Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Question about gas bottles...

Question about gas bottles...

Old May 8th 2005, 2:00 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about gas bottles...

Originally Posted by Face81
a zillion years..... i like that. lol

AED 10 Grand? Why???

I dont think I have ever paid a deposit in Dubai in my life!

Bet you've never set up a house though
Old May 8th 2005, 2:11 pm
W10

Originally Posted by Face81
a zillion years..... i like that. lol

AED 10 Grand? Why???

I dont think I have ever paid a deposit in Dubai in my life!
Off the top of my head

5 grand for house deposit, 2 grand for DEWA deposit, 400 or 500 for deposit on gas bottles, about 100 for deposit on water bottles.

Money I won't see again:

4 grand on estate agent commission, about Dh450 on "installation" charges for phone, internet and TV.

Most embarrasingly - "more money than I will ever admit to anyone I know in the UK in Ikea"

Old May 8th 2005, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

There's nothing wrong with wanting to doll up the house. Make it glam dahlin!
Old May 8th 2005, 2:17 pm
W10

And Ikea is NOT the place to make your house glam.

It would also be better if I hadn't mercilessly mocked anyone I knew who spent more than pocket change in Ikea in the UK.

Old May 8th 2005, 2:17 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fairydust
Bet you've never set up a house though
a minor technicality.
Old May 8th 2005, 2:19 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by W10
Off the top of my head

5 grand for house deposit, 2 grand for DEWA deposit, 400 or 500 for deposit on gas bottles, about 100 for deposit on water bottles.

Money I won't see again:

4 grand on estate agent commission, about Dh450 on "installation" charges for phone, internet and TV.

Most embarrasingly - "more money than I will ever admit to anyone I know in the UK in Ikea"

hmmmm........ they have certainly been successfull in emptying ur wallet mate. lol

Not a fan of IKEA myself..... picture frames and lamp shades are all they are good for aas far as I am concerned...... oh and the 100 tea light packs that are stashed in the kitchen cupboards incase we ever lose power.
Old May 8th 2005, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by W10
And Ikea is NOT the place to make your house glam.

It would also be better if I hadn't mercilessly mocked anyone I knew who spent more than pocket change in Ikea in the UK.
Maybe TheOne next time round
Old May 8th 2005, 2:22 pm
W10

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
Maybe TheOne next time round
I will be shopping there next year. But when you have to furnish an entire house in one go :scared:

Old May 8th 2005, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by W10
I will be shopping there next year. But when you have to furnish an entire house in one go :scared:
Ahh if it weren't for credit cards, Plastic Fantastic! Are we still talking about credit cards
:scared:
Old May 8th 2005, 2:29 pm
W10

My CC bills were unhealthy to start with.

*Note to self - you do not earn 500,000 pounds a year. Adjust spending accordingly.

Old May 8th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by W10
My CC bills were unhealthy to start with.

*Note to self - you do not earn 500,000 pounds a year. Adjust spending accordingly.
I excelled myself the other day. Went shopping for a new shower curtain and came home with a new set of garden furniture!
Old May 8th 2005, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
I excelled myself the other day. Went shopping for a new shower curtain and came home with a new set of garden furniture!
PMSL Who doesn't do that :scared: It is soo tempting isn't it, you go for one thing and you can't help but notice how gorgeous the other furniture and household items look, and you pick one or two and before you know it you have a brand new sofa and new bedroom set :scared:
Old May 8th 2005, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
PMSL Who doesn't do that :scared: It is soo tempting isn't it, you go for one thing and you can't help but notice how gorgeous the other furniture and household items look, and you pick one or two and before you know it you have a brand new sofa and new bedroom set :scared:
LOL! Trouble is I still didn't get the damn shower curtain so God only knows what I'll come home with next! :scared: :scared:
Old May 8th 2005, 2:59 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
But you have been living here for a zillion years.

If you'd just moved here you'd probably have to pay a deposit.

I think I must have shelled out about Dh10,000 in deposits alone since I landed

Same here W10. I guess its pretty much the same all over the ME
Old May 8th 2005, 3:53 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malteser
Same here W10. I guess its pretty much the same all over the ME
i remember last time 1000 QR for water, 1000 QR for electric, 1000 for internet and internationalt call, i empty cheque to the house compound, blah blah blah, blah blah blah ...