Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another Qatar thread

Another Qatar thread

Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:44 am
Just Joined

redmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant future
Default Another Qatar thread

Hi all

Long time lurker here. I currently live in Australia and have been discussing an opportunity with an employer in Qatar. I am close to being made an offer, despite them saying 'tell us your salary expectations'. So I do not know what a good salary is. I basically don't know what rent, cars or food would cost. I have googled but don't really know if anything I am finding is a true testament to the costs. I am a UK educated Engineer with over 8 years experience.

My partner and I (no kids and we are not married) have been told that it may be difficult to obtain a visa for her. So this is one sticking point.

The other is the lifestyle. I have done a search on this forum and been on the other qatarliving (I think) website and it seems that most expats don't seem to like it. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not a pisshead or anything but do occassionaly like a drink (about once every 2 weeks). I used to do lots of diving and I love cycling. We both love the movies and eating out. Kind of a vanilla llife I suppose

I was wondering what tips people would have for

a) negotiating with my employer
b) what to expect
c) cost of living
d) do's and dont's
e) and anything that may be useful.

any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all
Default Re: Another Qatar thread

Originally Posted by redmania
Hi all

Long time lurker here. I currently live in Australia and have been discussing an opportunity with an employer in Qatar. I am close to being made an offer, despite them saying 'tell us your salary expectations'. So I do not know what a good salary is. I basically don't know what rent, cars or food would cost. I have googled but don't really know if anything I am finding is a true testament to the costs. I am a UK educated Engineer with over 8 years experience.

My partner and I (no kids and we are not married) have been told that it may be difficult to obtain a visa for her. So this is one sticking point.

The other is the lifestyle. I have done a search on this forum and been on the other qatarliving (I think) website and it seems that most expats don't seem to like it. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am not a pisshead or anything but do occassionaly like a drink (about once every 2 weeks). I used to do lots of diving and I love cycling. We both love the movies and eating out. Kind of a vanilla llife I suppose

b) what to expect
c) cost of living
d) do's and dont's

a 'do' would be to get married before moving to Qatar - and a 'don't' would be move to Qatar with your partner unless you're married.

I'll let other's comment on the rest but if you search this forum for Qatar you'll find answers to the rest of your questions.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redmania
Hi all

b) what to expect
c) cost of living
d) do's and dont's

First of all if you're not married then forget it , there's too much at stake to get caught here being unmarried . It's not like the U.A.E where it's pretty much ignored , it's a very closed shop here and i wouldn't recommend it , i know people who do it but that's their choice .

a) Negotiate a basic salary then add on's such as Housing , Flights , Medical , Annual Bonus , Schooling , transport .

b) Expect a dull city with a arrogant local population and a oppressive climate for 4 months of the year . On the plus side theres's great sporting facilities , and some decent bars and restaurants and it's a good hub for travelling.

c) The cost of living is high , expect to pay up to 3000 QAR for shopping , 300 QAR for internet , 300 QAR for T.V and if you want to go out and get drunk a pint of Stella Artois is currently retailing at around 48 QAR.

D) Only come here if your deal is right financially and you're looked after with sufficient allowances , Qatar is not Barbados , only have one mantra in the Gulf and that's ' take the money '.

e) Think long and hard about a switch of lifestyle , if the money is the driver then great , this place is not a lifestyle choice it's a vehicle to make money , it can be very restrictive and oppressive at times but on the whole you can still live a decent life as long as your being well compensated.

Try www.timeoutdoha.com and www.qatarhappening.com for a more rose tinted view on life in Qatar

Good Luck
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:41 am
Just Joined

redmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant futureredmania has a brilliant future

Thanks. Its interesting to see some of the comments and hopefully we can get enough information in order to make a well informed decision.