Reload this Page >

questions to ask potential employers

questions to ask potential employers

Old Dec 14th 2007, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

di_hb is on a distinguished road
Default questions to ask potential employers

Hi
I am visiting Bahrain in Jan to determine conditions of employment for a potential job.
I would like to know what questions I should be asking the employer when working in the Middle East.
Should I ask for a work contract? What should be covered in the contract?
What should I be careful of?
Any information will be useful
Many thanks
D
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: questions to ask potential employers

Originally Posted by di_hb
Hi
I am visiting Bahrain in Jan to determine conditions of employment for a potential job.
I would like to know what questions I should be asking the employer when working in the Middle East.
Should I ask for a work contract? What should be covered in the contract?
What should I be careful of?
Any information will be useful
Many thanks
D
If you already have the JD and know what the job entails, then you can be pretty direct when negotiating the contract - basically make sure that whatever is promised/advised verbally is provided in writing. Make notes of your discussions (or take a small recording device )

Just checked my contract.......it should typically include:
  • Your salary break-up (details of basic, housing, school, utilities, club, car, exchange loss component, medical, flights, gratuity....)
  • Your probationary period (typically 6 months)
  • Notice period (typically no notice during the first 6 months, thereafter by mutual agreement - between 1 and 3 months)
  • Leave enititlement (specify whether calendar or working days)- Annual, sick....etc (most of the other types of leave are standard and will be covered in their HR policy)

Good Luck....
Old Dec 24th 2007, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieGirl
If you already have the JD and know what the job entails, then you can be pretty direct when negotiating the contract - basically make sure that whatever is promised/advised verbally is provided in writing. Make notes of your discussions (or take a small recording device )

Just checked my contract.......it should typically include:
  • Your salary break-up (details of basic, housing, school, utilities, club, car, exchange loss component, medical, flights, gratuity....)
  • Your probationary period (typically 6 months)
  • Notice period (typically no notice during the first 6 months, thereafter by mutual agreement - between 1 and 3 months)
  • Leave enititlement (specify whether calendar or working days)- Annual, sick....etc (most of the other types of leave are standard and will be covered in their HR policy)

Good Luck....

Thank you.......

You're welcome
Old Dec 24th 2007, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

di_hb is on a distinguished road

Thanks Indiegirl
Have a wonderful Xmas and New Year