British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/question-re-owning-car-when-residence-visa-cancelled-729734/)

bedarwen Aug 23rd 2011 4:57 pm

Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 
Can anyone give advice pls:

Was working in UAE, left the job but the company agreed I could keep my residence visa. Went on vacation - company cancelled visa but of course it's not cancelled in my passport. Have to come back to UAE after Ramadan to look for new job.

I have a UK passport so can stay for 30 days on visit visa, unless problems to re-enter. Already have advice on checking I'm not registered as an absconder before coming back.

My question is: I own a car and wondering what happens about this? It is registered and insured in my name and I have a UAE driving licence.

Can anyone tell me if it is legal for me to keep and drive my car without a residence visa?

I know it's ok to drive a private car with a UAE licence, but not sure if I can legally own the car to drive or if I need to transfer ownership to a willing friend.

Thanks for any advice.

paca Aug 23rd 2011 5:11 pm

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 
Check your insurances clauses to make sure it remains valid given your status change

Patsy Stoned Aug 23rd 2011 5:25 pm

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 
You must have a residence visa to own a car..if anything happens before you get a new job your insurance will be invalid.

Meow Aug 24th 2011 7:42 am

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9577378)
You must have a residence visa to own a car..if anything happens before you get a new job your insurance will be invalid.

Correct. In addition, a UAE Driving licence is only valid in conjunction with a current residency visa.

zamboooka Aug 24th 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 

Originally Posted by bedarwen (Post 9577313)
Can anyone give advice pls:

Was working in UAE, left the job but the company agreed I could keep my residence visa. Went on vacation - company cancelled visa but of course it's not cancelled in my passport. Have to come back to UAE after Ramadan to look for new job.

I have a UK passport so can stay for 30 days on visit visa, unless problems to re-enter. Already have advice on checking I'm not registered as an absconder before coming back.

My question is: I own a car and wondering what happens about this? It is registered and insured in my name and I have a UAE driving licence.

Can anyone tell me if it is legal for me to keep and drive my car without a residence visa?

I know it's ok to drive a private car with a UAE licence, but not sure if I can legally own the car to drive or if I need to transfer ownership to a willing friend.

Thanks for any advice.


your ex employer sucks!

bedarwen Aug 31st 2011 9:02 am

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 

Originally Posted by zamboooka (Post 9579124)
your ex employer sucks!

yeah, too right.

thanks for the replies. seems there is still uncertainty about whether a UAE driving licence is invalidated with the cancellation of the visa.I found this on another forum, which refers to a court case in 2009. I can't find any other information so far... anyone know any more than this?

http://www.desertspeak.com/viewtopic.php?t=2867

bedarwen Aug 31st 2011 9:12 am

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 
Here is the original article from Gulf News - dated January 2009, so possible new changes, but I can't find anything.

The Dean Aug 31st 2011 3:43 pm

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 

Originally Posted by bedarwen (Post 9591913)
yeah, too right.

thanks for the replies. seems there is still uncertainty about whether a UAE driving licence is invalidated with the cancellation of the visa.I found this on another forum, which refers to a court case in 2009. I can't find any other information so far... anyone know any more than this?

http://www.desertspeak.com/viewtopic.php?t=2867

Actually, in my experience, if Meow and Patsy agree on something, it's almost certainly true...............

Patsy Stoned Sep 1st 2011 4:25 am

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9592560)
Actually, in my experience, if Meow and Patsy agree on something, it's almost certainly true...............

:D

Patsy Stoned Sep 1st 2011 4:52 am

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 

Originally Posted by bedarwen (Post 9591913)
yeah, too right.

thanks for the replies. seems there is still uncertainty about whether a UAE driving licence is invalidated with the cancellation of the visa.I found this on another forum, which refers to a court case in 2009. I can't find any other information so far... anyone know any more than this?

http://www.desertspeak.com/viewtopic.php?t=2867

This is from http://www.rta.ae/wpsv5/links/la/faq/index.html ( let google be your friend!!!) ;)

What are the documents required for renewing a Driving License?

If you are a Dubai resident and/or UAE national holding a passport issued in Dubai, you will need to have:

1. previously been issued with a Dubai driver's license within the last 20 years.

2. a Valid Residence Visa (except UAE Passport holders)

3. passed an Eye Test (the test results should be uploaded online from the optician)

My residency visa/commercial license is expired. Can I transact with the RTA?

You must have a valid visa/commercial license when applying for an RTA service. However you can pay your fines. Commercial companies can also renew their vehicles.

bedarwen Sep 2nd 2011 1:12 am

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 
Thanks again for your help and advice.

I have already googled this issue extensively, which is how I found the news item regarding what is referred to as a landmark ruling regarding the apparent validity of a driving licence after a visa is cancelled.

I greatly appreciate help and pointers to articles and any advice, but this issue is not regarding issuing or renewing a driving licence. Perhaps the time has come to consult a lawyer - although in the past I've had conflicting information from different lawyers about the same thing, seems the laws are not clear to any one (not sure why that surprises me!).

Meow Sep 4th 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9592560)
Actually, in my experience, if Meow and Patsy agree on something, it's almost certainly true...............

It is. I answer these types of questions all the time and check with the relevant government departments to keep up to date.

It's very simple. If you don't have a valid residency visa, then your UAE driving licence is not valid.

busybee2 Sep 4th 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 
yep i agree everything boils down to residency visa, if you dont have one then you cannot have an id card, you cannot have a sim card, you cannot have a drivers licence, you cannot have insurance, you cannot have a rental contract, you cannot have utilities etc etc.

Patsy Stoned Sep 4th 2011 6:26 pm

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 9599972)
yep i agree everything boils down to residency visa, if you dont have one then you cannot have an id card, you cannot have a sim card, you cannot have a drivers licence, you cannot have insurance, you cannot have a rental contract, you cannot have utilities etc etc.

Darling, you can have a sim card! you just go to etisalat and show your passport ..you can even pick 1 up at the airport! :)

busybee2 Sep 4th 2011 8:10 pm

Re: Question re owning car when residence visa cancelled
 

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 9600062)
Darling, you can have a sim card! you just go to etisalat and show your passport ..you can even pick 1 up at the airport! :)

ok i will elaborate you can get a visitors sim card which is valid for 90 days i think, but you cannot have a normal sim card for wasel etc until you have a visa or show drivers licence etc etc.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:12 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.