Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar resident travelling into Dubai

Qatar resident travelling into Dubai

Old Apr 18th 2019, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

cookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of lightcookiedad is a glorious beacon of light
Default Qatar resident travelling into Dubai

I am a British passport holder who flew in with family from the UK into Dubai for holiday. As a background, I work in Qatar but my family lives in the UK. At the immigration in Dubai we were asked if we lived in Qatar. I informed the officer than I work in Qatar and my family is based in the UK. So he let my wife and kids go through and asked to me to go to another counter. At that counter they took my passport and Qatar ID and was made to wait . After about 30 minutes one of the officers came out to ask me where I was staying in Dubai (I was visiting family), Emirates ID of the family member, my mobile phone number and the phone number of the family member. I was then let through.

I know of a colleague who travelled on road from Oman and was made to wait a few hours at the crossing. However another colleague who flew into Dubai airport was let through with no questions asked. I am not sure if people had a similar experience (i.e. being subject to extra checks) so wanted to check. Based on limited data it feels very random and dependent on the immigration officer checking the passport!
Old Apr 18th 2019, 2:05 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar resident travelling into Dubai

We have a Finnish friend who travels often between Doha and Dubai via Muscat and has never, as yet, had any problems at DXB.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 5:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Not heard of anyone being checked.

We recently relocated a guy from Doha but his family stayed there. He has residency for Qatar and now UAE in the same passport, without issue. We checked thoroughly first but were still nervous processing it!
Old Apr 21st 2019, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

When i last went to Doha, Doha immigration asked me how long i was staying for and at which hotel
It is probably just a random thing
Old Apr 24th 2019, 6:07 am
Just Joined

johnarsu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cookiedad
I am a British passport holder who flew in with family from the UK into Dubai for holiday. As a background, I work in Qatar but my family lives in the UK. At the immigration in Dubai we were asked if we lived in Qatar. I informed the officer than I work in Qatar and my family is based in the UK. So he let my wife and kids go through and asked to me to go to another counter. At that counter they took my passport and Qatar ID and was made to wait . After about 30 minutes one of the officers came out to ask me where I was staying in Dubai (I was visiting family), Emirates ID of the family member, my mobile phone number and the phone number of the family member. I was then let through.

I know of a colleague who travelled on road from Oman and was made to wait a few hours at the crossing. However another colleague who flew into Dubai airport was let through with no questions asked. I am not sure if people had a similar experience (i.e. being subject to extra checks) so wanted to check. Based on limited data it feels very random and dependent on the immigration officer checking the passport!
Remember they can be pretty racist in the ME. If you are not white even though you have a U.K. passport they don't consider you as a British national in their eyes. All my Indian friends (all Indian passport holders) have to go through the same process you described, but they get in no issue after 30 minutes at the other desk/room.
Old Apr 30th 2019, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cookiedad

Not random. The exact same thing has happened to me twice now. All of the above but they scanned my passport at the immigration counter also. Very polite and apologetic but definitely singled out