Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar, with or without family?

Qatar, with or without family?

Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

dono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant future
Default Qatar, with or without family?

Hi all,
I've been offered a post with QP in Doha and will join in May. I'm married with 2 kids (4 and 1). We're weighing the pros and cons of mobilizing them with me at first, or after a couple of months. What do you think guys? BTW the employer is providing the housing and all. Thx
Old Mar 13th 2012, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar, with or without family?

I would suggest you go there on your own first, get settled in, find somewhere to live (I know you say the employer is providing this, but it may not be straight-away and you may have to find it yourself, they may just be paying for it), sort out the furniture and amenities before uprooting your young family.

You never know, you may not like it there (or they may not like you) so may decide it's not for you anyway.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Though others may not agree, I would say go on your own. That way you can find your way around, find a house etc and it will will make your wife and kids landing pretty much stress free. Nothing like needing a pharmacy on day 1 and not having a clue where to find one etc
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

dono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant futuredono has a brilliant future

Interesting points. Are there in the forum any who moved as a family (with kids), can you share your experience? Is it really that big deal to move together? We'll be provided furnished housing for 3 months, and our guess is we'll be able to find future accomodation during that period.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:58 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

They provide housing for the first three months as this is the same length as your probation period. The sensible approach is to come on your own for the first three months and get through the probation period.

During the first three months you do the groundwork on schools, housing, transport etc so as when the family arrive they will have a soft landing.

You also need to consider what to do with your home contents etc - QP will ship all your furniture and unfurnished places here are the preference due to the low standard of furniture locally. When you go home after the first three months to collect the family it is an ideal time to ship everyting if you choose this approach. There is a lot to be said for coming home at night and sitting on your own sofa, going to your own bed, and seeing the kids with all their toys and bikes.

Everyone's situation is slightly different and you need to decide what's best for you. Realise however that getting through your probation here is a major milstone.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. How about transportation during probation? I'm thinking of renting a car until everything is settled, then I can use the loan from the company, doable or any better idea?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:19 pm
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

Doable - around 200 quid a month for something small and 500 - 600 quid a month for a 4 x 4. You will need to shop around
Old Mar 13th 2012, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would also suggest a lobotomy
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

youngdoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by abbey08
Doable - around 200 quid a month for something small and 500 - 600 quid a month for a 4 x 4. You will need to shop around
who would you recommend for car hire?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
I would also suggest a lobotomy
Don't worry there's not another ash cloud coming.....
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

If it was KSA then I would say come alone, but Doha is reasonably family friendly. Why miss your young ones growing up?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:53 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I got here last week a couple of tips, go to a post office and get an International Driving Permit, costs a fiver and bring that with you (Take a passport photo to post office) I have rented a Parero from Oasis www.oasis.net, run by an expat excellent service and good rates for longer hire whilst you sort out your bank account etc to buy a car.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dono
Hi all,
I've been offered a post with QP in Doha and will join in May. I'm married with 2 kids (4 and 1). We're weighing the pros and cons of mobilizing them with me at first, or after a couple of months. What do you think guys? BTW the employer is providing the housing and all. Thx
Come on your own , sort all the crap out , get the job sorted and then get the family here. That's the way i always do it .

It gives you time to make things as smooth as possible for when they get here. If they get here and they're happy and settled you'll have saved yourself a lot of grief .
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:59 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I got here last week a couple of tips, go to a post office and get an International Driving Permit, costs a fiver and bring that with you (Take a passport photo to post office) I have rented a Parero from Oasis www.oasis.net, run by an expat excellent service and good rates for longer hire whilst you sort out your bank account etc to buy a car.
Its actually www.oasiscars.net
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by britexpat76
good tip, some rental companies will accept an international driving permit, but it is not legal to drive on a IP. A friend has just spent 24 hours in prison following an accident. You should use your UK licence to obtain a temporary Qatar driving licence

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.