Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A question to the single men / women here.....

A question to the single men / women here.....

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default A question to the single men / women here.....

If you don't have a family or partner here, what do you find to do with yourselves that doesn't cost money? I had a chat with another board member the other day and we agreed that if you're not loaded down with friends or family, there is very little here to entertain you unless you spend out. Are we right or are we missing out on something?

When I was in Kuwait there was loads to do, historical sites to visit plus obviously the conflict damage sites to visit, the same with Oman (not conflict but historical). Bahrain seemed much the same as here, bars and restaurants were about all on offer. You can only be a mall rat for so long and I, AS YET, don't see what there is here that would be interesting to see or do. I've no doubt there is things but I haven't discovered them yet.

This isnt an invitation to attack me verbally!!! Some of you board members have sharp tongues!!!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question to the single men / women here.....

There quite a few cultural things to do at little cost. Dubai Museum costs around Dhs3 to enter and some other emirates have their own too. There are masses of art galleries that you can go to for free. The Gold & Diamond Park has its own little museum that is free. There are still a number of free public beaches.

There are also many interesting individual shops, but you have to go to places others than the main malls. Have you ever been to the Antiques Museum in Al Quoz? There are lots of interesting shops in the little malls on the Beach Road and all around Bur Dubai and Karama. Global Village costs just Dhs 10 and there is plenty to amuse you there for a few hours.

The library at MoE is free and there are numerous things you could do at little cost. You just have to use your imagination and not expect entertainment on a plate. This can be a very expensive city, but only if you choose that route. Live as you would anywhere else and you needn't spend that much on entertaining yourself.

I'm not sure why this was aimed only at single people as the same applies to married folk too.
-
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:36 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

shouldn't it be...a question for...
anyway...not sure what you mean...do single people do different things from married ones...I don't know many of either category that would spend most of their free time exploring historical sites...
but you could go into the desert, the first few years we were here, we went into the desert with friends almost every weekend, it's quite good fun learning to drive in the sand and the desert is stunning...
we also went and drove to all the other Emirates, just to know what they were like...
the beach is free...the one behind the Sagaworld building on Beachroad is very nice, loads of young and single people there, even the odd married couple...but seriously, there is loads going on for free, football, volleyball...same people every week most of them very friendly and up for a chat...lots of different nationalities
Deira, along the Creek...always a good place to wander around, loads to see, a few cheap roadside restaurants where you can sit outside and have a juice or a coffee..
The Bastakya area...historical in a way, but over the last few years completely renovated/restored, but still nice, with some nice galleries and restaurants...Bastakya Art Cafe was one of my fav places, but not been there for a while so no idea if it's still the same..
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

By aiming at a single person I simply meant that when you are with a partner or family you have each other as company to do things like lie on a beach all day, chatting etc. If youre alone then you have to rely on trying to find someone who does want to speak to you because sun bathing becomes boring very quickly (to me) when no one to keep you company. We must have all encountered some nationalities, including our own sometimes, that don't want to know. I will take a look in the older parts for sure and the museums would be of interest (probably not the art galleries though but thanks).
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:09 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

From your Avatar, it appears you ride a bike; a motorised version. Have you visited the bike dealers and met up with some of the riders? I ride a Harley and most of my friends are also Harley owners, it's about having something in common. Cost nothing to visit a dealership and browse around until you strike up a conversation with another biker.

Or go all out and buy a Harley; it's not cheap but it will instantly introduce you to hundreds of other HOG members in the UAE and provide access to over a million members across the world.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, Im a biker. I have a 2008 Hayabusa back in the UK and until that is sold I wont be investing in another BUT may take a look around the dealerships here, why not!! You gotta be bullet proof to ride out here, some of the driving skills, or lack of should I say, would put me right off!!!
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
By aiming at a single person I simply meant that when you are with a partner or family you have each other as company to do things like lie on a beach all day, chatting etc. If youre alone then you have to rely on trying to find someone who does want to speak to you because sun bathing becomes boring very quickly (to me) when no one to keep you company. We must have all encountered some nationalities, including our own sometimes, that don't want to know. I will take a look in the older parts for sure and the museums would be of interest (probably not the art galleries though but thanks).
i'm more than happy sunbathing/swimming on my own as long as i've got a book and some music...

anyway, guess you need to get out and meet people on a social level and then you can go off and do the cheapo chilling out thing once you make some good friends...i reckon it'd be the same anywhere you live, not just here...

