Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Qatar Resident Permit Requirements

Qatar Resident Permit Requirements

Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Qatar Resident Permit Requirements

Anyone know the current requirements for getting a work permit/resident permit for British citizens in Qatar

1) Education certificates - do these have to be endorsed /
2) Medical examination - I heard this is now to be done at private medical centres.
3) Spouse - does the marriage certificate have to be endorsed. in UK or at the British embassy
Etc.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qatar Resident Permit Requirements

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
Anyone know the current requirements for getting a work permit/resident permit for British citizens in Qatar

1) Education certificates - do these have to be endorsed /
2) Medical examination - I heard this is now to be done at private medical centres.
3) Spouse - does the marriage certificate have to be endorsed. in UK or at the British embassy
Etc.
1. Attested documents will be required if applicable to your job

2. Medical is currently done here in Qatar , there is plans for a change but nothing concrete yet.

3. My marriage certs were submitted as per normal and no problems with them to secure my wifes visa.

All can be done if needed at the British Embassy here but it's pretty expensive . Your P.R.O or H.R should tell you what is specifically needed as well.

http://portal.www.gov.qa/wps/portal/frontpage gives you all the official crap
Old Nov 30th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Thanks I last obtained a Resident permit for Qatar in 2005/6: then all I needed was a police clearance certificate. Now we seem to need everything but a police clearance certificate.

Our PRO is a freelancer and absolutely useless. We don't have HR.

Previously we had medicals at the ministry: queued up with everybody else. I am told that this time we have to go to a private clinic at QR 800 each.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 3:41 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

I went through the RP process in September and required a CRB from the UK. I am not sure if this is standard or because I am working for a government organisation but the police check was a must have. The easiest one to get is a Basic Disclosure via an organisation called Disclosure Scotland www.disclosurescotland.co.uk and will show only unspent convictions.

This is the only route for you to apply on your own and you can only request a basic level of disclosure which shows up pretty much nothing unless you are of the paedo rapist variety. Standard Disclosure can only be carried out by your employer or the agency that is placing you and will show all spent convictions the police national computer has on file e.g drink driving offences from say ten years ago. The good thing about Disclosure Scotland (and you can apply even if you live in England) is you can apply online and they send you the result in about two weeks.

Last edited by abbey08; Dec 1st 2011 at 3:43 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:38 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

I went through the RP process about a year ago. The process is random - like everything else out here - but here's my experience.

* I needed my original educational/ professional certificates, but they were not attested. Working as as a Civil Engineer.

* Passport must have a few empty pages and preferably a few years to go 'till renewal date, since the RP/ work visa/ Id gets glued onto one of the pages. You also get a plastic Id card.

* Needed two passport photos, which you can get while you wait at City Centre mall - Kodak shop, 1st floor, far end.

* My medical was at the public health centre somewhere on the south-side, near Woqood Roundabout. Huge queue of Indian labourers which I skipped (Egyptian PRO helps). Gave blood sample (checked the 'doctor' used a sterile needle) and underwent an X-ray TB check. Then off to a separate private clinic nearby to get my blood group certified. Results take about a week to come through.

* Also needed to go to an Immigration/ Police centre near Industrial Interchange to get fingerprinted/ photographed/ retina scanned. No need for other police checks/ disclosure/ clearance certificates etc.

* Not sure about marriage certs. - Family remain back in the UK, at least for now.

* There's a hefty charge of about QR1k for the RP for a professional person, payable each year. Employer pays.

* All in all, probably about 3 weeks to complete from start to finish.

Hope this helps.
[J]
Old Dec 4th 2011, 9:23 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

I am dealing with the family now in terms of putting them on my RP. My advice would be to get your marriage certificate certified in the UK the same as you would do for your educational certificates. Immigration rejected my wife's inclusion on the RP till this is done. They have not requested that we certify my sons birth certificate, but in this place the rules seem to change depending on who you talk to. The problem we have is that we are in Qatar with the marriage certificate and need to send it back to the UK to have it legalised and sent back to Qatar. This takes time and costs a bit.

You should get everything that you think you might need legalised, educational certificates, marriage certificates, birth certificates to be on the safe side.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I've tended to find in the UAE, if you have to approach a government department where there appears to be no rules, take a ticket from the machine, and take another one 3 minutes later. If you don't get the answer you wan from the first person, then hopefully the second ticket gives you a different person where you will get a different answer.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:00 am
Just Joined

delton is an unknown quantity at this point

When it states 'education documents' does all education documents from secondary school have to be given (ie GCSE's) or just the highest education documents that would be related to the job position. I hold a Engineering degree, and wishing to find work as an engineer, would that engineering degree document be okay?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delton
When it states 'education documents' does all education documents from secondary school have to be given (ie GCSE's) or just the highest education documents that would be related to the job position. I hold a Engineering degree, and wishing to find work as an engineer, would that engineering degree document be okay?
Yes
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am not making much progress. The British Embassy in Doha give me this advise:

Educational , birth and marriage certificates must be authenticated in the country of their origin.

