Reload this Page >

Quantity Surveying / Hairdressing in Dubai

Quantity Surveying / Hairdressing in Dubai

Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

richiet70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quantity Surveying / Hairdressing in Dubai

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving to the middle east, based loosely on what I have heard, read, seen about the place, it looks like an attractive place to live at the moment.

There appear to be good opportunities for construction industry professionals like myself and I would like to experience this, especially with attractive salary and career prospects.

I am confident that I could find work, but have not actively started to do so, are there any QS's out there that could give me some information?

Looking to move some time late 2009 / early 2010, are there companies that would be willing to recruit now, or do they want to take people on instantly?

My girlfriend is a hairdresser, with 10 years experience, what are the opportunities in this industry?

Sorry if this is a lengthy post, hope someone can help!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:15 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quantity Surveying / Hairdressing in Dubai

Originally Posted by richiet70
Hi,

My girlfriend and I are thinking about moving to the middle east, based loosely on what I have heard, read, seen about the place, it looks like an attractive place to live at the moment.

There appear to be good opportunities for construction industry professionals like myself and I would like to experience this, especially with attractive salary and career prospects.

I am confident that I could find work, but have not actively started to do so, are there any QS's out there that could give me some information?

Looking to move some time late 2009 / early 2010, are there companies that would be willing to recruit now, or do they want to take people on instantly?

My girlfriend is a hairdresser, with 10 years experience, what are the opportunities in this industry?

Please have a look at some posts - there is a big hit coming here in various industries, including construction, according to some...

Note to the regulars - be nice and answer the poster with your sage advise, however with a little less bile than recently!!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

richiet70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your response.

I did take the liberty of searching as I am aware people can take exception to new users posting on forums without searching!

But unfortunately people who have responded to posts similar to mine, have mostly offered advice through PM, so hopefully I will get the same treatment!

Got to start somewhere I guess.

Also on the hairdressing front, again I searched but most of the posts are quite old or actually people looking for salons to visit.

So hopefully something I have posted will count as "new material" if not I apologise (but would still be appreciative of any information! )
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:52 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I hope this isn't a case of saw the fireworks and thought WOW Dubai looks good Chartered Surveyors are being paid off right around Dubai. Hairdressing - she should get something might take a while and it isn't particularly well paid.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

Very few construction companies are recruiting at the moment and those that are are being inundated with CV's from all those about to get the boot.

Not a happy place to be for construction workers at the moment....
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:24 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Hi,

Hi Mate

As a QS do what you would do in the Uk to find a job and speak to some Agencies and search the web for jobs i.e. www.seek.com there are many many more.

Good luck if you are looking in a years time there is no point looking now as they will look nearer the time if you want to go Dec 09 look about August/September 09.

As for hairdressing no idea.

Cheers
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:46 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, as mentioned above, things have changed a lot in the last couple of months. Things could get a lot worse than the UK as the big industries here (real estate, construction, tourism) all look very vulnerable to a slowdown.

It is probably tough to get a job now I would think, and will probably get tougher over the next few months.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Amazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond reputeAmazing Grace has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you well in your search for work in the Middle East but as everyone has stated there is a lot of unsettlement at the moment with professionals being laid off due to the contruction industry being affected by the credit crunch. Perhaps nearer the time when you are thinking of coming out it MIGHT have settled down again. You stated that you and your girlfriend would be coming. Nobody has pointed out that the official line is it is not acceptable to live together as an unmarried couple.

Good luck to you both in finding your dream jobs
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

you would definately need to look nearer the time and i would say look at abu dhabi xxxx
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:22 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

ditto as above - a lot can happen in a year.
As for the hairdressing, from my limited experience, *most* people employed in salons are Phillipinas and as such, paid a near-as-dammit pittance. Your girlfriend would probably be earning less than she would in the UK (salon prices are a lot less than in the UK), so it may be a case of just keeping her in spending money!

Also, a small aside that is wierd but not... most women's beauty salons have all their windows obscured - to protect patronesses from the wandering eyes of non-related men! Just something more for her to bear in mind - she won't see much natural daylight during working hours!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
ditto as above - a lot can happen in a year.
As for the hairdressing, from my limited experience, *most* people employed in salons are Phillipinas and as such, paid a near-as-dammit pittance. Your girlfriend would probably be earning less than she would in the UK (salon prices are a lot less than in the UK), so it may be a case of just keeping her in spending money!

Also, a small aside that is wierd but not... most women's beauty salons have all their windows obscured - to protect patronesses from the wandering eyes of non-related men! Just something more for her to bear in mind - she won't see much natural daylight during working hours!
that's not true for hairdressers...most hairdressers defo aren't philippinas (lots of brits, aussies, lebanese), and there are loads of salons where the windows aren't obscured...

MM, xx
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:31 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
that's not true for hairdressers...most hairdressers defo aren't philippinas (lots of brits, aussies, lebanese), and there are loads of salons where the windows aren't obscured...

MM, xx
really? Hmm, well, I did say my experience is limited!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
really? Hmm, well, I did say my experience is limited!
hahaha, i'll let you off then...

MM, xx
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

lots of brit hairdressers in AD or brit run ones ..... and not that cheapxxx
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:33 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

all sound advice so far - you need to look close to your move date. things very bleak here at the moment and not the time for anyone in the industry to consider a move here. Saudi is probably a good bet for further down the line - it will surely be a whole different story in late 2009 anyway so best to check nearer to when you want to move

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.