British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Qatar - Seeking advice regarding final salary and gratuity payment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/qatar-seeking-advice-regarding-final-salary-gratuity-payment-922438/)

Irish wife Feb 25th 2019 3:07 pm

Qatar - Seeking advice regarding final salary and gratuity payment

Good evening everyone

I am looking for legal advice about the final payment of salary and gratuity please. I was told today about my company's plans for when I leave in June.

My husband, 2 children and I arrived 3 years ago and will all be leaving in June. My husband works for a British school and we are all under his sponsorship. I started working for the same school a year later as local hire and still under my husband's sponsorship.

We get paid on the 27th of every month. This happens to be out last work day in June. Today we were told they would pay our final salary on Thursday 27th June but they would be withholding our gratuity until the Sunday 29th June. They would be freezing our accounts on Thursday 27th until the Sunday and that on the Sunday we would be required to go in person to the bank to transfer our money to the UK and close the account.

The school owner says this is because exit visas no longer exist and she needs to be sure we aren't in debt and so no one can 'do a runner'. All the other leavers live in company owned accommodation so have had to pay a security deposit to the company. We live in our own accomodation, paid our own rental deposit and Kharamaa deposit. We will be moving out our villa in advance to clear the deposits through my husband's account. We have already closed our credit cards.

​​​​​​So , basically I don't understand how the company can withhold my gratuity over a weekend and force me to stay longer in order to claim my money. I can vaguely see why my husband is required to stay - although he has no debts to the company but they are his sponsor and he requires their permission to leave. I am not under their sponsorship nor have any debts to them or anywhere else as everything had to be in my husband's name. My credit card has already been cancelled for 2 months.

Last year, when staff left, their final salary and gratuity was paid on the same day as exit visas were still in place. They were all able to clear the off boarding in the last week of work and leave.

Is there anyone out there who knows if this is in fact a legal requirement? Or normal and morally correct practice? To be honest I have been so cross after finding this out and it only reinforces our reasons for leaving. In all our other overseas placements we have never been treated like this.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

reddiva Feb 26th 2019 3:42 am

Re: Qatar - Seeking advice regarding final salary and gratuity payment

Originally Posted by Irish wife (Post 12643558)
Good evening everyone

I am looking for legal advice about the final payment of salary and gratuity please. I was told today about my company's plans for when I leave in June.

My husband, 2 children and I arrived 3 years ago and will all be leaving in June. My husband works for a British school and we are all under his sponsorship. I started working for the same school a year later as local hire and still under my husband's sponsorship.

We get paid on the 27th of every month. This happens to be out last work day in June. Today we were told they would pay our final salary on Thursday 27th June but they would be withholding our gratuity until the Sunday 29th June. They would be freezing our accounts on Thursday 27th until the Sunday and that on the Sunday we would be required to go in person to the bank to transfer our money to the UK and close the account.

The school owner says this is because exit visas no longer exist and she needs to be sure we aren't in debt and so no one can 'do a runner'. All the other leavers live in company owned accommodation so have had to pay a security deposit to the company. We live in our own accomodation, paid our own rental deposit and Kharamaa deposit. We will be moving out our villa in advance to clear the deposits through my husband's account. We have already closed our credit cards.

​​​​​​So , basically I don't understand how the company can withhold my gratuity over a weekend and force me to stay longer in order to claim my money. I can vaguely see why my husband is required to stay - although he has no debts to the company but they are his sponsor and he requires their permission to leave. I am not under their sponsorship nor have any debts to them or anywhere else as everything had to be in my husband's name. My credit card has already been cancelled for 2 months.

Last year, when staff left, their final salary and gratuity was paid on the same day as exit visas were still in place. They were all able to clear the off boarding in the last week of work and leave.

Is there anyone out there who knows if this is in fact a legal requirement? Or normal and morally correct practice? To be honest I have been so cross after finding this out and it only reinforces our reasons for leaving. In all our other overseas placements we have never been treated like this.

I would go and speak to the Ministry Of Labor i dont think anyone on here lives/works in Doha. There was one poster but i think he has gone back to the UK. In Dubai my boss transfers the EOSB then cancels the visa ( on the same day)

co durham boy Feb 26th 2019 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Irish wife (Post 12643558)
Good evening everyone

I wouldn't mention morals and Qatar in the same sentence as they're not compatible. The employer can inform the bank automatically of final salary payment then I believe it would be the banks prerogative to freeze any account if they had monies owed .

Your employer is probably just using the usual dick you about routine as it's just common place for these people to have the final touch of control . My advice would be if you and your husband are debt free and don't have any liabilities then just take a deep breath and work your way through the final painful process.

Your main aim is to get your cash and depart , you may be 3-4 days late or even a week but just ride it out , I gave myself a week to tie up loose ends when I left Doha and to be honest I needed it with Villa handovers and utilities not to mention the banks .

The pain of Doha will soon be a thing of the past , freedom awaits . Good Luck !!

OriginalSunshine Mar 1st 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12644061)
I wouldn't mention morals and Qatar in the same sentence as they're not compatible. The employer can inform the bank automatically of final salary payment then I believe it would be the banks prerogative to freeze any account if they had monies owed .

Your employer is probably just using the usual dick you about routine as it's just common place for these people to have the final touch of control . My advice would be if you and your husband are debt free and don't have any liabilities then just take a deep breath and work your way through the final painful process.

Your main aim is to get your cash and depart , you may be 3-4 days late or even a week but just ride it out , I gave myself a week to tie up loose ends when I left Doha and to be honest I needed it with Villa handovers and utilities not to mention the banks .

The pain of Doha will soon be a thing of the past , freedom awaits . Good Luck !!

exactly this

Dictator1 Mar 1st 2019 12:35 pm

You will not regret leaving Qatar.

I recently left Qatar. Your bank account doesn’t need to be closed at the spot. It will remain open for next 3 months. I guess safe option is to transfer all money while you are there.

DOHDUBMAN Mar 2nd 2019 11:35 am

Its because all loans and finance in Doha is secured against your company. When you are asking for an NOC from your company you are basically getting their permission for a loan/finance. They can also be liable. Now you may have no loans or finance secured against your company but this is the due process. Your final settlement is processed and anything you owe is reduced from that. Once that is complete you can leave. Also you mentioned that your credit card has been closed for 2 months? Your account needs to stay open a further month before completely closing down.

co durham boy Mar 3rd 2019 3:07 am

Originally Posted by DOHDUBMAN (Post 12646597)
Its because all loans and finance in Doha is secured against your company. When you are asking for an NOC from your company you are basically getting their permission for a loan/finance. They can also be liable. Now you may have no loans or finance secured against your company but this is the due process. Your final settlement is processed and anything you owe is reduced from that. Once that is complete you can leave. Also you mentioned that your credit card has been closed for 2 months? Your account needs to stay open a further month before completely closing down.

That's not entirely true , it's against the individual only . The banks sell on any bad debt to recovery agencies and they chase the individual not the sponsor . When I signed basic NOC letters for employees for credit we made sure we stipulated that this letter did not connect us to any agreement that would be with the bank and employee.

carcajou Mar 3rd 2019 10:29 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12644061)

Yeah, pretty much. Give yourself a week or two of breathing space to get everything sorted out. It isn't uncommon for gratuities to come out separately from the final pay, and a bit later. Be grateful it's not months later anymore.