Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Quality of Life Index 2005

Quality of Life Index 2005

Old Apr 10th 2005, 8:46 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quality of Life Index 2005

http://www.economist.com/theworldin/...3372495&d=2005

Courtesy of Stormz, Austraila Forum
Old Apr 10th 2005, 9:23 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Quality of Life Index 2005

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers

Ireland was at the top of this list last year as well........ funny how the U.A.E isnt anywhere to be seen. lol

Go Ireland!

Now here is something worth reading.....

http://retailtrafficmag.com/news/ret...ai_dublin_las/

Courtesy of the Oracle, ME forum and elsewhere.

---------------------------------------------------
Dubai, Dublin, Las Vegas top global real estate ranking

— Parke Chapman, Associate Editor, National Real Estate Investor

Dec 2, 2002 12:00 PM

EMAIL THIS ARTICLEE-mail this article

A survey by Jones Lang LaSalle identifies the world’s best urban real estate performers — and their findings might surprise you. According to the Chicago-based firm, the three cities that stood out over the past decade are Dubai (United Arab Emirates), Dublin (Ireland) and Las Vegas (U.S), all for "superior" performance.

Dubai came in first as the urban leader in employment and population growth; Dublin scored well consistently in terms of its economic growth and overall real estate activity; Las Vegas rounded out the trio for being "head and shoulders" above other North American cities in nearly every category.
Primedia Business - Retail Traffic, Click Here!

All of these cities have fewer than 2 million people, light regulation and a strong record of attracting skilled and educated workers. Both Las Vegas and Dubai are strong in leisure activities, while Dublin has become a key European short-stay destination.

"Our search for the essence of competitiveness is taking us away from the traditional city with its steady, reasonably predictable markets, to the fast, vibrant, technology-rich city of the future where urbanization and information go hand in hand to create new city forms and functions," says Jacques Gordon, LaSalle’s international director of research.

A second phase of the study, yet to be conducted, will identify the new metrics and predictors of success that are key to unlocking future real estate performance, and a third stage — to be finished next spring — will predict the rising urban stars.

According to Gordon, the top 10 world cities in terms of resident top company volume and high-level services are New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Chicago, Los Angeles, Frankfurt, Milan, Hong Kong and Singapore.

However, Jones Lang LaSalle cautions investors not to seek out cities strictly on the basis of rapid growth projection. "Of the cities that expanded fastest physically, only Dublin produced strong rental growth. One of the objectives of the next stage of the project is to identify cities that are evolving from ‘developing’ to ‘developed’ status and so are more likely to generate sustained investment performance," says William Maher, investment management’s director of North American research and strategy.
-------------------------------------------------
Old Apr 10th 2005, 10:17 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

My poor country nearly on the bottom of the list
Old Apr 10th 2005, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by novita77
My poor country nearly on the bottom of the list
Which will be why you're in Doha instead!!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 12:47 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
Which will be why you're in Doha instead!!
Hik ... i guess so
Old Apr 12th 2005, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

If you had the chance, how many would give up Dubai to live permantly in Australia?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:03 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Majj
If you had the chance, how many would give up Dubai to live permantly in Australia?
Me.

have been offered the chance to go over to Sydney next year.

Love Dubai, but at times it seems like one big transit lounge.
VERY few people stay, retire and grow old here. I think the lack of "permanent" residency or citizenship keeps you thinking that you can never stay here forever, and that in turn keeps me slightly unsettled.

I dont know if i will go to Aus, depends what other opportunities come along before next year.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:04 am
Up in the air

Me.

have been offered the chance to go over to Sydney next year.

Love Dubai, but at times it seems like one big transit lounge.
VERY few people stay, retire and grow old here. I think the lack of "permanent" residency or citizenship keeps you thinking that you can never stay here forever, and that in turn keeps me slightly unsettled.

I dont know if i will go to Aus, depends what other opportunities come along before next year.
Even though i live here...... it still feels like a stop-over at times
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:05 am
Up in the air

What prompted you to ask the question ?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:18 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Mexico and Costa Rica!!!!
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

What prompted you to ask the question ?
Similiarly, like yourself, I also have the chance to move to Australia, but because of the huge distance am not sure of the move. Just really wondering what people are here for, is the climate, and then if that climate was available in a Western country, would people go for it rather than live in Dubai. If you see what I mean.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Similiarly, like yourself, I also have the chance to move to Australia, but because of the huge distance am not sure of the move. Just really wondering what people are here for, is the climate, and then if that climate was available in a Western country, would people go for it rather than live in Dubai. If you see what I mean.
Here for the climate, good grief no. For the next 5-6 months the weather is terrible! IMHO Australia has a much better climate, but it also has tax, crime and is just too far away from the UK. I don't know how long I'll be in Dubai for but even though I own property here it will never be "home".
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:14 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
Even though I own property here it will never be "home".

Thats the BIGGEST problem here!!!!!