Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Quick question about claiming VAT from the EU

Quick question about claiming VAT from the EU

Old May 6th 2008, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all
Default Quick question about claiming VAT from the EU

I have the 'tax free shopping' thing pretty much understood, and even get why getting your 21% VAT back works out as 17.36% off the sale price.
Now, if I make a purchase in one EU country, travel to another EU country, then home to Dubai - at which airport do I claim my VAT? Head says port of exit from the EU, heart says head is always wrong.
Waddya think?
CH
Old May 6th 2008, 7:59 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question about claiming VAT from the EU

I would say you claim when you exit the country where you made the purchase.
Old May 6th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slingshot
I would say you claim when you exit the country where you made the purchase.
agreed, as it is VAT from that country that you are claiming the refund from.
Old May 7th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

You can only reclaim VAT when you leave the EU, between EU countries there is an open boarders policy which means you can only reclaim when you leave the EU. You also have to show physically the goods you are exporting to the customs at the departing airport, together with the correct forms from the retailer (back of a fag packet invoice doesnt work)

Here is the UK Customs forms link with some FAQ
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/consumers-visitors.htm
Old May 7th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
You can only reclaim VAT when you leave the EU, between EU countries there is an open boarders policy which means you can only reclaim when you leave the EU. You also have to show physically the goods you are exporting to the customs at the departing airport, together with the correct forms from the retailer (back of a fag packet invoice doesnt work)

Here is the UK Customs forms link with some FAQ
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/consumers-visitors.htm
I would imagine that country 2 will be extremely reluctant to refund VAT from country 1, so if that is the case then the plan has to be to fly straight out from the country of purchase.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Thanks for the thoughts - we'll see how it goes!
CH