British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Qatar salary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/qatar-salary-929345/)

Meganp Nov 18th 2019 10:20 am

Qatar salary

Hi all,

I have recently accepted a teaching position in Doha, earning 8000 QR monthly. I know this is minimal but as I've only got one year experience teaching I thought this would do as a stepping stone to future jobs? HOWEVER I am now worried I won't be able to afford food (I'm vegetarian so this may be cheaper) and any outings (aka brunches maybe? or just general dinner etc) I want to do on the weekend lol? (these are the only things I will have to pay for)

Is anyone over there able to help me or offer me some input on what I will be able to afford/the rough cost of things as I'm finding it difficult to gauge this?

pleeeease and thankyou

Millhouse Nov 18th 2019 10:57 am

Re: Qatar salary

Originally Posted by Meganp (Post 12765341)
Hi all,

I have recently accepted a teaching position in Doha, earning 8000 QR monthly. I know this is minimal but as I've only got one year experience teaching I thought this would do as a stepping stone to future jobs? HOWEVER I am now worried I won't be able to afford food (I'm vegetarian so this may be cheaper) and any outings (aka brunches maybe? or just general dinner etc) I want to do on the weekend lol? (these are the only things I will have to pay for)

Is anyone over there able to help me or offer me some input on what I will be able to afford/the rough cost of things as I'm finding it difficult to gauge this?

pleeeease and thankyou

Do you get housing?

Meganp Nov 18th 2019 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12765354)
Do you get housing?

Yes, accommodation, flights, transport, insurance etc is all included. Only food and anything I want to do otherwise is not included.

Millhouse Nov 18th 2019 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Meganp (Post 12765374)

Yes, accommodation, flights, transport, insurance etc is all included. Only food and anything I want to do otherwise is not included.

You could save 5k a month. 3k buys a lot of avocados.

Meganp Nov 18th 2019 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12765380)

You could save 5k a month. 3k buys a lot of avocados.

Hahah yess!! This is the help I needed! I’ve been seeing loads of posts about other people’s salaries which are 5x if not more than mine and replies saying they might struggle etc so I was concerned! Thankyou 🙏🏼

Millhouse Nov 18th 2019 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Meganp (Post 12765388)

Hahah yess!! This is the help I needed! I’ve been seeing loads of posts about other people’s salaries which are 5x if not more than mine and replies saying they might struggle etc so I was concerned! Thankyou 🙏🏼

they probably don’t have the other benefits.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a lot of money but if all your basic costs are covered then everything else is under your control. I spend 1500dh/month on food for 3 including a lot of meat. We cook everything. You will burn a lot on drinking etc. If not careful.

I know teachers here on 10k, and saving 5k. Getting smashed every Tuesday and a couple of brunches a month. Get into sport as it’s cheaper.

Meganp Nov 18th 2019 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12765398)

they probably don’t have the other benefits.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a lot of money but if all your basic costs are covered then everything else is under your control. I spend 1500dh/month on food for 3 including a lot of meat. We cook everything. You will burn a lot on drinking etc. If not careful.

I know teachers here on 10k, and saving 5k. Getting smashed every Tuesday and a couple of brunches a month. Get into sport as it’s cheaper.

I am earning minimal where I am now so anything that I can save is a bonus :)

Sounds ideal to me! There's a gym and pool in the accommodation so that will help hopefully!

DXBtoDOH Nov 18th 2019 3:59 pm

I budgeted 1k a week for living expenses including food and transportation and social activities. Rarely did brunch, however. Not my thing. And thought I lived well enough.

You'll likely have transportation covered to work so your only transportation outgoings will be on weekends. 1k a week will be more than enough and will probably even allow some of the cheaper brunches. 250 max for weekly groceries at Carrefour/Lulu, rest to play around with. More than enough.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 19th 2019 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12765398)
I spend 1500dh/month on food for 3 including a lot of meat.

Wow.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 19th 2019 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Meganp (Post 12765341)
Hi all,

pleeeease and thankyou

You'll be fine on that. Just don't expect to be extravagant, that's all.

Ignore what other people earn, half are lying anyway. If you blow a thousand a week on booze, food, fags and fun then you still bank best part of a grand in sterling.

Millhouse Nov 19th 2019 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12765742)
Wow.

too low?

maybe it’s a bit more but not much is my guess.

scrubbedexpat141 Nov 19th 2019 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12765745)

too low?

maybe it’s a bit more but not much is my guess.

Seems it, but then your baby won't each much I guess.
I reckon we do about 4-500 a week for food, roll up to 6-650 if we are being big spuds.
Thoroughly enjoying Kibsons at the moment, very convenient, reasonably great quality and definitely cheaper.

Millhouse Nov 19th 2019 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12765747)
Seems it, but then your baby won't each much I guess.
I reckon we do about 4-500 a week for food, roll up to 6-650 if we are being big spuds.
Thoroughly enjoying Kibsons at the moment, very convenient, reasonably great quality and definitely cheaper.

yeh. Kibsons is the way forward. Great quality and amazingly good value.

Lets hope the sponsors have deep pockets - they must be burning cash left right and center.

I reckon its 800 a month on meat, 700 on veg, carbs and milk. The baby milk would be on top.

Standanista Nov 20th 2019 1:55 am

If your accommodation and transport are paid you can live here for very little. Vegetables and other staples in places like Carrefour and bottom-end supermarkets are not much different to back-home prices at Sainsbury's and Tesco. Alcohol is where you burn cash. It's good to get a QDC card for Qatar's only bottle shop, or a friend who's got one. A half-decent bottle of red wine from there will cost you around QR50-60. Most bars have happy hours, plus there are plenty of Ladies' Nights where you can drink for free or not much. Brunching gets expensive, anything between QR300-500 a go plus more on top for the afterparty if you kick on (QR45 for a small bottle of Heineken in The Rooftop last Friday, for example, but that's top-end pricing). The Metro is in the process of opening, which is a cheap and quick way to get around (QR2 per trip, free for the rest of the day after 3 trips). Red Line Section 1 is open and the Gold Line opens this Thursday, with the rest to follow soon.

scot47 Nov 20th 2019 4:16 am

Adopt an Asian or Filipino lifestyle. Avoid the traps of consumerism.