Qatar Services

Old Dec 24th 2014, 6:20 am
Just Joined

SignalsRugbyDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Qatar Services

Moving to Doha in the New Year so would like some advice on phones and internet services please.

Which mobile phone network is the best (and why)?

Is domestic internet any good in Doha and is it best to go for 4G internet or the service that comes through the phone line/cable/fibre?

Grateful for any opinions.
Old Dec 24th 2014, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Qatar Services

You've only got a choice between Ooredoo (the new name for QTel) and Vodafone. Not much choice between them to be honest. They both now have 4G too.

For home internet it depends where you live. If you're in a fibre network area go for that. You can get up to 100 Mbps (for a price) but it's pretty reliable and quick.
Old Apr 5th 2015, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Location: Originally from Colchester but moving to Doha in August
redbenny78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are either of you able to give a very rough price for internet? I just want to make sure that i'm not paying the 'newly arrived ignorant foreigner who can be fleeced price'...
Old Apr 6th 2015, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redbenny78
Are either of you able to give a very rough price for internet? I just want to make sure that i'm not paying the 'newly arrived ignorant foreigner who can be fleeced price'...
You'll get fleeced with everything in this place , both providers have set tarrifis and services which can be found on their respective websites. Ooredoo are the internet and fibre optic providers plus cable tv.

It does the job , it's all relative to where you are . I don't find them any better of worse than any of the others around in the Gulf . Basically great websites and marketing coupled with shit services and sky high prices.

Par for the course as they say
Old Apr 6th 2015, 2:33 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Q-tel installed fibre optic broadband in my apartment last month, and I never asked for it. Shared with two other apartments though, so maybe they organised it. Here's what the kit looks like in the hallway. The big, light grey boxes are the fibre optic ones.

I get about 10Mbps down, 1Mbps up at peak time over my V_P_N. Old Al Salatha area, bottom of the Corniche.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Location: Originally from Colchester but moving to Doha in August
redbenny78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. It's good to know that I'm pretty much certain to get fleeced in some way or other...