British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/question-re-owning-car-when-residence-visa-cancelled-729734/)

bedarwen Aug 23rd 2011 3:57 pm

Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled

Can anyone give advice pls:

Was working in UAE, left the job but the company agreed I could keep my residence visa. Went on vacation - company cancelled visa but of course it's not cancelled in my passport. Have to come back to UAE after Ramadan to look for new job.

I have a UK passport so can stay for 30 days on visit visa, unless problems to re-enter. Already have advice on checking I'm not registered as an absconder before coming back.

My question is: I own a car and wondering what happens about this? It is registered and insured in my name and I have a UAE driving licence.

Can anyone tell me if it is legal for me to keep and drive my car without a residence visa?

I know it's ok to drive a private car with a UAE licence, but not sure if I can legally own the car to drive or if I need to transfer ownership to a willing friend.

Thanks for any advice.

paca Aug 23rd 2011 4:11 pm

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled

Check your insurances clauses to make sure it remains valid given your status change

Patsy Stoned Aug 23rd 2011 4:25 pm

You must have a residence visa to own a car..if anything happens before you get a new job your insurance will be invalid.

Meow Aug 24th 2011 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9577378)
You must have a residence visa to own a car..if anything happens before you get a new job your insurance will be invalid.

Correct. In addition, a UAE Driving licence is only valid in conjunction with a current residency visa.

zamboooka Aug 24th 2011 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by bedarwen (Post 9577313)
Can anyone give advice pls:

Was working in UAE, left the job but the company agreed I could keep my residence visa. Went on vacation - company cancelled visa but of course it's not cancelled in my passport. Have to come back to UAE after Ramadan to look for new job.

I have a UK passport so can stay for 30 days on visit visa, unless problems to re-enter. Already have advice on checking I'm not registered as an absconder before coming back.

My question is: I own a car and wondering what happens about this? It is registered and insured in my name and I have a UAE driving licence.

Can anyone tell me if it is legal for me to keep and drive my car without a residence visa?

I know it's ok to drive a private car with a UAE licence, but not sure if I can legally own the car to drive or if I need to transfer ownership to a willing friend.

Thanks for any advice.

your ex employer sucks!

bedarwen Aug 31st 2011 8:02 am

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 9579124)
your ex employer sucks!

yeah, too right.

thanks for the replies. seems there is still uncertainty about whether a UAE driving licence is invalidated with the cancellation of the visa.I found this on another forum, which refers to a court case in 2009. I can't find any other information so far... anyone know any more than this?

http://www.desertspeak.com/viewtopic.php?t=2867

bedarwen Aug 31st 2011 8:12 am

Here is the original article from Gulf News - dated January 2009, so possible new changes, but I can't find anything.

The Dean Aug 31st 2011 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by bedarwen (Post 9591913)
yeah, too right.

thanks for the replies. seems there is still uncertainty about whether a UAE driving licence is invalidated with the cancellation of the visa.I found this on another forum, which refers to a court case in 2009. I can't find any other information so far... anyone know any more than this?

Actually, in my experience, if Meow and Patsy agree on something, it's almost certainly true...............

Patsy Stoned Sep 1st 2011 3:25 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9592560)
Actually, in my experience, if Meow and Patsy agree on something, it's almost certainly true...............

:D

Patsy Stoned Sep 1st 2011 3:52 am

Originally Posted by bedarwen (Post 9591913)
yeah, too right.

This is from http://www.rta.ae/wpsv5/links/la/faq/index.html ( let google be your friend!!!) ;)

What are the documents required for renewing a Driving License?

If you are a Dubai resident and/or UAE national holding a passport issued in Dubai, you will need to have:

1. previously been issued with a Dubai driver's license within the last 20 years.

2. a Valid Residence Visa (except UAE Passport holders)

3. passed an Eye Test (the test results should be uploaded online from the optician)

My residency visa/commercial license is expired. Can I transact with the RTA?

You must have a valid visa/commercial license when applying for an RTA service. However you can pay your fines. Commercial companies can also renew their vehicles.

bedarwen Sep 2nd 2011 12:12 am

Thanks again for your help and advice.

I have already googled this issue extensively, which is how I found the news item regarding what is referred to as a landmark ruling regarding the apparent validity of a driving licence after a visa is cancelled.

