, fry the garlic until it is lightly browned. Add to the casserole.
5. Add the bacon pieces to the pan and brown them until the fat is crispy. Add to the casserole.
6. Make up the stock cube if you are not using fresh stock and add the stock to the casserole. Add the wine and stir.
7. Put the casserole in the oven and cook for 50-60 minutes until the rabbit is meltingly tender.
Cook's note
– If you want a thicker sauce, sprinkle the browned rabbit pieces with flour when you place them in the casserole. You will need to stir the casserole about 10 minutes after you put it in the oven.
– You can add a few potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks, into the stew after 30 minutes of cooking time. You will have less sauce if you do this and it is probably best not to add the flour to the rabbit pieces.
– This is very easy to reheat and the flavour is even more exciting the next day. Add a little more water, wine or stock if it needs it and reheat at 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4 for 15 minutes.
– If you have leftovers, strip the rabbit from the bones and use it to make a risotto.

Last edited by weasel central; May 15th 2011 at 9:35 am. Reason: more helpful advice
Old May 15th 2011, 9:57 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for attaching the link. Its very informative of him, but not very helpful.

I have been informed by my vet in Muscat that I can take Fluff across the border as the UAE and UK have a pet passport agreement in place and there will be a vet who will sign my documents to enable me to take Fluff back to the UK without the need for quarantine.

Maybe my vet was misinformed..... or maybe I just need to phone a vet in the UAE and have a chat with them

Thank you anyway for taking the time to reply

FB
The following searches give further information and also to your overseas vet...

Bringing pet rabbits to the UK from abroad:
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resourc...quarantine.htm

UK DEFRA on pet rabbits:
http://archive.defra.gov.uk/wildlife...ts/rabbits.htm

Latest advice on pet rabbits (31 January 2011):
http://archive.defra.gov.uk/wildlife...s-guidance.pdf
Old May 15th 2011, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

I have never taken my cat internationally, just from the US West Coast to the MidWest, was about 4ish hours. London to AD is like 7.5-8 hours I think.

Rabbits are cooped up for months and years in small cages in pet stores so a flight shouldn't be a big deal. Though you might want to look into overnight stopover somewhere inbetween to give the little fellow a break.

I am surprised one can't just fly from Oman, thought one would just need Vet's clean bill of health and required shots.
Old May 15th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Ask Kittycat1 or one of the other Dubai chicks on the bored about how they got their *ahem* rabbits into the country. No pet passports required.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.