Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Question about flatsharing in Dubai

Question about flatsharing in Dubai

Old Dec 24th 2012, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold
Smile Question about flatsharing in Dubai

Hey guys

11 days until I move out ().

I've been scouring flat shares on Dubizzle for the past week or so and I see many adverts that don't seem to be placed by existing residents? But rather the actual landlord of the property.

For example, "LOTS OF SPACIOUS ROOMS FOR RENT IN HORIZON TOWER, DEWA, INTERNET, MAID SERVICES INCLUDED, XXXX AED PER MONTH PLEASE CALL FOR VIEWING."

Maybe I am being too cautious, but is that normal? I don't know why it would be abnormal but I guess I expected to see an abundance of more personalised adverts along the lines of "couple of expat girls seeking flatmate to fill room, furnished, rent is xxx per month etc" rather than these standardised repetitive adverts. I guess I assumed the landlord would go through estate agents or something? I don't know...

If anyone has got any words of warning about flatshares, or tips gathered from personal experience, please do share!

Thanks!

Saff
Old Dec 25th 2012, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about flatsharing in Dubai

Wait until you are here. Talk to your workmates, there are always people looking for a flatmate. Take a service apartment for a month and get to know the place first.
Old Dec 25th 2012, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

As your research presumably shows, flat-sharing is technically illegal but is popular nevertheless. It may explain why many flatmate seekers are afraid of advertising. The other reason could be that their tenancy agreement may well specify that no subletting is permitted. Like Patsy suggested, wait until you get here. You will find adverts pinned on supermarket notice boards.
Old Dec 25th 2012, 4:32 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saff_Parker
Hey guys

11 days until I move out ().

I've been scouring flat shares on Dubizzle for the past week or so and I see many adverts that don't seem to be placed by existing residents? But rather the actual landlord of the property.

For example, "LOTS OF SPACIOUS ROOMS FOR RENT IN HORIZON TOWER, DEWA, INTERNET, MAID SERVICES INCLUDED, XXXX AED PER MONTH PLEASE CALL FOR VIEWING."

Maybe I am being too cautious, but is that normal? I don't know why it would be abnormal but I guess I expected to see an abundance of more personalised adverts along the lines of "couple of expat girls seeking flatmate to fill room, furnished, rent is xxx per month etc" rather than these standardised repetitive adverts. I guess I assumed the landlord would go through estate agents or something? I don't know...

If anyone has got any words of warning about flatshares, or tips gathered from personal experience, please do share!

Thanks!

Saff
The larger flats (3+ rooms) tend to be let out directly by the landlord, or by someone subletting. Be very careful if you're looking for a flat share. And avoid Horizon Tower.

If you're serious about looking for a flat share, I can give you details of someone I rented a room from for 16 months. Great guy. He tries to keep his flats a mix between boys and girls as it stops it from becoming too rowdy or bitchy.

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you his details.
Old Dec 25th 2012, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to beholdSaff_Parker is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
The larger flats (3+ rooms) tend to be let out directly by the landlord, or by someone subletting. Be very careful if you're looking for a flat share. And avoid Horizon Tower.

If you're serious about looking for a flat share, I can give you details of someone I rented a room from for 16 months. Great guy. He tries to keep his flats a mix between boys and girls as it stops it from becoming too rowdy or bitchy.

PM me if you're interested and I'll send you his details.
Cheers I'll drop you a line
Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Definitely avoid Horizon...I ad a hooker (hideous) follow me from reception (where she was sat without issue) up to the apartment and try to come in with me. Hateful block.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Nellie1584 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it quite easy to find flat shares? I'm moving over in early jan and I've been finding it hard to find info. I've always used gumtree for flats in London without any issue but feels like its a very different situ in Dubai
Old Dec 28th 2012, 9:48 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nellie1584
Is it quite easy to find flat shares? I'm moving over in early jan and I've been finding it hard to find info. I've always used gumtree for flats in London without any issue but feels like its a very different situ in Dubai
You want the local version; www.dubizzle.com