I greatly appreciate help and pointers to articles and any advice, but this issue is not regarding issuing or renewing a driving licence. Perhaps the time has come to consult a lawyer - although in the past I've had conflicting information from different lawyers about the same thing, seems the laws are not clear to any one (not sure why that surprises me!).

Meow Sep 4th 2011 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9592560)

It is. I answer these types of questions all the time and check with the relevant government departments to keep up to date.

It's very simple. If you don't have a valid residency visa, then your UAE driving licence is not valid.

busybee2 Sep 4th 2011 4:21 pm

yep i agree everything boils down to residency visa, if you dont have one then you cannot have an id card, you cannot have a sim card, you cannot have a drivers licence, you cannot have insurance, you cannot have a rental contract, you cannot have utilities etc etc.

Patsy Stoned Sep 4th 2011 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9599972)
yep i agree everything boils down to residency visa, if you dont have one then you cannot have an id card, you cannot have a sim card, you cannot have a drivers licence, you cannot have insurance, you cannot have a rental contract, you cannot have utilities etc etc.

Darling, you can have a sim card! you just go to etisalat and show your passport ..you can even pick 1 up at the airport! :)

busybee2 Sep 4th 2011 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9600062)
Darling, you can have a sim card! you just go to etisalat and show your passport ..you can even pick 1 up at the airport! :)

ok i will elaborate you can get a visitors sim card which is valid for 90 days i think, but you cannot have a normal sim card for wasel etc until you have a visa or show drivers licence etc etc.

Patsy Stoned Sep 5th 2011 4:21 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9600190)
ok i will elaborate you can get a visitors sim card which is valid for 90 days i think, but you cannot have a normal sim card for wasel etc until you have a visa or show drivers licence etc etc.

Yes you can darling, if you are getting a pay as you go sim then you only need to show your passport. A friend of mine did it only last week :D

busybee2 Sep 5th 2011 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9600807)
Yes you can darling, if you are getting a pay as you go sim then you only need to show your passport. A friend of mine did it only last week :D

well down in ab dabs they require to look at the visa, otherwise you need to get the visitors one.

Oyibopeppeh Sep 5th 2011 5:58 am

I must have bought at least 3 SIM cards from corner shop sellers and never once been asked for any ID

Patsy Stoned Sep 5th 2011 6:23 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9600929)
well down in ab dabs they require to look at the visa, otherwise you need to get the visitors one.

then come up to Dubai if you ever need 1 for a friend :D

busybee2 Sep 5th 2011 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9600970)
then come up to Dubai if you ever need 1 for a friend :D

ok will do:thumbup:

busybee2 Sep 5th 2011 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9600944)
I must have bought at least 3 SIM cards from corner shop sellers and never once been asked for any ID

well i hope that they have registered them properly with etislat or whatever. i had a sim card in my name for my oldest boy, i renewed in the etislat next to spinneys first year, and the following year i renewed it again in mafraq but was told that i was firstly a guy 10 years younger, who came from africa and my name was something really odd, cant remember now. to cut to the chase i had a terrible time trying to get the name changed, even the dates of my application and this "african guy" were like 3 weeks apart. i had to go to the 13th floor and sign a piece of paper to say that i take responsibility for that number etc...... as i wanted to keep the same number. only in abu dhabi.

Yoohoo Sep 6th 2011 1:54 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9601742)
well i hope that they have registered them properly with etislat or whatever. i had a sim card in my name for my oldest boy, i renewed in the etislat next to spinneys first year, and the following year i renewed it again in mafraq but was told that i was firstly a guy 10 years younger, who came from africa and my name was something really odd, cant remember now. to cut to the chase i had a terrible time trying to get the name changed, even the dates of my application and this "african guy" were like 3 weeks apart. i had to go to the 13th floor and sign a piece of paper to say that i take responsibility for that number etc...... as i wanted to keep the same number. only in abu dhabi.

We got our SIMs in AD from an Etisalat booth three years ago without residence visas - I remember because it was our first brush with anything vaguely resembling bureaucracy and it was a true nightmare. The woman who created the accounts didn't spell any one of our names correctly, none of which are longer than six letters even though the passports were right in front of her.