MM, xx
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:13 am
Once a blue Always a blue

Tiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of lightTiger989 is a glorious beacon of light

As any other country offers there is alot of things that can be done generally in UAE. Its all down to personal reference and where you as a person can interact with the rest of the population. Making friends here is easy. There is a huge percentage of expats. Going out, well there is alot of things happening, for example on the 4th of January Burj Dubai opening. You also got Ski Dubai if you want to spend some money. There is all types of sports available where it really doesn't cost that much. There is exploring other parts of the UAE, simply fuel up and drive. What do you usually do back in England with out your friends and family can be done here...
Be creative and go out and enjoy
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:21 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Im a biker. I have a 2008 Hayabusa back in the UK and until that is sold I wont be investing in another BUT may take a look around the dealerships here, why not!! You gotta be bullet proof to ride out here, some of the driving skills, or lack of should I say, would put me right off!!!
Why not rent a Buell (while they still exist) for the weekend at under 800Dhs all in and join the Friday morning ride. Will at least introduce you to many other bikers and may open the door for some friendships.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a family or partner here, what do you find to do with yourselves that doesn't cost money? I had a chat with another board member the other day and we agreed that if you're not loaded down with friends or family, there is very little here to entertain you unless you spend out. Are we right or are we missing out on something?

When I was in Kuwait there was loads to do, historical sites to visit plus obviously the conflict damage sites to visit, the same with Oman (not conflict but historical). Bahrain seemed much the same as here, bars and restaurants were about all on offer. You can only be a mall rat for so long and I, AS YET, don't see what there is here that would be interesting to see or do. I've no doubt there is things but I haven't discovered them yet.

This isnt an invitation to attack me verbally!!! Some of you board members have sharp tongues!!!
If you are a fan of historical sites, you may like to consider joining the Dubai Natural History group - the website is a bit pants:

http://www.enhg.org/enhg.HTM

but they do organize some very interesting field trips - fossil sites, neolithic settlements, abandoned villages etc.

Friendly bunch of people - although not a vast amount of singles....
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Shat Fink will become famous soon enough

I'd say hobbies are the thing here. I've lived here for about 6 years, unmarried, generally single, came here knowing no one etc but do loads of stuff that doesnt cost money and have met loads of people doing it.

As with any hobby you've got to find something you like and there are usually some start up costs but after that they are more or less free.

Biking is a good one, why not get a trail bike and explore the mountains and desert if you dont fancy the roads? This is one of the few countries where you can ride / drive pretty much anywhere and it has some pretty stunning terrain.

UAE is same as most places really, you can spend money doing city things / laid on entertainment or make your own with whats around you for free.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

You must have missed out on Bahrain - for such a tiny island, it even has a UNESCO World Heritage Site here (Bahrain Fort), and there are also multiple burial mounds, remains of ancient villages, etc.

Surely Dubai must have some of that sort of stuff? There used to be quite a bit in that 'Dubai Explorer' guidebook, in the section headed "Exploring", funny enough. Is that still published?

If not, you could take days to wander around and along all the alleyways etc in the Bastakiya area down by the museum.

Example - the fishing museum is there (I bet a lot of The Bored members didn't even know there was one).

Get out in Bur Dubai on foot - plenty to occupy you for days on end.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

find a hobby that isnt very expensive.
Diving was quite good value out there
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Kayaking, Diving, Off-Road Driving (assuming you have a suitable car), Kite surfing, Squash, the left hand...
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 6:58 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Horse riding, golf, camel racing, shagging, 5-a-side footy at Safa Park...the list is endless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.