British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Questions on moving to Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/questions-moving-dubai-441367/)

meonline Apr 11th 2007 12:47 pm

Questions on moving to Dubai

Hi, just found this website on google. Great site. I have relatives living in Dubai, and recently visited them, and absolutelt loved Dubai. I would like to be able to work in Dubai and move there as soon as I can.

Questions I have are as follows:
1. Does one need to be well educated to get a decent job (I have two degrees- am I making a good start) or does relevant experience count more?
2. What are the growth areas in the Dubai labour market?
3. Does one need to be physically based in Dubai to get a job, or can this be done via the internet while I work in the UK?
4. How hard is it to get a job in Dubai?
5. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Blue Cat Apr 11th 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Questions on moving to Dubai

Originally Posted by meonline (Post 4626308)
Hi, just found this website on google. Great site. I have relatives living in Dubai, and recently visited them, and absolutelt loved Dubai. I would like to be able to work in Dubai and move there as soon as I can.

1. Does one need to be well educated to get a decent job (I have two degrees- am I making a good start) or does relevant experience count more?
3. Does one need to be physically based in Dubai to get a job, or can this be done via the internet while I work in the UK?
5. Is it worth it?

Thanks

we like the scots so we shall help!!! LOL what field of work are you in??

arbroath_abroad Apr 11th 2007 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by meonline (Post 4626308)

5. Is it worth it?

Thanks

1. Yes. 2 degrees is abfab, but experience also is required. A blend of both would be great

2. Construction, Construction and Construction

3. Na you can get one from the UK, I did (well i had to come for interviews)

4. Simple. I came for a week and set myswelf up with 5 interviews. Got offered 3 jobs, took 1 (obviously)

5. Absolutely, and if it doesnt work out for you, go back. No regrets

Good luck

meonline Apr 11th 2007 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4626317)
we like the scots so we shall help!!! LOL what field of work are you in??

Hello Geordie Armani,

I have over 5 years work experience in addition to my two degrees. I have worked in a contact centre, small business, economic development, and currently work in business research.

Blue Cat Apr 11th 2007 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by meonline (Post 4626580)
Hello Geordie Armani,

I have over 5 years work experience in addition to my two degrees. I have worked in a contact centre, small business, economic development, and currently work in business research.

check the wiki at top of page and send cv's off. WHO have you worked for, company names?