Patsy Stoned Sep 6th 2011 3:55 am

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9601742)

I got a text a few weeks ago from etisalat telling me that I don't need to renew my sim until 2023 :D..Their gift to some people for ramadan apparently!!

busybee2 Sep 6th 2011 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9602620)
I got a text a few weeks ago from etisalat telling me that I don't need to renew my sim until 2023 :D..Their gift to some people for ramadan apparently!!

yeh i looked at my phone when i got back from hols and it said 2023 or something thought thats a little odd, then i checked and as long as you use it once in the next 3 months etc then you dont have to renew. but if you think about it it cost 100 to start with way back when, then 75 to renew each and then you got 25 free credit etc, so over the 15 years that i have had one i have paid them an awful lot for a pay as you go... unlike if you get a contract one then you dont pay to renew.

The Dean Sep 6th 2011 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9602620)

Shhhhh! That special offer is supposed to be for Muslims only................

jebelaligardener Sep 10th 2011 12:10 pm

Ok - back to the original topic. I am in a similar position.

Currently on visit visa, car needs renewing in 2 weeks. In the meantime I need to do a visa run by 15 Sept as we will only start processing my employment visa next week.

Looks like I should do the visa extension via DNRD or fly out, rather than drive.

Does anyone know if the 10 day grace period on visit visa is true?

bedarwen Sep 11th 2011 6:26 pm

Maybe you can get a friend drive you? Or do a cheesy tourist bus trip!

Otherwise, you can be late with the car registration for not that much of a fine, I think - not sure which emirate you're in, but that part seems easy to check.

jebelaligardener Sep 11th 2011 6:32 pm

I phoned RTA in Dubai today who confirmed I CAN drive with my UAE licence in my own car whilst on a visit visa. The vehicle registration (expires in a few weeks) cannot be renewed until I get my new residence visa.

The only dilemma now is whether to drive a visa run, or the much shorter drive to extend the visa at DNRD.

Next challenge will be reregistering the car which is registered in Dubai when I end up on a Fujairah visa. THEN renewing my driving licence in December - again issued in Dubai but different emirate when I renew. I knew there was a reason I love living in the Emirates - I like challenges :D

Oyibopeppeh Sep 11th 2011 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by jebelaligardener (Post 9614235)
I love living in the Emirates - I like challenges :D

Last week Etishaite agreed to replace my faulty iPhone. It took another 4 hours this afternoon to actually get the damn thing exchanged.
They just love the bullshit here!

jebelaligardener Sep 11th 2011 6:43 pm

1996-99 Nigeria; 2000 Gabon; 2001 Equatorial Guinea; 2002 Cameroon; 2003-05 Nigeria; 2006 UK; 2007-08 Nigeria; 2009-10 Libya; 2010 UAE

Looks like you have been to Nigeria about as much as me! I was there as an expat brat from about 9-17yrs old (1980-1990's). That must be where I get the 'challenges' bit from. It also helped reduce my expectation of customer service and time-keeping. Having learned to drive in Lagos meant Sheikh Zayed Road was a doddle when I got to Dubai :ohmy:

Oyibopeppeh Sep 11th 2011 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by jebelaligardener (Post 9614245)
1996-99 Nigeria; 2000 Gabon; 2001 Equatorial Guinea; 2002 Cameroon; 2003-05 Nigeria; 2006 UK; 2007-08 Nigeria; 2009-10 Libya; 2010 UAE

Looks like you have been to Nigeria about as much as me! I was there as an expat brat from about 9-17yrs old (1980-1990's). That must be where I get the 'challenges' bit from. It also helped reduce my expectation of customer service and time-keeping. Having learned to drive in Lagos meant Sheikh Zayed Road was a doddle when I got to Dubai :ohmy:

Imagine trying to get that thing changed in Lagos "Oga, ah beg bring money-O" Small mercies for no NEPA tho!

bedarwen Sep 11th 2011 9:52 pm

I phoned RTA in Dubai today who confirmed I CAN drive with my UAE licence in my own car whilst on a visit visa. The vehicle registration (expires in a few weeks) cannot be renewed until I get my new residence visa.
jebelaligardener - Thanks for confirming this...makes life a whole lot easier!