Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

R.A.K. to Dibba through Wadi Bih and across the mountains

R.A.K. to Dibba through Wadi Bih and across the mountains

Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:19 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default R.A.K. to Dibba through Wadi Bih and across the mountains

Hello you fine people.

Eid Mubarak to all...

Tomorrow thought I'd head for this drive from RAK to Dibba through the mountains and Wadi Bih. Anyone done this drive?

It is supposed to be stunning. I have the Omani car insurance etc so that'll be fine.

Any comments / things I should stop to see on the way etc? What is the drive like?

Those pesky clouds will hopefully have gone by then...!

Cheers,

Auto.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:34 am
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: R.A.K. to Dibba through Wadi Bih and across the mountains

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Hello you fine people.

Eid Mubarak to all...

Tomorrow thought I'd head for this drive from RAK to Dibba through the mountains and Wadi Bih. Anyone done this drive?

It is supposed to be stunning. I have the Omani car insurance etc so that'll be fine.

Any comments / things I should stop to see on the way etc? What is the drive like?

Cheers,

Auto.
Hi

Are you going on your own??

There are several peeps on here that have been off road, they can maybe some advice! Have Fun & be careful.

RT
Old Jan 9th 2006, 5:43 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rumble Tumble
Hi

Are you going on your own??

There are several peeps on here that have been off road, they can maybe some advice! Have Fun & be careful.

RT
Hi RT,

Just me and the missus in my 1962 Hillman Imp..... err sorry I mean 2004 Wrangler

According to Offroad Explorer it's quite a well used track and not too bad. Not really crossing the empty quarter in terms of difficulty - however - should I be concerned and not attempt this in only one car?

Cheers,

Auto.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:29 am
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Hi RT,

Just me and the missus in my 1962 Hillman Imp..... err sorry I mean 2004 Wrangler

According to Offroad Explorer it's quite a well used track and not too bad. Not really crossing the empty quarter in terms of difficulty - however - should I be concerned and not attempt this in only one car?

Cheers,

Auto.
Hillman Imp pmsl, now that i'd love to see.

To be honest im not sure but give somebody your route map and a time you should call them by. Do mobiles work out there....is that a dumb ???

Truth Speak would be a good one to ask. Where is everyone when you need them .
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:17 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Hi RT,

Cheers,

Auto.

Hubby is away for several days in the desert and if Im not mistaken he is camping on the empty quater... again, but it is advised to take an extra car.... for towing (in case you break down) and sharing the load!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:30 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Hello you fine people.

Eid Mubarak to all...

Cheers,

Auto.

Eid Mubarak!

I thought you was going to Chadi Muscat.

I am leaving tmrw morning, to muscat and then to Jebel Akhder.

Wadi Bih isn't an interesting trip, being there several times.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:26 am
Powered by cows

Originally Posted by CasaNova
Eid Mubarak!

I thought you was going to Chadi Muscat.

I am leaving tmrw morning, to muscat and then to Jebel Akhder.

Wadi Bih isn't an interesting trip, being there several times.
I am still going to the Chedi on Thurs - Saturday. Just fancied another trip before then!

Wadi Bih not interesting... looks good in a lot of the guide books I've seen. I know it's not particularliy off road, but the views, mountains and scenary are pretty spectacular no?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

trailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant future

I am still going to the Chedi on Thurs - Saturday. Just fancied another trip before then!

Wadi Bih not interesting... looks good in a lot of the guide books I've seen. I know it's not particularliy off road, but the views, mountains and scenary are pretty spectacular no?
We drove Wadi Beh with friends about 2 or 3 years ago. The scenery is great for this part of the world and I would recommend it as an excellent day trip. We were in a 4x4 but there were people in cars; although I wouldn't want to do it in a car myself. Shortly after we went through I heard Oman had closed part of it - there was no official border post, you just drove through part of Oman and then out of it. However by now it may well be open again.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 3:15 pm