British documents should be:

Notarised by a solicitor in the UK.
Sent to the legalisation department of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in Milton Keynes.
Brought to the British Embassy in Doha where the embassy will attest the FCO stamp.
Taken to Ministry of Foreign affairs in Doha.

The Embassy recommend the following courier companies who can secure the stamps required in the uk. www.jestomexpress.com & www.vitalcertificate.com

http://ukinqatar.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...ise-a-document

www.fco.gov.uk/legalisation

I think I will just stick with my tourist visa and visit Bubai every 30 days.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

function_analysis is an unknown quantity at this point

Went through process 15 DAYS before, exactly the same steps followed. Although I'm not British, it seems that the rule applies to all Europeans.

Good luck, the process in Doha is civilized/westernized, real piece of cake in comparison to what I went through in Saudia (no residence permit obtained there at the end, only 3MTS business visa).

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11
I went through the RP process about a year ago. The process is random - like everything else out here - but here's my experience.

* I needed my original educational/ professional certificates, but they were not attested. Working as as a Civil Engineer.

* Passport must have a few empty pages and preferably a few years to go 'till renewal date, since the RP/ work visa/ Id gets glued onto one of the pages. You also get a plastic Id card.

* Needed two passport photos, which you can get while you wait at City Centre mall - Kodak shop, 1st floor, far end.

* My medical was at the public health centre somewhere on the south-side, near Woqood Roundabout. Huge queue of Indian labourers which I skipped (Egyptian PRO helps). Gave blood sample (checked the 'doctor' used a sterile needle) and underwent an X-ray TB check. Then off to a separate private clinic nearby to get my blood group certified. Results take about a week to come through.

* Also needed to go to an Immigration/ Police centre near Industrial Interchange to get fingerprinted/ photographed/ retina scanned. No need for other police checks/ disclosure/ clearance certificates etc.

* Not sure about marriage certs. - Family remain back in the UK, at least for now.

* There's a hefty charge of about QR1k for the RP for a professional person, payable each year. Employer pays.

* All in all, probably about 3 weeks to complete from start to finish.

Hope this helps.
[J]
Old Dec 25th 2011, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

ozze is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Abbey
Wonder if you can provide some information
I just had an offer from Qatar and they have asked me to start police clearance process in uk.

About 8 years ago i was arrested but not cautioned or had any conviction, it was a matter of being in the wrong place at a wrong time.

Since then i have been working and had 3 CRB checks ( 3 different employers) and it always came clean.

Not sure if police check done by ACPO website will include the information on my arrest.

you mentioned in your post that disclosure scotland provide the basic disclousre, can i please check if that is acceptable in qatar and can be used for RP. secondly does this disclouser certificate needs to be attested by british foreign office in UK

thanks & would appreciate the prompt reply
Old Dec 26th 2011, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Ozze, I am amazed by the police clearance process that you've been asked for. Actually, I was asked for this very same process when I called the Qatari Embassy in Athens, however my PRO in Doha categorically denied this is the practice, at least for the Europeans.

Who was asked this from? Have you contacted your company's PRO?

Originally Posted by ozze
Hi Abbey
Wonder if you can provide some information
I just had an offer from Qatar and they have asked me to start police clearance process in uk.

About 8 years ago i was arrested but not cautioned or had any conviction, it was a matter of being in the wrong place at a wrong time.

Since then i have been working and had 3 CRB checks ( 3 different employers) and it always came clean.

Not sure if police check done by ACPO website will include the information on my arrest.

you mentioned in your post that disclosure scotland provide the basic disclousre, can i please check if that is acceptable in qatar and can be used for RP. secondly does this disclouser certificate needs to be attested by british foreign office in UK

thanks & would appreciate the prompt reply
Old Dec 26th 2011, 10:02 am
Just Joined

ozze is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by function_analysis
Ozze, I am amazed by the police clearance process that you've been asked for. Actually, I was asked for this very same process when I called the Qatari Embassy in Athens, however my PRO in Doha categorically denied this is the practice, at least for the Europeans.

Who was asked this from? Have you contacted your company's PRO?
Thanks for you reply; i have been asked by HR manager from one of the governmental organisation in Qatar. read few other links and i think it is a common practice to ask for police clearance certificate and to have it attested by Foreign and Commonwealth Office london & then by Qatar embassy in UK.
I have applied online for basic disclosure through Disclosure Scotland, £25 these days , their turnarround time is 2 weeks

Legalisation by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office cost £30 on top
Old Dec 26th 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Qatar Resident Permit Requirements

Things seem different when it comes to governmental organizations. Don't tell me it's Ashgal....!

Good luck anyway

Originally Posted by ozze
Thanks for you reply; i have been asked by HR manager from one of the governmental organisation in Qatar. read few other links and i think it is a common practice to ask for police clearance certificate and to have it attested by Foreign and Commonwealth Office london & then by Qatar embassy in UK.
I have applied online for basic disclosure through Disclosure Scotland, £25 these days , their turnarround time is 2 weeks

Legalisation by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office cost £30 on top

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.